QB Play

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan
I was just thinking about how long it has been since I was this truly optimistic about the upcoming season, specifically the anticipated leadership and production from our QB. During the long dry spell against UGA going all the way back through Chan's tenure, the difference between us and them has always been most glaring at that single position. If we were just even with them at QB, the record would be also. That is my considered opinion.

JT has given me every impression that he is going to raise the bar for us under center to levels we haven't seen in over a decade. The last remaining question mark in my mind will be pressure. He didn't face much / any against Wofford. He may not again against Tulane. Who knows? My expectation is that he will shine in that regard, when it finally does happen, by using his eyes and feet, along with a great feel for the pocket.

We are about to experience something different and I, for one, can hardly wait.
I agree. He's tough, too, can take a lick. And, we fans can't blow up and lose the karma when he has the inevitable first-year-starter game(s) this year. He will be better than many.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Here's a stat for the pass lovers: nearly 30% of our offensive snaps were passes. That won't be the norm, obviously, but it shows we now have the ability to make teams pay when they force us to throw. The biggest benefit is that defenses won't stack the box as much and when they do, it will be at their peril. This should really help our run game. That last point is something JT mentioned in his post game presser. I like that, too.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's a stat for the pass lovers: nearly 30% of our offensive snaps were passes. That won't be the norm, obviously, but it shows we now have the ability to make teams pay when they force us to throw. The biggest benefit is that defenses won't stack the box as much and when they do, it will be at their peril. This should really help our run game. That last point is something JT mentioned in his post game presser. I like that, too.
Decent passer + decent receivers = decent passing game.

If we're running the ball well and just decent at passing this O is gonna put up all the points needed to win. Let's see whether the D can help out.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Not gonna lie...I like a good passing game like Texas A&M so I like seeing our QBs wing it.

Let's not get giddy against Wofford. CPJ said we had to throw it more because our running game wasn't effective against Wofford due to their emphasis on stopping our run. I really like that our passing game was effective when we had to throw because that's exactly what we're going to see in the future. The bigger question is will it be as effective once the talent level increases. Our receivers are going to find it tougher to get open, and our OL may have a harder time pass blocking once we get into the meat of our schedule in ACC play.

Those questions will be answered in a few weeks.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Remember how good Joe Hamilton was at his best? Remember how bad that defense was. This year reminds me of that year. Except JT isn't Lil Joe just yet (give him another year or two). But that defense.....<shaking head>
Remind me, who was our DC back then...hope 15 years job experience shows. I'm optimistic.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Nice to read such a positive post. And nice to have a board where people don't come out of the woodwork throwing cold water all over it.

I agree completely on the quarterback issue with Georgia. I think if Chan Gailey had ever had a first rate quarterback he'd probably still be here. And those who are still not sold on Paul Johnson's offense need to be reminded that they haven't seen it executed with a quarterback with all the tools. Let's hope in the games to come it continues to look like we finally have our Tracy Ham.

Big Ralph used to say something close to "I'm not a genius, but Joe Hamilton and George Godsey made me look like one."

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
@Techster I enjoy the forward pass too.
I would like for us to be more multiple with "that cute stuff" and bring more balance to the offense.

Not sure Tulane will provide much of a challenge defensively but I do think GSU will give a good test before Va Tech.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The stat I'd really like to see for CFB is yards after catch (YAC). I can find it for the NFL and possibly on pay to handicap sites.

I think JT's pass attempts / completions will be shorter than TWs at the point of the catch. But if JT hits people in stride like he did on many passes last week, their YAC will be pretty high. Or Smelter who made something out of his TD catch.

Anyone know where I can find free CFB YAC?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The stat I'd really like to see for CFB is yards after catch (YAC). I can find it for the NFL and possibly on pay to handicap sites.

I think JT's pass attempts / completions will be shorter than TWs at the point of the catch. But if JT hits people in stride like he did on many passes last week, their YAC will be pretty high. Or Smelter who made something out of his TD catch.

Anyone know where I can find free CFB YAC?

More than half of JT's passing yards resulted from YACs. Snoddy on the 70+ yard "pass", Smelter's run for a TD through the entire Wofford secondary, a couple of smokes to Smelter and Summers, and Zenon's big catch.

You're right. A QB should make passes to let receivers make plays after the catch. Peyton Manning said the reason why Demaryius Thomas was important to the offense was because of his ability to turn a 5 yard catch into a 20+ yard play. He said that QBs aren't always going to make those 20+ yard passes, and it makes an offense that much more dangerous when players can make plays beyond catches.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
JT reminds me a bit of Tevin from his quietness but JT is faster, and throws better. If Tevin had his speed he would have taken it "to the house" many more times and opened up the offense even more as the defense had to adjust to his speed. The only problem is that he is just a redshirt soph and way behind Tevin in knowing the offense but there are great plays in his future

By the way, Oklahoma is kicking Tulsa's butt so there might be a lot of offensive today!

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
The greatest gt players always do, just hope it's more proud than heartbreak
that's the truth! Remember CJ missing the game-winning catch vs NC State a few years back? Ball hit his hands, popped up, and got caught by an NC State defender. Terrible ending.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
that's the truth! Remember CJ missing the game-winning catch vs NC State a few years back? Ball hit his hands, popped up, and got caught by an NC State defender. Terrible ending.
Where we were 1st and goal on the 3 yard line and a healthy PJ Daniels? I blame CCG for that one. No reason to pass there