Question about a past coach?

northgajacket

Banned
I was wondering why Pepper Rodgers was really unpopular during his tenure at The Flats? I know he had a pretty mediocre record at Tech, but I have always heard that fans and alumni hated his personality.

What was the deal?

Thanks

I was wondering why Pepper Rodgers was really unpopular during his tenure at The Flats? I know he had a pretty mediocre record at Tech, but I have always heard that fans and alumni hated his personality.

What was the deal?

Thanks
When he started at Tech, I think everybody thought his antics were funny, but after awhile, at least IMO, they got old, and they just weren't funny anymore. Plus his coaching really seemed to go down over the years, after such a bright start and beating the mutts in Athens. Too bad, because if he had ever got his priorities straight, he could have been a great coach. Like Johnson, though, he never could mount a good defense, even with players who overall were better than the players on D we have today.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow

What was the deal?

Thanks
If anyone thinks Trump and Obama are world class narcissists, they should have met Pepper. He was not easy to take, even while he was winning, although winning softened the sharp edges a lot. Unfortunately, he lost as much as he won and we weren't too disappointed to see him go.

Last edited:

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

What was the deal?

Thanks
A lot of it was cultural. Pepper absolutely embodied the whole 1970s groovy attitude right down to the perm haircut. Some of it was an extreme dislike among alumni. One of whom told me that Pepper's antics as a player did not always endear him to his teammates. He was just one of those guys that people either hated or liked there was very little middle ground. He did not cultivate relationships with either former players or alumni. He was rather popular with local media however. Just one of those things. His teams had their moments but poor recruiting and in some cases poor coaching led to a premature dismissal.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Antics? Like what?

If you don't mind me asking?

My dad told me he was brash and rubbed people the wrong way.

Well, since you asked. There was the spectacle of him leading his teams at Kansas on the field by doing cartwheels. One time playing against Dan Devine''s Missouri team, Coach Devine's Tigers were up several touchdowns and called timeout with just seconds to go to run the score up on the Jayhawks. Pepper, being Pepper, flashed him the peace sign and the story goes that Devine gave him half of it back. When recruiting a running back, may have been Hershel, he landed on the high school football field in a helocopter. At a pep rally before the Notre Dame game, he grabbed a box of Lucky Charms cereal as a prop giving his speech. There are plenty of Pepper stories, he was definitely one of a kind. Heaven knows what he did in California when he coached at UCLA before coming to Tech. If he had to do it all over again, he probably wished he stayed at UCLA. For better or worse, that Pepper was something else.

northgajacket

Banned
Well, since you asked. There was the spectacle of him leading his teams at Kansas on the field by doing cartwheels. One time playing against Dan Devine''s Missouri team, Coach Devine's Tigers were up several touchdowns and called timeout with just seconds to go to run the score up on the Jayhawks. Pepper, being Pepper, flashed him the peace sign and the story goes that Devine gave him half of it back. When recruiting a running back, may have been Hershel, he landed on the high school football field in a helocopter. At a pep rally before the Notre Dame game, he grabbed a box of Lucky Charms cereal as a prop giving his speech. There are plenty of Pepper stories, he was definitely one of a kind. Heaven knows what he did in California when he coached at UCLA before coming to Tech. If he had to do it all over again, he probably wished he stayed at UCLA. For better or worse, that Pepper was something else.

Yeah I bet he wished he had stayed at UCLA.

thanks

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
So you're saying he was actually Jim Harbaugh in disguise?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
So you're saying he was actually Jim Harbaugh in disguise?
Nah, he was a creature of his times. A genius in some ways with offense not so much in other things that a head coach must do. He was an assistant coach at Florida with Ray Graves when the Gators beat Tech in 1961 or 1962 with a rotating quarterback combo of Bobby Dodd Jr. and a diminutive ball handling wizard whose name escapes me. (edit possibly Libertore) Anyway, Florida fans point to that game as one the very first big wins that ultimately propelled them to national prominence many years later. Likely as not, Pepper had a hand in creating the game plan for that game.

