Quarterback for next year

Buzzmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we still need a QB that's mobile and accurate. One that can take a 3 step drop and decide quickly what to do. Gleason needs to redshirt. Yates, Sims and Graham should be the 3 completing for playing time. Gleason should be the future style QB moving forward. The offensive line needs at least a full year to develop in order to protect a pro-style QB.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think we still need a QB that's mobile and accurate. One that can take a 3 step drop and decide quickly what to do. Gleason needs to redshirt. Yates, Sims and Graham should be the 3 completing for playing time. Gleason should be the future style QB moving forward. The offensive line needs at least a full year to develop in order to protect a pro-style QB.

I get Gleason is our only QB rated as pro style, but I am not sure that distinction means much anymore.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I guess the difference I see is 3 step and pass or run or 5 steps and pass and not much running except to steel a little more time for receivers to get open against defenses like Clemson.

Well, Gleason ran a ton last year, but a lot of it was probably out of necessity. But even the year before, he was a 1000 yard runner. I look at how many designed runs Trevor Lawrence had vs OSU. These days, everyone does both, it seems.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Gleason is a legit threat on the ground. maybe not as explosive as Sims or Graham, but if defenses don't respect his legs, he can RIP off good 10-30 yard chunks. Gleason is pretty athletic, and he's not scared to put his head down for extra yards.

GT has always done well when we have dual threat QBs.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Gleason is a legit threat on the ground. maybe not as explosive as Sims or Graham, but if defenses don't respect his legs, he can RIP off good 10-30 yard chunks. Gleason is pretty athletic, and he's not scared to put his head down for extra yards.

GT has always done well when we have dual threat QBs.

Gleason is a load when he gets downhill, and shows a knack for finding seams on QB sneaks and interior runs per his senior film. Can see him converting lots of'and shorts' and goal line punch ins.

Not as explosive as the others but good enough to make you pay if you forget about him. Kind of an annoying chains mover type running QB.

As for who starts, hell if I know. Whoever wins the job, and I expect it may take a few games before someone asserts themselves b/c everyone is so young.

acedarney

Georgia Tech Fan
We have three 4-star QBs on our roster, and all are sophomores and below (R-So, R-Fr, and Fr). It's a bit of a logjam right now, but I imagine a steady stream of good QBs (one per year) coming through each year. That's a good thing to have, and I see no reason to discount any of them yet. They'll be here for a while to prove their worth.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Gleason is a load when he gets downhill, and shows a knack for finding seams on QB sneaks and interior runs per his senior film. Can see him converting lots of'and shorts' and goal line punch ins.

Not as explosive as the others but good enough to make you pay if you forget about him. Kind of an annoying chains mover type running QB.

As for who starts, hell if I know. Whoever wins the job, and I expect it may take a few games before someone asserts themselves b/c everyone is so young.
I agree.Gleason is a load on short converts I believe.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I get Gleason is our only QB rated as pro style, but I am not sure that distinction means much anymore.
You may be right. The spread has changed things, and the option has gone NFL. It was little noted that in Clemson's 4-play, 96-yard winning TD drive against OSU, Lawrence completed three passes and ran once for a first down. And of course Kansas City, Baltimore, Houston among others have very mobile QBs who are as apt to run as not. Where have you gone, Johnny U?

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck

you must have never watched film on Gleason. Also you must not know much about GT recruiting or the transfer portal.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
You may be right. The spread has changed things, and the option has gone NFL. It was little noted that in Clemson's 4-play, 96-yard winning TD drive against OSU, Lawrence completed three passes and ran once for a first down. And of course Kansas City, Baltimore, Houston among others have very mobile QBs who are as apt to run as not. Where have you gone, Johnny U?

I wouldn't be surprised to see more teams start seeing QBs like running backs. The franchise model seems to be a very very rare win now so I expect we may start seeing the nfl diversify among the non traditional powers that don't have an aaron rodgers type.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Graham starts first game but I can see one of the freshmen ending the season as the starter. It will be interesting to see if we try the QB experiments again this year. Sims looked impressive in the all star game. Haven't seen Gleason against top competition like that. I still think next year is a building year for 2021 so will not be surprised to see several QB's get chances.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The way Collins talks they built all three pyramids in less time it will take him at Tech.

He talked about a transition, but mostly in terms of a singular year. After the season, he basically said we don't expect to miss any more bowl games. Don't confuse what CGC says with what posters on here, including me, say.