Question - 2020 Schedule

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There's a good chance we open vs. Clemson at BDS next year, based on ACC OOC schedules and open dates in week 1. We have to open with a conference game, given our OOC starts week 2.

Our two options for week 1, IIRC after perusing a couple months ago, are 1) home vs. Clemson, or 2) away @ Syracuse.
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2020/team/clemson
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2020/team/syracuse
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2020/team/georgia-tech

Syracuse has stated publicly that it'd be wise to avoid scheduling games at the Carrier Dome the first couple weeks of next season, due to fairly sizable offseason renovations to the facility. They want, and potentially need, a buffer.

It wouldn't be the worst for us to open vs. Clemson again next year, this time for schedule balance. We play ND and Georgia in November as it is, and it would be a difficult stretch if we're rolling the dice and Clemson slides in nearby too.

One interesting thing about our schedule - ND hosts Clemson in South Bend the weekend before ND comes down to play us @ MBS.

falconholic26

Banned
Just look up our schedule opponents and every team has a game already pre scheduled on the first week of season September 3 through the 7th except Syracuse and Clemson. I don’t see us starting with them again next year so We either have an open date or we play Syracuse.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I went thru this exercise again during the holidays. There are 5 ACC teams with open dates on Labor Day weekend. 4 from the Atlantic, and us. While our schedule dictates that we should open with @ Syracuse or vs. Clemson, something has to give as I don't see any way a team will be forced to open with a bye in week 1 (all ACC scheduling cynicism aside).

After considering the ACC-wide scenarios, my guess is the most likely scenario is the ACC works with one of the 5 schools to reschedule their FCS opponent to the opening weekend, enabling the other 4 teams to square off. We could be that 5th team, who knows.

See prior post for my logic of Clemson or Syracuse in week 1.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I went thru this exercise again during the holidays. There are 5 ACC teams with open dates on Labor Day weekend. 4 from the Atlantic, and us. While our schedule dictates that we should open with @ Syracuse or vs. Clemson, something has to give as I don't see any way a team will be forced to open with a bye in week 1 (all ACC scheduling cynicism aside).

After considering the ACC-wide scenarios, my guess is the most likely scenario is the ACC works with one of the 5 schools to reschedule their FCS opponent to the opening weekend, enabling the other 4 teams to square off. We could be that 5th team, who knows.

See prior post for my logic of Clemson or Syracuse in week 1.
If we have our bye week in week 1 we should all riot

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow

Everyone here seems pretty confused.

2020: Notre Dame (November 14)
2021: ACC game
2022: Clemson (CFA kickoff game)
2023: ACC game
2024: Notre Dame

21 and 23 don’t have to be season opening games. They’re just gonna move one of our conf home games to MBS

falconholic26

Banned
I say Virginia Tech in 2021 and Louisville in 2023 that we play in MBS just Bc their fans base will buy more tickets for them more than the other homes opponents that we have on the schedule those years