Quarterback for next year

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Dabo Swinney, Kelly Bryant and Trevor Lawrence say hi.
Trevor Lawrence was the inevitable starter for Clemson the day he arrived on campus. Many thought it would be his job immediately. For some reason they eased him in. Fields never had any chance of overtaking Fromm. Should Clemson rotate Trevor Lawrence and DJ Uiagalelei drive by drive for several games next year to make sure they have the right guy?

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Graham , if he remains academically eligible , will either win , or lose, the starting job in the spring. If he is inconsistent in the spring, the train may just leave without him. Mental toughness and leadership are going to be priorities next year, and JG needs to show some, IMO.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Just my 2 cents worth.
1. Would not be surprised to see both LJ and Oliver transfer out
2.The little I understand the offense we're trying to run going fwd, it takes a QB with a really good mind as there is always something that works in every situation a defense presents and the QB has to be able to determine what that is and make it work.
3. Having said 2 above, from what Gleason's HS coach has said about only having to show/teach him something once and he gets it from that day on, I believe he will initially be the new guy that QBs the team. Does that mean he will start first game, I don't know but I'm guessing he will be playing quickly if not from the very beginning.
4. I don't believe JG is the guy for what we're trying to do long term
Sims I believe will take a little longer to develop our game mentally, I'm not positive of this just speculating and hoping he gets it quickly.
Yates I just don't have a read on as to how fast he gets it.
As they say, " that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee"
One other thing, in the case of Gleason and Sims, they bring different gifts to the table and I would not be opposed to playing both. I remember Nick Saban doing this at LSU very effectively, beat our *** with it in the Peach Bowl early 2000s if i remember correctly. He did it a little bit before Hurts transferred to Oklahoma.
Exciting and interesting years ahead.
P.S.-I believe CGC and company will top this current recruiting class with next years class, IMO of course.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
Can you name some other successful programs who are rotating a stable of QBs instead of just picking the best one?
I can name teams that give two quarterbacks meaningful snaps. Yes. I can name teams that switched up quarterbacks during the season. Yes.

However I cant name anyone that uses an ATL system instead of a first/second string system. Thats not the only thing in the process that is unique. I dont ***** that nobody else is doing it. I simply choose to trust the process.

Why?

Because not trusting the process and whining about it every time some aspect of the process doesnt align perfectly with what you think should happen is annoying as **** and generally counterproductive. Why dont you get a head coaching job so you can demonstrate to us in the real world how much smarter you are than our staff. Mmmmkay?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So just so I have this right, you think coming off a national championship game appearance and a season where their QB played great, instead of continuing to play him they should have rotated him with a true freshman, sometimes on a drive by drive basis for several games and then decided who they like more?

I hear you and know what you are saying but your scenario is not at all what I said. But, even coming off a Natty appearance you gotta give the #1 QB coming out of high school a little love. Kirby had plenty of chances to showcase Fields. Fromm was the starter and that wasn’t going to change so it’s not the same situation we have. Remember, Fields left not because he didn’t get snaps because he did get snaps. He left because when he was given those snaps they were complete and utter garbage snaps via play calls. Imagine how frustrated Fields must have been to be put into the game and be given QB draws to run.

We do not have an established QB like Fromm. Hence, we gotta rotate to find the guy. Otherwise, Collins risks losing studs. Everyone knows Kirby screwed up by not letting Fields use his skills even as the backup. Fields will win a Heisman one of the next two seasons and Kirby will have won squat.

Here’s a secret - GT isn’t winning the Natty next year so I want our coach to do whatever it takes to prepare for 2021 and find the best players at each position. If it takes fall practice or 12 games just find the guys for 2021. I like Graham but he won the job by default because Johnson couldn’t stay healthy and Oliver couldn’t complete a screen pass. Heck, other than bombs Graham couldn’t complete a screen pass half the time. I think it’s going to be real obvious really fast that the two new guys were better coached and better prepared in high school.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I predict Graham will change positions; Gleason or Sims RS; Yates starts first game with Gleason or Sims as backup. Yates will start first game. I do not venture to guess if Gleason or Sims, as a true freshman, can beat Yates out as the season progresses.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Just because people have gone there......Fromm was and is clearly better than Fields. Fromm was a 5 star that replaced a 5 star. Why the better numbers for Fields......hint, they only played 2 teams with a real defense, Penn St and Wisconsin. Michigan I am not certain what their issue was. UGA blew out all the teams with lesser defenses. Ky, South Carolina, Florida, Notre Dame, Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M have much better Defenses than 80% of Ohio States Schedule. But we are about to find out about Fields and Ohio State as I believe they face the best defense in the nation coming up.....wow can't believe I just defended UGA.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It's funny how heated this discussion gets when 2 of the leading candidates aren't even on campus. A competition is as on-brand as it gets for us, so I have no doubt they are going to avoid naming a starter even if they have it pretty well figured out in their minds already. What's great is that we don't let our backups sit on their butts during practice here, and we take care to develop everyone. Personally I think a team is better off with an established leader rather than an open QB competition, but of course not writing off the possibility of someone stealing the job from them. I would be comfortable with Graham being that guy and personally suspect that's what's likely for the upcoming year. I don't think we'll frame it that way if so, at least externally.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It's funny how heated this discussion gets when 2 of the leading candidates aren't even on campus. A competition is as on-brand as it gets for us, so I have no doubt they are going to avoid naming a starter even if they have it pretty well figured out in their minds already. What's great is that we don't let our backups sit on their butts during practice here, and we take care to develop everyone. Personally I think a team is better off with an established leader rather than an open QB competition, but of course not writing off the possibility of someone stealing the job from them. I would be comfortable with Graham being that guy and personally suspect that's what's likely for the upcoming year. I don't think we'll frame it that way if so, at least externally.

