QB Play

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was just thinking about how long it has been since I was this truly optimistic about the upcoming season, specifically the anticipated leadership and production from our QB. During the long dry spell against UGA going all the way back through Chan's tenure, the difference between us and them has always been most glaring at that single position. If we were just even with them at QB, the record would be also. That is my considered opinion.

JT has given me every impression that he is going to raise the bar for us under center to levels we haven't seen in over a decade. The last remaining question mark in my mind will be pressure. He didn't face much / any against Wofford. He may not again against Tulane. Who knows? My expectation is that he will shine in that regard, when it finally does happen, by using his eyes and feet, along with a great feel for the pocket.

We are about to experience something different and I, for one, can hardly wait.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Sometime this year Justin will break our hearts.

But he's gonna make us real, real proud.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
When the light comes on for him, the game slows down, and he truly masters the offense he is going to amazing, can't wait!

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
With Justin, I think we finally have a chance to keep defenses honest and respect the pass. That would be huge for our offense.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
I was just thinking about how long it has been since I was this truly optimistic about the upcoming season, specifically the anticipated leadership and production from our QB. During the long dry spell against UGA going all the way back through Chan's tenure, the difference between us and them has always been most glaring at that single position. If we were just even with them at QB, the record would be also. That is my considered opinion.

JT has given me every impression that he is going to raise the bar for us under center to levels we haven't seen in over a decade. The last remaining question mark in my mind will be pressure. He didn't face much / any against Wofford. He may not again against Tulane. Who knows? My expectation is that he will shine in that regard, when it finally does happen, by using his eyes and feet, along with a great feel for the pocket.

We are about to experience something different and I, for one, can hardly wait.
Boomer you are correct if JT stays healthy and keeps his head straight before he leaves he will be one of the greatest players to ever play at GT !!'

Rammy

Georgia Tech Fan
I hate to be the one that ruins the optimistic thread, because I love in my heart what I saw in the second half from JT...but it was Wofford (my
alma mater by the way). He has 2 more weeks against opponents we SHOULD beat, then the real deal. I pray he dominates, but if we lose one of those two games, how will you feel about the rest of the season?

I hate to be the one that ruins the optimistic thread, because I love in my heart what I saw in the second half from JT...but it was Wofford (my
alma mater by the way). He has 2 more weeks against opponents we SHOULD beat, then the real deal. I pray he dominates, but if we lose one of those two games, how will you feel about the rest of the season?
If we lose one of those two games, or both of them, it's doubtful that it will be JT's fault. Sadly, the defense did not look good last week, and unless they show some improvement, any losses will be on their heads.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I believe that with the recruiting goin in the right direction that JT will win us some big games until our freshman and incoming freshmen can contribute. Then who knows what can happen.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for this. Hey, I understand who the competition has been to this point. I know it won't all be peaches and cream and the sledding is going to get a lot tougher, especially with regards to pressure in the backfield. He will have to continue to adjust and he hasn't proven himself fully yet. However, I base my comments on things that tend to translate well against all defenses. He runs the O faster. That will force the D to play faster. That will, in turn create more mistakes and creases. He gets the ball out quickly. That plays really well against teams bent on coming with numbers. He has the arm strength and apparently the touch and accuracy to drop balls into the gaps of a defense, whether deep or underneath. This also plays well against a team stacking the run. He is a plus scrambler (can this even be challenged at this point?). That will help keep plays alive. He appears to see the field really well and doesn't lock in to a single receiver. Possibly the best of all is that he throws well on the run. Given our pass pro issues over the years this is huge. None of the GT QBs (CPJ era) before him can say the same. TW and Vad could throw a little stepping into the motion but weren't good on the run. Neither was Josh.

Just think about how effective our offense has been over the last 6 years WITHOUT these attributes at QB. Josh got it done by sheer will and talent around him. Tevin ran the offense well and developed some as a passer, but the voltage was a lot lower in all physical categories (like speed, arm strength etc). Vad was tentative and slow.

The easiest thing in the world is to wait until AFTER a kid establishes himself and say I told you so. I really enjoy projecting athletes into their futures. I have doing it for years helping players and organizations alike. I don't make these predictions with every player to come down the road. I AM with Justin. I am on record now. JT will raise the bar. Let's see how it plays out.

Bottom line: football is a team game. It just helps the team a lot when the QB has these attributes.

Unresolved questions: Ball Security, has it really improved?. Pressure, will he be able to handle it and still be steady handed?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Think about the teams we will play this year and ask yourself if you would rather swap QBs with them. I would rather have Justin than all of them.

Clemson has been burning the rankings up in recruiting, but last week when UGAg blitzed the A gap their QBs froze. The most impressive thing to me about Justin is that he is decisive, he makes a read/decision and right or wrong he goes with it.

He will make some mistakes, but I see why he is the starter.... IMO he would have been the starter if Vad had stayed.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Think about the teams we will play this year and ask yourself if you would rather swap QBs with them. I would rather have Justin than all of them.

Clemson has been burning the rankings up in recruiting, but last week when UGAg blitzed the A gap their QBs froze. The most impressive thing to me about Justin is that he is decisive, he makes a read/decision and right or wrong he goes with it.

He will make some mistakes, but I see why he is the starter.... IMO he would have been the starter if Vad had stayed.
Also, we didn't see a lot of JT in the scrimmages / spring. We got a huge dose of TB and he looked great. So much so that we wondered why JT was still the starter. Well, it is starting to look clear why he is still the starter.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Remember how good Joe Hamilton was at his best? Remember how bad that defense was. This year reminds me of that year. Except JT isn't Lil Joe just yet (give him another year or two). But that defense.....<shaking head>

TechPhi97

Jolly Good Fellow

I don't believe this is about stats, more about leadership and capability. I watched the first half if the game again last night and the key thing I saw was how JT was taking responsibility for those over throws, accepting when he missed a read, and then getting right back on the horse. The completion to Zenon to end the half really righted the ship for him.

He's going to make mistakes and my gut tells me we are going to have a tough year, but he sure looks like a guy that is going to keep getting better, and there is reason for optimism in my opinion.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@Longestday could you compile JTs 16 (updated from 15) passes into 1 or more vids?

My recollection is that most were 10+ yd targets. I know 7 of 11 completions resulted in 15+ yds but some of those would be yds after catch. Iow, he completed 67/69% of his passes w/out a lot of the short routes. We haven't done that before, regardless of competition, iirc.

Imo, OL aside, TW suffered from dropped passes and VL & JN from accuracy. It seems JT might get beyond both those issues.