I know I'm one that gets mad and wants to change but sometimes well;

would you replace a Head coach that was
2-9 his first year
than 3-8
than 6-4-1
than 6-5
than 5-6
than 2-8-1

Or maybe a coach who was 2-9 his first year then 3 -8 the next and started the 3rd season 0-3

Frank Beamer and Booby Ross are waiting to find out what you would do.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Well Bill Curry was fired from Alabama at 10-1 and Bobby Bowden was run off from West Virginia. Wasn’t Bill Lewis 5-6, but great recruiter?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Two examples from 30 years ago. Things have changed, especially with recruiting. The culture of college football is so different now. I’m not saying they wouldn’t have been successful nowadays if they had similar starts to their careers, but I also don’t know.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Two examples from 30 years ago. Things have changed, especially with recruiting. The culture of college football is so different now. I’m not saying they wouldn’t have been successful nowadays if they had similar starts to their careers, but I also don’t know.
I think the thing that changed the most is the internet

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I thought curry resigned at Alabama and I don't think Bowden was fun off from West Vs either.
Curry decided it was time to go after someone chunked a brick through his window. His wife said she was tired of it and wanted out. Much like Butch Jones’ wife who was spat on at the grocery store.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I know I'm one that gets mad and wants to change but sometimes well;

would you replace a Head coach that was
2-9 his first year
than 3-8
than 6-4-1
than 6-5
than 5-6
than 2-8-1

Or maybe a coach who was 2-9 his first year then 3 -8 the next and started the 3rd season 0-3

Frank Beamer and Booby Ross are waiting to find out what you would do.
Good reminder. But the days of 25 year runs are over. Finebaum discusses this and said that even for a successful coach, ten years is the max today. That’s why if you want to get a new coach, find all the ones who are 8-9 years in a program. They are probably ready to change.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
The first one is a hell yes and the second is a maybe but the seat is getting hot. One thing for sure is wouldn't look back 30+ years ago to two specific examples (most likely outliers in their own right) to determine what I'd do in 2021+.

slugboy

Staff member
Well Bill Curry was fired from Alabama at 10-1 and Bobby Bowden was run off from West Virginia. Wasn’t Bill Lewis 5-6, but great recruiter?
Lewis had won coach of the year the previous season at East Carolina. In retrospect, it looks like his ECU OC, Steve Logan, was the better coach. Logan did not come to Tech, took over as ECU’s head coach, and ended up ECU’s winningest coach. He’s known for creating some really interesting offenses.

I’ve never heard that Lewis was a great recruiter.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Well, the AD who kept Beamer around also went to another school and signed the basketball coach to a lifetime contract that the program is still trying to recover from. Some questionable decisions work out. Most probably don't.