Nothing wrong and everything right with competition, but ideally we should have a set starter by 2 or 3 weeks before kickoff. Then it's his job to lose.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just because people have gone there......Fromm was and is clearly better than Fields. Fromm was a 5 star that replaced a 5 star. Why the better numbers for Fields......hint, they only played 2 teams with a real defense, Penn St and Wisconsin. Michigan I am not certain what their issue was. UGA blew out all the teams with lesser defenses. Ky, South Carolina, Florida, Notre Dame, Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M have much better Defenses than 80% of Ohio States Schedule. But we are about to find out about Fields and Ohio State as I believe they face the best defense in the nation coming up.....wow can't believe I just defended UGA.

Fromm is a pedestrian QB who 'checks all the boxes' for the unimaginative OC or HC.

It's why I hate the NFL. No imagination. And anyone who dares to think outside the typical box is met with swift and decisive criticism from all angles.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I would personally like to see Graham step-up, but I think the problem with both Graham and Yates will be that even though they might have the physical tools to play QB, they have come from TO offenses in HS and they will have trouble picking up the mental part of a pro-style offense. So, I guess I'm hoping Sims is a gift from god and pulls a Trevor Lawrence on us !!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I would personally like to see Graham step-up, but I think the problem with both Graham and Yates will be that even though they might have the physical tools to play QB, they have come from TO offenses in HS and they will have trouble picking up the mental part of a pro-style offense. So, I guess I'm hoping Sims is a gift from god and pulls a Trevor Lawrence on us !!
Go back and watch both of their HS film. Both Graham and Yates ran an offense similar to what we're running now, not what they were recruited to run. Both were in the shotgun, not under center.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Go back and watch both of their HS film. Both Graham and Yates ran an offense similar to what we're running now, not what they were recruited to run. Both were in the shotgun, not under center.

Thanks, didn't know that, thought they were both TO QB's ... gives me a little more hope for Graham.
I like this kid, I think he has a good attitude and could grow to be an effective leader.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Graham - most experienced
Sims - probably most athletic since the Orange Bowl
Gleason - probably best passer since Godsey
Yates - not enough to go on
I think that’s your depth chart.

Milwaukee

Banned
Yates- a cold blooded winner (at least in high school)

I’m excited about Yates as well. He’ll get a shot at earning more this time around.

Gleason jumps off the page to me. We got a steal with this kid. Big body, big arm.

Simms I honestly don’t know enough about yet, that’s on me for not studying enough.

Graham was better than Tobias and Lucas, that’s all I can arrive at currently. What I love about Graham is he’s a pocket passer in a scrambler’s body. He sits in the pocket really well for his age and tries to breakdown the coverage. Does he make rookie mistakes? Absolutely. But then he’s such an explosive athlete that when he tucks it you’re kind of in big trouble as a defense cause this kid can absolutely kill you with his legs. It’s the best trait a qb can have imo: Explosive athlete with a pocket mentality.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m just excited to have 4 QBs competing. Neither one of our top 2 returning QBs were even at spring practice last year, and now we will have 4. I wouldn’t under estimate Gleason just because he was one less star than Sims. He seemed to be running for his life most of his senior year. We are in a good position to have a solid quarterback. It may not happen at the start of next year but the future is definitely more promising.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m still not ready to give up on LJ. He’s shown a lot of potential in spots. People forget how smoothly he moved the team down the field before that unfortunate goal line fumble. He looked like a real QB out there.

I’m excited about Sims, but think we have older dual threat guys with similar skill sets. I’d guess a redshirt for him is likely. He might be a notch above, but his athleticism and questionable passing skills remind me of CPJ QB recruits.

Gleason might get a chance because he brings a different skill set. The newly recruited QBs are always the most popular players among fans. If CPJ were still here, neither freshman would see the field until at least 2021. With the current staff, I think the freshman will both have a chance, especially since they want to show off their recruiting prowess.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer

This is just flat out wrong. Fromm was not even a 5 star. He has regressed a lot since his freshman year.

Fields is an elite talent that didn’t fit UGA’s system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bos

Helluva Engineer
Graham - most experienced
Sims - probably most athletic since the Orange Bowl
Gleason - probably best passer since Godsey
Yates - not enough to go on
I think that’s your depth chart.

Got to love the competition we'll see in spring. However, starter may not truly show himself until mid-season (just like this year). Regardless of who prevails, there will be growing pains in 2020. 1 Sophomore, and 3 Freshmen. Ouch

My take, the way their games are I believe Sims is a bigger Graham and Gleason is a bigger Yates. Their are a bit different for each other, hope Pnut can figure out their strengths and tailor the playbook to each guy.