QB coach

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Surprised that Tech's hiring of Chris Weinke as QB coach is unobserved. If so I give Collins A for effort, and hope it works. Now, if he will just stay the heck out of the QB room.

The downside is that an opening occurred when a Tech coach took a stop at ... Temple. A big step down career wide.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Surprised that Tech's hiring of Chris Weinke as QB coach is unobserved. If so I give Collins A for effort, and hope it works. Now, if he will just stay the heck out of the QB room.

The downside is that an opening occurred when a Tech coach took a stop at ... Temple. A big step down career wide.
It got some play. Posted in both the AJC and Ramblin Wreck.

AJC: https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...-for-georgia-tech/DC3ZG47DWVAZPCXEFUWC6SJJOU/
Ramblin Wreck: https://ramblinwreck.com/weinke-joins-tech-staff-as-qbs-coach/

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we will know fairly quickly if the offense and QB play has improved with Clemson as the first game. With UCF and Ole Miss as games 3 and 4, we will definitely know by the end of September if the new OC and new QB coach have made a difference

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’d still call that an increased role

IMO, it's a more prominent role...though I wouldn't say it's a more increased role given the special teams component (Kickoff, Kick return, FG, Punt) and coaching TEs.

What's going to be interesting to see is if Temple starts putting up All Conference OLs and gets them to the NFL compared to Key and GT. Now that should start some friendly discussions on this board.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think we will know fairly quickly if the offense and QB play has improved with Clemson as the first game. With UCF and Ole Miss as games 3 and 4, we will definitely know by the end of September if the new OC and new QB coach have made a difference
It will be tested. Clemson is returning an outstanding defense and hasn't forgotten the stress Tech put them through last season. It will be interesting, though, as Clemson has new coaches as OC, DC and defensive line coach. (Hard to track, but it looks like Venables took five coaches or support people from Clemson's staff. I am beginning to suspect his hard bargaining got him an unlimited salary budget.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO, it's a more prominent role...though I wouldn't say it's a more increased role given the special teams component (Kickoff, Kick return, FG, Punt) and coaching TEs.

What's going to be interesting to see is if Temple starts putting up All Conference OLs and gets them to the NFL compared to Key and GT. Now that should start some friendly discussions on this board.
Think I saw where he got a bump in pay as well.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
two words:
Jarrett Guarantano.
Is Jarret Guarantano a rare disease, the dictator of a banana republic island off of Ecuador or the name of a small Chilean winery specializing in blends of Malbec, Shiraz and Tempranillo? I am going with the third option - I distinctly recall sharing a decent decanter of a good '14 of it with my good friend the Baron at his dove shooting lodge outside of Cordoba. Or was he the guy who just reroofed my house? I swear, the older I get the more I cannot recall a darn thing.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Is Jarret Guarantano a rare disease, the dictator of a banana republic island off of Ecuador or the name of a small Chilean winery specializing in blends of Malbec, Shiraz and Tempranillo? I am going with the third option - I distinctly recall sharing a decent decanter of a good '14 of it with my good friend the Baron at his dove shooting lodge outside of Cordoba. Or was he the guy who just reroofed my house? I swear, the older I get the more I cannot recall a darn thing.
He is the guy responsible for the "culture" of the Tech football program, and for assuring all the football players know the coach really does love them no matter how phoney it sounds. Or as my mother once said of a phoney baloney Bible school revivalist professing his honor, "A man who has to say he is, ain't."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A guy who played QB for Tennessee 2 years ago, and is not in any way, shape, or form associated with GT is responsible for the culture of Tech’s football program?

Now that is certainly an interesting proposition. Did you even look at the post 4shot was responding to? Or do you just love spewing your own baloney?
upset, I gather.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
upset, I gather.
I don't want to speak for another but I did not get that tone at all from his post. I think he was politely suggesting that you read a post thoroughly and think about your response before you hit the reply button. Your response to my post was not relative at all to the topic, which was Jarrett Guarantino - whom I still do not know who or what he or she is. If I am out of line speaking for JacketOff, I offer him a sincere apology.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to speak for another but I did not get that tone at all from his post. I think he was politely suggesting that you read a post thoroughly and think about your response before you hit the reply button. Your response to my post was not relative at all to the topic, which was Jarrett Guarantino - whom I still do not know who or what he or she is. If I am out of line speaking for JacketOff, I offer him a sincere apology.
He was the starting QB at Tennessee until 2019 or 2020? Pretty sure he is from Atlanta and majored at UT in aerospace engineering. He was a turnover machine. Nobody seemed able to beat him out of starting but Bailey started games late in his frosh year when UT decided Guarantino wasn't getting it done.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He was the starting QB at Tennessee until 2019 or 2020? Pretty sure he is from Atlanta and majored at UT in aerospace engineering. He was a turnover machine. Nobody seemed able to beat him out of starting but Bailey started games late in his frosh year when UT decided Guarantino wasn't getting it done.
Thanks but I recall Ricky Dobbs as being the engineering major? Perhaps they both were? I do not trust my memory on these things tbh.