QB coach

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Q
Joshua Dobbs is from Alpharetta GA…, At UT, he went on a Knoxville TV station, and on a bet, rattled off pi to 48 digits by memory!!! Pretty bright dude!!
So Dobbs was at T and now is in pros.

Did our new Quarterback coach work with Dobbs?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Weinke is fairly unproven as a QB coach. That is why he was available. I’m not saying he won’t be good, but his earlier stints have not shown anything above average.
Without prejudging his impact on the position, I'm just encouraged that we have a coach dedicated to the position. If we need to hire an improvement later, cross that bridge when we get there.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Without prejudging his impact on the position, I'm just encouraged that we have a coach dedicated to the position. If we need to hire an improvement later, cross that bridge when we get there.
Could it be Collins has some ability to think and act in a long term strategic manner.?
May we someday have a qb room as talanted as last years rb room.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Kind of strange, though, that our OC has a stronger track record developing QB's than the QB coach. I hope too many cooks won't spoil the soup.

JacketFan137

Banned
Could it be Collins has some ability to think and act in a long term strategic manner.?
May we someday have a qb room as talanted as last years rb room.
with transfer rules this is highly unlikely. if you’re an RB you can find a way on the field cause an RB can’t get every touch. good teams basically play 1 QB unless someone is hurt.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Didn't Weinke play pro baseball and then came back to play college FB. Similar to what Russell Wilson did between NCSU and Wisconsin.

slugboy

Staff member
Didn't Weinke play pro baseball and then came back to play college FB. Similar to what Russell Wilson did between NCSU and Wisconsin.
Yes, he played minor league ball for years before FSU
Russell Wilson is different to me—he was a concurrent multi sport athlete. Weinke came in after years of not making it in baseball. Weinke also had a nearly impenetrable line to play behind

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Wilson was playing minor league BB while still at NCSU. Coaches wanted him to do spring practice and he opted for BB that spring. Hacked him off they would make his backup the starter and he transferred to Wisconsin. His backup threatened to transfer if Wilson didn't have to do spring ball. I think you are correct that Weinke plcked BB over FB first and then came to FSU. A little different situation but both did try 2 sports and ended up in FB.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wilson was playing minor league BB while still at NCSU. Coaches wanted him to do spring practice and he opted for BB that spring. Hacked him off they would make his backup the starter and he transferred to Wisconsin. His backup threatened to transfer if Wilson didn't have to do spring ball. I think you are correct that Weinke plcked BB over FB first and then came to FSU. A little different situation but both did try 2 sports and ended up in FB.
There have been a number of QB's that went to play baseball first and then came back to play football. Weinke was just the oldest, winning the Heisman at 28. I don't get what everyone is bitching about. He's a Heisman Trophy winner coming to work with the QB's. It'll work out or it won't, but what QB wouldn't want to learn from a Heisman winner. That's a credential not many recruiting HS QB's can set down on the kitchen table in some kid's house.

JacketFan137

Banned
nc state coach is an
There have been a number of QB's that went to play baseball first and then came back to play football. Weinke was just the oldest, winning the Heisman at 28. I don't get what everyone is bitching about. He's a Heisman Trophy winner coming to work with the QB's. It'll work out or it won't, but what QB wouldn't want to learn from a Heisman winner. That's a credential not many recruiting HS QB's can set down on the kitchen table in some kid's house.
i also think our issues ultimately had more to do with o line and playcalling anyway.

a better qb coach would help but when we can’t hold blocks and run such a vanilla offense it doesn’t matter whether the qb coach is a waffle house cook or peyton manning

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
nc state coach is an

i also think our issues ultimately had more to do with o line and playcalling anyway.

a better qb coach would help but when we can’t hold blocks and run such a vanilla offense it doesn’t matter whether the qb coach is a waffle house cook or peyton manning
I still think its a strategic improvement by collins to have a qb coach. The center and the qb touch the ball on every play.

I want to have an offseason happy thought that we block better and the qb gets way better.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Was the movie Talladega Nights about him?
That would be Ricky Bobby
share discover GIF