QB room

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
I do think that sims will look really good this season. His issue was P nuts having no expirience with Playing QB and never being a p5 coordinator. Weinkie Will have him looking correct this season.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
ATHLON qb rating just out.

GT ( Sims) is rated 11th qb in ACC.

Duke, vt, Cuse are lower.

Based on qb rating = 3 wins here we come.

Big news is Clemson is 9th.
LETS MAKE THIS TRUE.

JacketFan137

Banned
ATHLON qb rating just out.

GT ( Sims) is rated 11th qb in ACC.

Duke, vt, Cuse are lower.

Based on qb rating = 3 wins here we come.

Big news is Clemson is 9th.
LETS MAKE THIS TRUE.
i think sims only issue is consistency and i think that is largely gonna be on the o line and oc to remedy that. he’s probably got one of the highest ceilings in the conference and has shown he can make plays. end of season i could see that ranking be anywhere from 1-14 lol

i think chip and weinke will get him right though

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I get that it’s the majority opinion to bang on the OLine and Patenaude. But, am I the only one who saw Sims completely miss wide open guys, mainly throwing the ball at the feet of RB’s? None of that is on the OLine or the OC. Sims has been given 2 seasons of free ball with no pressure. You don’t ever see that these days. It’s time for him to either deal or sit. Of all the players to take the field on Labor Day for both teams Sims probably has more experience than any player on either team. It’s time he leads this team and not fade into the background like he did last season.

slugboy

Staff member
Here are the QBR numbers from last year. Sims is 12th out of 15.
There’s a huge amount of upside from getting offensive players on the same page. But the difference between Devin Leary and Jeff Sims stats are huge. Malik Cunningham and Pickett stats, even more so

52608FF8-E564-4D96-BD3F-0DF6773F8958.jpeg

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I get that it’s the majority opinion to bang on the OLine and Patenaude. But, am I the only one who saw Sims completely miss wide open guys, mainly throwing the ball at the feet of RB’s? None of that is on the OLine or the OC. Sims has been given 2 seasons of free ball with no pressure. You don’t ever see that these days. It’s time for him to either deal or sit. Of all the players to take the field on Labor Day for both teams Sims probably has more experience than any player on either team. It’s time he leads this team and not fade into the background like he did last season.
That definitely happened. I think the answer is more of an all of the above. No one player, position group, or coach deserves all of the blame. We are, and have been, young and/or inexperienced across the board. Hopefully we get enough incremental improvement across the board to pay off in the aggregate.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Sims is a helluva athlete and seems to be a really good and smart young man. There’s a reason, based on his play to date, that he is being rated so low in the conference. Hopefully Weinke can help him be better at playing QB at a P5 level, but there is work to do.
Yes, we will have solved the Sims riddle about 3 games into the season. Same old Sims and the problem is Sims. New improved Sims and the problem was not Sims.Biggest jump in performance is usuallly year 1 to year 2, but if the coaching was really that poor maybe for Sims it comes between years 2 & 3.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Been hearing the qb coach and collins mention Sims footwork.

I am worried about his passing accuracy in the new offense. Maybe the quicker reads will make him a more natural and accurate passer .But the throws are going to be I to tight windows and a ball that is deflected will be a possible int.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Been hearing the qb coach and collins mention Sims footwork.

I am worried about his passing accuracy in the new offense. Maybe the quicker reads will make him a more natural and accurate passer .But the throws are going to be I to tight windows and a ball that is deflected will be a possible int.
Footwork can affect QB accuracy some. Look at Mitch Trubisky's film they always say he can't throw across his body but a lot of film points to his footwork as to why. I like what I'm hearing if that's the case

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Yes, we will have solved the Sims riddle about 3 games into the season. Same old Sims and the problem is Sims. New improved Sims and the problem was not Sims.Biggest jump in performance is usuallly year 1 to year 2, but if the coaching was really that poor maybe for Sims it comes between years 2 & 3.
Not sure we will learn much from the first two games. Clemson is too good and WCU is too bad. The Ole Miss game is important for him. They will likely have a fairly average defense. That’s the time he can really show he has taken the needed step forward. If he can’t do it then it may be time to try something different. Not sure what different will be though. I can’t say I’m too excited about those behind him other than Pyron, but it’s hard to imagine throwing a true freshman in there when we brought in two transfers.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Not sure we will learn much from the first two games. Clemson is too good and WCU is too bad. The Ole Miss game is important for him. They will likely have a fairly average defense. That’s the time he can really show he has taken the needed step forward. If he can’t do it then it may be time to try something different. Not sure what different will be though. I can’t say I’m too excited about those behind him other than Pyron, but it’s hard to imagine throwing a true freshman in there when we brought in two transfers.
Happy feet, bad footwork & mechanics, poor reads, general lack of command of the offense, etc. We got killed by penalties inside the redzone last year. If that happens to him, ok it's not on him. Yates was 20/34 for 200 yds last year with a line completely whiffing on blocking assignments. That's a guy many fans on here don't consider to be a P5 QB, who had much fewer practice reps because he was the 2nd or 4rd option at QB. Surely Sims can muster better than 70% completion percentage and another 50-100 yds passing with all his talent plus the advantage of having starter reps with the offense all August, with a competent QB coach and vastly better OC & lineman who've been in the system 3 years plus taking snaps behind very high caliber transfers.

JacketFan137

Banned
i think pyron is more for 2/3 years down the line. i don’t really see him playing this year unless things get absolutely awful with injuries and guys being bad. i think we brought in the transfers more so as an insurance policy cause last year we nosedived when sims was out