Quarterback for next year

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Jeff Sims, QB, Georgia Tech

Sims and running back Jahmyr Gibbs are two impact pickups for coach Geoff Collins’ 2020 class. Sims arrives in Atlanta after accounting for over 6,000 total yards in his high school career. Georgia Tech is still a program in transition, but Collins has the roster trending in the right direction. Considering the four quarterbacks who saw time in 2019 combined for just 14 touchdowns and 10 picks, the door is open for Sims to push for snaps.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think we see Sims late in the Clemson game if we are behind more than 3 TD's . Might be Gleason but more likely Sims . Both will go through spring and then fall practice so Yates may be odd man out. Spring game should tell a lot but LJ looked really good in spring game before he was injured. I think Yates doesn't have the height this staff wants at QB.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Who of the young QBs gets the head work the fastest, I'm guessing it's Gleason, I would not count this guy out at all. I think JG is not a factor by year end at QB, hope he will stay and play another position where the majority wanted him out of HS.

GTFLETCH

Banned
No offense guys, but this is outdated logic. We're in an era where freshmen QB's are coming in and unseating established multi year starters regularly at major programs. The level of preparation and coaching these guys get from camps at the high school level was unheard of when I was that age, but it's led to guys that are frankly worlds better QB's than ever before. There's positions where you still need time to develop physically in order to compete at this level, but the level of coaching available to HS athletes now means that someone with the right physical tools can be mentally prepared to be a day 1 starter at QB, especially when competing against a guy with a horrendous completion percentage. We may not see it in the Clemson game, but my money is on Sims taking over at some point.
Spot On... Look at Bo Nix Auburn, Trevor Lawerance, Jake Fromm, on and on... Gleason or Sims will be the starter from day 1

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Spot On... Look at Bo Nix Auburn, Trevor Lawerance, Jake Fromm, on and on... Gleason or Sims will be the starter from day 1
I don't know about day 1, in part because of who our day 1 opponent is, but I agree that Gleason or Sims are likely to take the reigns at some point this season. I would not be saying this if they weren't able to enroll early. In addition, this is in no way meant disparage James Graham who has obviously put in great effort, made some really impressive plays last year, and I'm sure will also improve this year. I just think the two freshman have better tools, including their height, that will allow them to play at a higher level once they've had time to learn the offence.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
No offense guys, but this is outdated logic. We're in an era where freshmen QB's are coming in and unseating established multi year starters regularly at major programs. The level of preparation and coaching these guys get from camps at the high school level was unheard of when I was that age, but it's led to guys that are frankly worlds better QB's than ever before. There's positions where you still need time to develop physically in order to compete at this level, but the level of coaching available to HS athletes now means that someone with the right physical tools can be mentally prepared to be a day 1 starter at QB, especially when competing against a guy with a horrendous completion percentage. We may not see it in the Clemson game, but my money is on Sims taking over at some point.

That happens what, 1% of the time? There are a few Trevor Lawrences, but not many. Lawrence's father hired a QB trainer when Trevor was in the 8th grade. That's how he can come in and start as a Freshman. You and other folks underestimate the complexity of modern college football. That's outdated logic.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
That happens what, 1% of the time? There are a few Trevor Lawrences, but not many. Lawrence's father hired a QB trainer when Trevor was in the 8th grade. That's how he can come in and start as a Freshman. You and other folks underestimate the complexity of modern college football. That's outdated logic.
To be fair, James Graham was able to turn heads last year with some throws. But CONSISTENTLY struggled with medium to short passes. Most QB’s should be able to hit those in their sleep. Graham could make huge strides in the offseason but I don’t see it happening. Too much talent coming in. He could be utilized elsewhere

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

It is a whole lot more than 1 percent and hiring a private QB trainer is far from rare these days. It is actually becoming more the norm for any kid with some natural ability. Doesn't guarantee anything regarding Sims, of course.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
It is a whole lot more than 1 percent and hiring a private QB trainer is far from rare these days. It is actually becoming more the norm for any kid with some natural ability. Doesn't guarantee anything regarding Sims, of course.
The QB position is like baseball. All of these rich kids parents hire personal trainers. The people relying on HS coaching and natural talents are at a disadvantage

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
The QB position is like baseball. All of these rich kids parents hire personal trainers. The people relying on HS coaching and natural talents are at a disadvantage

This is true for the most part. People will make exceptions to help special talent for multiple reasons. 1. Somebody did it for them and they want to pay it forward. 2. They have a good heart and want to help a kid maximize their potential. 3. They want to build their resume and being involved with a kid at an important part of their development is a great selling tool for future business.