Last edited:

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Take the ultimate west coast guy and stick him in the deep south and you have Pepper in Georgia.
Yes, except that Pepper originally was an all state quarterback at Brown High School in Atlanta. This was the same school that several years later produced the "young left hander" Kim King. Your point is valid, Pepper was definitely a west coast, laid back kind of guy. He probably was humming "California Dreaming" to himself during practice.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He was rather popular with local media however. Just one of those things. His teams had their moments but poor recruiting and in some cases poor coaching led to a premature dismissal.

Odd that you mention recruiting because on one hand, it seemed that we had as much NFL talent as any coach has ever had at Tech...think Drew and Kent Hill (who both had noteworthy careers in the league), Besselieu, Lucious, Al Richardson, David Sims,Sugar Bear Simmons, Reggie Wilkes, and I am sure there are others who I am forgetting. Going into Athens in '78 (perhaps the most painful GT loss I have ever witnessed) Leonard Postoasties said that Tech would be the most physical team on the field. How often has that been the case?

OTOH, the second string guys were abysmal and should have been playing intramurals. You knew back then if a starter got injured you were in deep trouble. Pepper's top guys were as good as any Tech coach in my life but after the first 15 -20 guys there was a tremendous dropoff.

Odd that you mention recruiting because on one hand, it seemed that we had as much NFL talent as any coach has ever had at Tech...think Drew and Kent Hill (who both had noteworthy careers in the league), Besselieu, Lucious, Al Richardson, David Sims,Sugar Bear Simmons, Reggie Wilkes, and I am sure there are others who I am forgetting. Going into Athens in '78 (perhaps the most painful GT loss I have ever witnessed) Leonard Postoasties said that Tech would be the most physical team on the field. How often has that been the case?

OTOH, the second string guys were abysmal and should have been playing intramurals. You knew back then if a starter got injured you were in deep trouble. Pepper's top guys were as good as any Tech coach in my life but after the first 15 -20 guys there was a tremendous dropoff.
Boy, does that list of names bring back happy memories. Unfortunately, as you said, there was a considerable drop-off between the 1st and 2nd strings. I was there for that '78 game in Athens. That one game put my ETERNAL HATRED for the mutts in me, when the mutt defenders on the field were jumping up and down and pointing to the down and injured Eddie Lee. TOTAL lack of class on their part, and I still cringe from the memories of it. THWG !!!

Gtyellowjackets

Jolly Good Fellow
I think there were bunches of stories of him bringing women (not his wife) on recruiting trips. And some off color stuff in the locker room. Anyway, I think he cleaned up his act after GT and toned everything down. Just my perception

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Take the ultimate west coast guy and stick him in the deep south and you have Pepper in Georgia.

This is probably the best answer someone could provide; as mentioned earlier, Pepper came to GA Tech with his perm and "hip" attitude, and then he installed the Wishbone Offense which was disliked by many of our alum.

I'll give you one personal example of a Pepper Rodgers experience that may give you some "insight". We were on an away game to Notre Dame, and we got back to the Team Hotel after walk throughs at their Stadium on Friday afternoon, but Pepper was invited to Dan Devine's home (Notre Dame's Head Football Coach) for a Party.

Around One AM, Pepper came stumbling back to the hotel, drunk off his ***, laughing, with a bed sheet wadded up under his arm. It turned out that bed sheet had a photo of Dan and his wife printed on it, along with some message, and Pepper absconded with it before he left for the night because he thought it would be funny. Needless to say, Dan Devine didn't find the situation so funny when the sheet was returned before the game.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I think there were bunches of stories of him bringing women (not his wife) on recruiting trips. And some off color stuff in the locker room. Anyway, I think he cleaned up his act after GT and toned everything down. Just my perception

I NEVER saw Pepper with another woman on a road trip, but I never went on a recruiting trip with him so I can't speak from personal knowledge other than saying from my personal observations between Pepper and Janet, I highly doubt he was fooling around.