QB room

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
i think pyron is more for 2/3 years down the line. i don’t really see him playing this year unless things get absolutely awful with injuries and guys being bad. i think we brought in the transfers more so as an insurance policy cause last year we nosedived when sims was out
The notion that we brought in multiple transfers just as insurance policies for a QB that tanked 12th in the conference and 86th in the country last year in Total QBR is a bit ridiculous.

JacketFan137

Banned
The notion that we brought in multiple transfers just as insurance policies for a QB that tanked 12th in the conference and 86th in the country last year in Total QBR is a bit ridiculous.
considering one of them has 48 career pass attempts with a previous achilles tear and the other has never played someone outside of the mac, the notion they’re gonna beat out a 2 year starter at the beginning of the season is a bit ridiculous

if things go south i could see them switching as collins attempts to save his job but it’s been pretty clear since long was hired the offense will be focused on playing with him as the starter

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree that Sims has to improve. We have much better coaching than we have had in the past 3 years. However, we must have better oline play. We cannot have our qbs constantly under pressure. If that is the case this year, it will not matter who is behind center. Show me a qb that performed at a high level behind a terrible oline.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Sims has to improve. We have much better coaching than we have had in the past 3 years. However, we must have better oline play. We cannot have our qbs constantly under pressure. If that is the case this year, it will not matter who is behind center. Show me a qb that performed at a high level behind a terrible oline.
A great deal depends on the OL, no matter who's behind center. I know I'm Captain Obvious, but few QB's are going to succeed behind a porous offensive line.
I'm more concerned about the line than who's taking the snaps.

mndojckt

Jolly Good Fellow
What? We absolutely did. If we didn’t bring them in we’d have two scholarship qbs, one of which being a true freshman

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What? We absolutely did. If we didn’t bring them in we’d have two scholarship qbs, one of which being a true freshman
We needed at least one more QB from the portal but bringing two in, both of decent quality on paper doesn't really sound like an insurance policy and im pretty sure neither were told, you are only here because we need a warm body to put on the field if our real QB gets hurt. Presumably these guys are competing, and will be ready to go if Sims isn't performing well.

mndojckt

Jolly Good Fellow
We needed at least one more QB from the portal but bringing two in, both of decent quality on paper doesn't really sound like an insurance policy and im pretty sure neither were told, you are only here because we need a warm body to put on the field if our real QB gets hurt. Presumably these guys are competing, and will be ready to go if Sims isn't performing well.
Oh ok, I see what you mean. I disagree about bringing in the two qbs though. If you look at the past, four schools qbs is where we have wanted to be ex. Last year moving D. Knight to qb in the spring and bringing in Trad Beatty.

Also fwiw, on KQs free podcast he said the the pitch to Taisun basically was “ come in for a year, be the backup and learn the offense, and if Jeff has a good year he’ll be gone for the draft. You very well could start in 2023.” Of course that involves trusting Kelly though which lol

JacketFan137

Banned
Oh ok, I see what you mean. I disagree about bringing in the two qbs though. If you look at the past, four schools qbs is where we have wanted to be ex. Last year moving D. Knight to qb in the spring and bringing in Trad Beatty.

Also fwiw, on KQs free podcast he said the the pitch to Taisun basically was “ come in for a year, be the backup and learn the offense, and if Jeff has a good year he’ll be gone for the draft. You very well could start in 2023.” Of course that involves trusting Kelly though which lol
taisun also tore his achilles in april 2021. that’s possibly one of the worst injuries in sports and it will probably take 1 year+ for him to even begin to look like what he once was. i know he dressed out for clemson but i bet he was probably not 100% and still isn’t quite there yet. him being a “redshirt” this year makes a lot of sense