I’m sure there are more, but those are the most likely. For any if these to happen though, there needs to be a relationship and a special talent. The person helping them must also have a viable business or not “need” the money to be able to pour into these kids.

I do agree that if a kid is relying on HS coaching they are way behind the rest of the competition.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A lot of the private coaches work with up and coming elite talent for free. They want their names associated with the Elite guys. It helps them with the kids who actually pay.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
For those that see Jeff Sims and Tucker Gleason taking the job from James Graham by the time the season starts are bit by the same excitement we all share to a certain degree. The off season provides hope, and most people (unless a kid sets the college football world on fire) want to see what the new faces of their program look like. Let's not forget that James Graham was a freshman last season, and after seeing what Tobias Oliver and Lucas Johnson had to offer at the position we were calling for JG4.

While freshman getting a lot of playing time is more common than it use to be its still not nearly the norm. Jake Fromm didn't unseat anybody, Trevor Lawrence wasn't the day 1 starter, and Bo Nix was hot and cold as you'd expect from a freshman. So while I'm just as excited about our influx of potential at the QB position I still wouldn't feel comfortable just assuming they're going to be better than a guy who has started and won actual college games.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
For those that see Jeff Sims and Tucker Gleason taking the job from James Graham by the time the season starts are bit by the same excitement we all share to a certain degree. The off season provides hope, and most people (unless a kid sets the college football world on fire) want to see what the new faces of their program look like. Let's not forget that James Graham was a freshman last season, and after seeing what Tobias Oliver and Lucas Johnson had to offer at the position we were calling for JG4.

While freshman getting a lot of playing time is more common than it use to be its still not nearly the norm. Jake Fromm didn't unseat anybody, Trevor Lawrence wasn't the day 1 starter, and Bo Nix was hot and cold as you'd expect from a freshman. So while I'm just as excited about our influx of potential at the QB position I still wouldn't feel comfortable just assuming they're going to be better than a guy who has started and won actual college games.
True but if graham can’t at least improve his short to mid passing game, he will be pushed out of his spot

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
From that list only Nix was a day 1 starter and he did not beat out a returning starter. It is very rare for a true freshman qb to beat out a returning starter for game 1. It usually happens sometime during the season but not game 1. I think the only way Graham does not start is if another qb runs away with it during spring and fall practices. If it's close Graham probably gets the start game 1.

GTFLETCH

Banned
From that list only Nix was a day 1 starter and he did not beat out a returning starter. It is very rare for a true freshman qb to beat out a returning starter for game 1. It usually happens sometime during the season but not game 1. I think the only way Graham does not start is if another qb runs away with it during spring and fall practices. If it's close Graham probably gets the start game 1.
I guess we will see.... One thing is for sure James Graham is not the future...I saw nothing from last year that would show he is our Future for the next three Years

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree, in principle. However, both of our freshmen QB's are EE's, so they both have the benefit of 8 months of training and an entire spring practice before the season starts. In general, a freshman QB coming in for fall camp doesn't stand a chance because there's just not enough time. All this said, I think, unless Sims or Gleason or Yates really out-play Graham this spring and during fall camp, JG will start the season against Clemson.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I think any QB that starts next year will see some + benefit of a deeper & more experienced offensive line. I don't think the o-line is all of a sudden an elite group but theres potential there for a solid overall group. Graham had shown plenty of ability last year but due to his own shaky passing in the intermediate & short passing & a few untimely turnovers. Which the porous o-line play just made worse along the way I still all for a open competition and if everyone gets some PT with that a better oline play in spring/fall may best man win with the potential for a 3 headed monster running attack we need someone who can protect the ball and make good passes when called too.