QB Situation

Week 3: Who will lead the first offensive series for GT?

• Lucas Johnson

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • James Graham

Votes: 67 55.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
for 11 years all they did was stare at a primary receiver, never had to presnap read defenses the way we do now, our prior presnap reads focused on the option calls primarily, or the route combos we do now. Its like, one spring practice, one fall, and some of us expect peyton manning. I expect the QB to stare down all year. All they did in the old offense was throw 9 routes and comebacks. There was no crossing routes, pick plays, minimal to no screen game, no RPO; we did have smash concepts only for the deep ball or comeback. Thats about it.

We essentially have 3 true freshman QBs. How many true freshman qb's stare down their target? Like, all of them.

Its going to take time. It won't be fixed this year....Its on reason I think you just let graham roll with it all year; and use TO in packages

I agree with this, and I loved the old system.

It will take time. My issue with the QB situation is more about the constant and random rotation. If JG is anywhere close to LJ in diagnosing the D, then I think you go with him. What's there to lose? He throws an INT? At least he might also throw a TD... Our passing game right now looks like Matt Ryan (drop back, check down, drop back, check down, drop back, throw uncatchable ball into coverage).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Its almost completely about giving each player a legitimate shot TO DEMONSTRATE RECRUITS THEY WILL GET LEGIT CHANCE W CGC.

Starting and giving max time to run based qb was a good thing against clemson- chech the box TO can run.

Starting and giving lucas a real shot at usf but keeping plays conservative has shown him to be at least competent.

Now we will start Graham against a weak fcs team who probably will bring heat. We will see him at his best. The defense should dominate - these guys and elon are equal.

The key will be Temple (who has a qb that has passed for big yards) where we will need to score at least 24. Qb need to have confidense in receivers getting separation from db . If they get separation and qb stops and pops , the switch is on.

Likely G will start at Temple and L will get time.

AND AS PER THE PURPOSE OF THIS QB SITUATION : Recruits will get the pitch - how gt was more than fair about qb decision. Add to this w are playing a lot of true freshmen. Win 6 games and bowl we are doing good.

If we are going to be very good in future , its all about recruiting 20 , 21, 22.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
So here is a question for folks....especially for former players and or Coaches.... Is it to late for GT to go with a run heavy offense this year say like Wyoming or has the offense scheme installed thus far not compatible with going Run Heavy???

For Example the scheme called Zone Wham. (Like Zone Read) The play features a split flow action in the backfield with the H back moving against the grain of the play to kick out the EMOL.

Why the Zone Wham ?? It blocks the EMOL, so there is no need for a QB read. That keeps the read viable and accounts for the backside linebacker in a gap-exchange. It was something like a signature play for the 49ers during the Colin Kaepernick era. (SO it can be a Developmental Offense)

The Zone Wham can be executed out of an unbalanced formations— the tight end is covered by a wide receiver— with a Jet Sweep fake as window dressing and onand on...

We have run this play, that I've always called split zone, a few different ways. We've run it as a normal zone play and as a zone read play. We've also ran inverted veer a few times, with both a RB as the hand off as well as we motioned Brown in to the backfield and ran it.

If the QBs don’t stop staring down the primary receiver we aren’t going anywhere. On the long pass late in the game, Johnson didn’t even look anywhere else. The corner who broke up the pass left his man on the outside to play the focus inside receiver. The target receiver had beaten his man deep off the line of scrimmage. The wide open people were sometimes wide open because of this - and there are two or three defenders when the ball arrives. You usually won’t see this on TV - only when you are at the game and can see the whole 22.
Not only was there another wide open receiver, there was nothing but empty space for him to run for at least 15 yards. But he zeroes in on the primary receiver and ignores all the other options.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
If the QBs don’t stop staring down the primary receiver we aren’t going anywhere. On the long pass late in the game, Johnson didn’t even look anywhere else. The corner who broke up the pass left his man on the outside to play the focus inside receiver. The target receiver had beaten his man deep off the line of scrimmage. The wide open people were sometimes wide open because of this - and there are two or three defenders when the ball arrives. You usually won’t see this on TV - only when you are at the game and can see the whole 22.

I saw this too the corner on the outside go coverage jumped to the inside it's hard to know when he cut inside was it at release or before for sure but that's the argument to a good QB fake either by pump fake or eyeballing a WR then going to another spot. This was not that he never saw the other WR just 8 yards to the left and 10 more yards upfield running alone