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Happy feet, bad footwork & mechanics, poor reads, general lack of command of the offense, etc. We got killed by penalties inside the redzone last year. If that happens to him, ok it's not on him. Yates was 20/34 for 200 yds last year with a line completely whiffing on blocking assignments. That's a guy many fans on here don't consider to be a P5 QB, who had much fewer practice reps because he was the 2nd or 4rd option at QB. Surely Sims can muster better than 70% completion percentage and another 50-100 yds passing with all his talent plus the advantage of having starter reps with the offense all August, with a competent QB coach and vastly better OC & lineman who've been in the system 3 years plus taking snaps behind very high caliber transfers.
We have to make Sims a QB who makes one or a MAX of two reads on pass plays. I think Patenaude threw way too much at him and he was in his own head so much over the past few years, hence the turnovers. He can run the option and I really want to see us utilize him as a runner who throws simple pass concepts, especially if we will be utilizing multi-TE sets with Chip. The plays I have seen from Tulane were very simple in nature but are effective. Much like the route combos we were calling under Johnson (at least in theory).

JacketFan137

Banned
We have to make Sims a QB who makes one or a MAX of two reads on pass plays. I think Patenaude threw way too much at him and he was in his own head so much over the past few years, hence the turnovers. He can run the option and I really want to see us utilize him as a runner who throws simple pass concepts, especially if we will be utilizing multi-TE sets with Chip. The plays I have seen from Tulane were very simple in nature but are effective. Much like the route combos we were calling under Johnson (at least in theory).
if your passing offense is predicated on getting past the second read then it’s a bad offense. in the nfl qbs hit the first read ~70% of the time. college is probably even more. getting off the first read is not as important as people want it to be. the focus needs to be getting the offense’s first read to actually work

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Did not Long change QBs when he was at ND, seems like I remember something going on about that but my old memory slips on me from time to time?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
taisun also tore his achilles in april 2021. that’s possibly one of the worst injuries in sports and it will probably take 1 year+ for him to even begin to look like what he once was. i know he dressed out for clemson but i bet he was probably not 100% and still isn’t quite there yet. him being a “redshirt” this year makes a lot of sense
The rehab from a torn achilles is definitely a long one. I know the RB from the Rams came back around 6 months after his tear but he was VERY limited in how much he could do and what he could do on the field. That 6 month time frame is WAY too early for most. My daughter tore hers while tumbling (she's a high level competitive cheer athlete) last August and she's finally getting back to tumbling over the last month and has had to start slowly. Granted she can't spend as much time as a scholarship athlete or professional athlete on rehab as she was just going into senior year in high school so her rehab was probably a bit slower than those guys but just take it for what it's worth in terms of expectations for Taisun. I think he's probably at a point where he's able to do most things by now but I'm sure you're 100% correct that he wasn't completely healthy at any time last season.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Did not Long change QBs when he was at ND, seems like I remember something going on about that but my old memory slips on me from time to time?
I think it was mostly Kelly's decision, but yes ND changed from Wimbush to Book in 2018 after Wimbush got off to a slow start.

JacketFan137

Banned
The rehab from a torn achilles is definitely a long one. I know the RB from the Rams came back around 6 months after his tear but he was VERY limited in how much he could do and what he could do on the field. That 6 month time frame is WAY too early for most. My daughter tore hers while tumbling (she's a high level competitive cheer athlete) last August and she's finally getting back to tumbling over the last month and has had to start slowly. Granted she can't spend as much time as a scholarship athlete or professional athlete on rehab as she was just going into senior year in high school so her rehab was probably a bit slower than those guys but just take it for what it's worth in terms of expectations for Taisun. I think he's probably at a point where he's able to do most things by now but I'm sure you're 100% correct that he wasn't completely healthy at any time last season.
sorry to hear about your daughter hope she’s able to recover. it’s definitely a long and arduous process so if she’s almost back she is a trooper

and yeah taisun probably had to spend a year at least to get truly 100% and then it’s a little more time to readjust to playing with the same technique and to mentally overcome the fear/anxiety of if i cut or move a certain way i can tear it again. it’s not easy at all to get back.

in the fantasy sports/gambling space most of the data says to not trust athletes their first healthy year after a major injury (acl tears, meniscus, etc). with high caliber season ending injuries it’s basically a year of rehab + 1 season and then that next year expect them to be fully back. that makes a lot of sense with the rumors and should put him in a real competition next offseason

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

If we have another bad year Sims is likely gone anyway. He can transfer with 2 years left and he would have a new coach either way.