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
People keep saying this, but I'm seriously wondering if this is "fake news." I'm not buying it. Show me how, demonstratively, it prohibits the offense from having a leader and developing chemistry and rhythm. I don't think it necessarily does. If there is a QB controversy, then there can be division, but I've heard nothing out the locker room that talks to QB controversy. CGC has been very clear that it is a meritocracy and that the guy who has shown in practice he can do it is going to get his shot. Athletes respect that. Period.
I agree. I have an unpopular opinion about the QB situation: I like it. I actually really enjoyed watching the offense last Saturday, even though we didn't score many points. I liked seeing a lot of different looks and plays and just a dynamic scheme. It was also incredibly obvious that we simply don't have the right personnel on the offensive line to expect a really good spread-style offense this year. It makes me fully understand why we did what we did during the Clemson game. I think given time, we will get better (even throughout this season), but I'm excited to see us follow a similar gameplan against the Citadel. It was a lot of fun to watch for me personally, because I can see the potential that is there when we get better and/or acquire the personnel necessary

GTFLETCH

Banned
View attachment 6638
*TO was inserted to run the ball.
Not to be a jerk.. But it would appear that TO was inserted to move the entire O. As the three plays with LJ at QB before he was inserted was a pass for a 2yd loss...a QB run for 1 yd and a pass for 3 yds..the best play before TO was inserted to move the offense was a penalty that gave the team a first down.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Since I pay money I will talk smack about whoever I want... Get over it!!! Time for folks to get a lil thicker skin.....

Does this mean it’s okay to be critical of CGC and staff now? There has been a very hostile reception of anything approaching such here since his hire. :ROFLMAO:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not to be a jerk.. But it would appear that TO was inserted to move the entire O. As the three plays with LJ at QB before he was inserted was a pass for a 2yd loss...a QB run for 1 yd and a pass for 3 yds..the best play before TO was inserted to move the offense was a penalty that gave the team a first down.

Bad QB plays or bad OC play calls?

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I am not a fan of rotating 3 QBs. Two is more manageable , but I am trusting the coaches at this point. I see the first 4 games of this year as PRESEASON in a way. We were NEVER going to beat Clemson, and the next 3 are getting ready for the meat of the schedule.
Now, if we are still rotating 3 by the time UNC shows up , I will be surprised/concerned. Just my 2 cents...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree with everything you are saying... I just thought I heard the OC DP say he was going to install a scheme that fit his players... So I am wondering why we are not a run heavy team until we can recruit the players that will fit is spread Scheme? I would think that would give us the best chance to win.. The more Wins you get the easier it will be to recuit...But Hey I am just a guy who bought into the Hype and maybe I misunderstood what the OC was going to do...

I sure Hope that Coach Collins does not have to change OC as many times as CPJ had to change DC....

Are we scheming to win games or win recruits? Some don’t think you have to do the former to succeed with the latter.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Not only was there another wide open receiver, there was nothing but empty space for him to run for at least 15 yards. But he zeroes in on the primary receiver and ignores all the other options.

I have to observe in his defense that the ability and the cool to scan the field with quick and accurate assessment is something many QB's develop with experience. The reason TO is playing is because he already has experience and the coaches know his ability. The reason the other two are in there is to gain experience and find out their capabilities in game conditions. Obviously, scanning the field is a lot easier in practice than on game day.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Does this mean it’s okay to be critical of CGC and staff now? There has been a very hostile reception of anything approaching such here since his hire. :ROFLMAO:
I drank the Kool aid...I expected better showing the first two games.. I still expect to see six wins this year ..12 to 14 over the next 2 years.. I am not say 20 like CPJ did... I am also excited about the D and the improvements... I am upset about 3 headed QB... But IIWII..

GTFLETCH

Banned
I have to observe in his defense that the ability and the cool to scan the field with quick and accurate assessment is something many QB's develop with experience. The reason TO is playing is because he already has experience and the coaches know his ability. The reason the other two are in there is to gain experience and find out their capabilities in game conditions. Obviously, scanning the field is a lot easier in practice than on game day.
Agree and hopefully we can settle in on James or TO before the UNC game... I just do not see LJ as a player who is going into his fourth season ATL.... I expect better plays and reads and movement of the offense... James Graham or TO in my book should be named the starter for UNC..

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I am not a fan of rotating 3 QBs. Two is more manageable , but I am trusting the coaches at this point. I see the first 4 games of this year as PRESEASON in a way. We were NEVER going to beat Clemson, and the next 3 are getting ready for the meat of the schedule.
Now, if we are still rotating 3 by the time UNC shows up , I will be surprised/concerned. Just my 2 cents...
If we haven't figured out what we are doing on offense by the time we go up to Temple then we are likely going to lose that game. With a patsy game this weekend followed by a week off we should be able to solidify things before that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Agree and hopefully we can settle in on James or TO before the UNC game... I just do not see LJ as a player who is going into his fourth season ATL.... I expect better plays and reads and movement of the offense... James Graham or TO in my book should be named the starter for UNC..

My point was that LJ with GAME DAY experience might get a whole lot better. I have seen QB's just like that - had trouble scanning the field but live game experience was vital for them to be able to get better at it. Practice isn't enough. This applies to any inexperienced QB. You don't know what he's capable of until he gets on the field in a real game.