QB battle

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think the quote was in the next paragraph if you click the link.
I think he was talking about where CPJ said it's his job to lose but he has 4 guys he would feel he could call a game for. He said his job to lose because he has the most experience and was the # 2 last year but that doesn't mean the job belongs to him imo. He even followed it up latter by saying once we figure out who the starting QB is we will have to play to their strengths. That lets me know it's an open competition, but as of now it's MJ's to lose. Which I would agree with.

SlawDog

Banned
I think he was talking about where CPJ said it's his job to lose but he has 4 guys he would feel he could call a game for. He said his job to lose because he has the most experience and was the # 2 last year but that doesn't mean the job belongs to him imo. He even followed it up latter by saying once we figure out who the starting QB is we will have to play to their strengths. That lets me know it's an open competition, but as of now it's MJ's to lose. Which I would agree with.
Same could be said about DM. It's his job to lose.

GTFLETCH

Banned

It was in the Q&A Section of the transcripts, Stan Awtrey article is spot on. ... QB Matt Jordan would have to lose the starting spot in fall camp... There is NO QB controversy at GT.

Q. Coach, you talked about having to replace Justin Thomas. You're not alone. Four of your fellow coaches in the Coastal have to replace quarterbacks, as well. You've been through this process before. What do you look for in managing the process in bringing somebody new?

PAUL JOHNSON: Right. Well, if we've been doing our job as a coaching staff, we've got guys there in the program that are ready to play. I think a year ago, Matthew Jordan had to go up to Blacksburg, which is a really tough place to play and start the game, and we were fortunate that he won the game there. I think that gave him some confidence and gave our guys some confidence in him.Then this spring, he had an injury and missed most of the spring, so it gave some of our young guys, TaQuon Marshall, a chance, and Jay Jones and Luke Johnson, who were both redshirt freshmen who may actually be the most talented kids we've had at Georgia Tech since I've been there at quarterback.I feel good about that position. You know, it's Matthew's job to lose, but I think we've got four guys at that position that I could call a game for right now, and they're going to have the luxury of being surrounded -- it's very similar to three years ago when Justin was first starting and he was surrounded by a bunch of guys that had experience and had played a lot of football. And for us, four of the five offensive linemen are back, all the running backs and the leading receivers, so he's going to be surrounded, whoever it is, by a group of guys that have played a lot, and that season worked out pretty good. We ended up in the Orange Bowl and beating Mississippi State. Maybe hopefully we'll have another year like that.

GTFLETCH

Banned
For what I have heard they have talked about playing two guys early in the season.

I have never heard that from any coach. What I have heard is if the Jordan injury didn't heal well, GT could do what they did with TW & VL with the youngsters... But again I have never heard a coach say it, it was speculation with Joey Weaver and folks on this Board..

Again it is Matt Jordan who would have to lose his starting spot in Camp, just like D. Mills would have to lose his spot in camp for someone to start ahead of him!! Can it be done, yes, is it likely NO, not unless there is an injury!!

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
I have never heard that from any coach. What I have heard is if the Jordan injury didn't heal well, GT could do what they did with TW & VL with the youngsters... But again I have never heard a coach say it, it was speculation with Joey Weaver and folks on this Board..

Again it is Matt Jordan who would have to lose his starting spot in Camp, just like D. Mills would have to lose his spot in camp for someone to start ahead of him!! Can it be done, yes, is it likely NO, not unless there is an injury!!
I think they were talking about UT QB situation.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I will say this... Marcus Marshall lost his starting spot to D. Mills last year, so while QB Matt Jordan starts as #1 he could be beaten out in camp... I just think it is unlikely, Yes I Am a huge Matt Jordan Fan, I think the kid is the real deal and I am glad my sons look up to him!! But Step Durham is till my youngest boys favorite GT player!!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

He was asking about UT lol. But to your point about MJ and Mills, Mills was the starter last year MJ was not so it's hard to compare those two situations when they are different. I will say I believe MJ has a leg up, but I won't say it's unlikely someone will beat him out when it has been said it's an open competition and CPJ feels confident with any of the 4 guys. That right there should tell us it's pretty close.

GTFLETCH

Banned
He was asking about UT lol. But to your point about MJ and Mills, Mills was the starter last year MJ was not so it's hard to compare those two situations when they are different. I will say I believe MJ has a leg up, but I won't say it's unlikely someone will beat him out when it has been said it's an open competition and CPJ feels confident with any of the 4 guys. That right there should tell us it's pretty close.
Thanks.. my bad

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Right now MJ has the best command of the offense of all the contenders (contenders implies competition) and it's not close. He is beginning his 4th yr in the system while the others are beginning their second or first. He is the only one with live game reps and the only one with a win under his belt.

Also, while he may be a step down athletically, it's certainly not by a wide margin. Some guys want to paint the athletic disparity between Matt and the others as the Gulf of Mexico when that is simply no where near the case.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
MJ also has more than enough speed to make things happen. While the 60 yd td run against VT gets the highlight reels the very next offensive play shows him bouncing it outside and outrunning 3 or 4 Hokies for a big gain. Can be seen on the video clip a couple pages back of all the 2016 offensive plays against VT

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Right now MJ has the best command of the offense of all the contenders (contenders implies competition) and it's not close. He is beginning his 4th yr in the system while the others are beginning their second or first. He is the only one with live game reps and the only one with a win under his belt.

Also, while he may be a step down athletically, it's certainly not by a wide margin. Some guys want to paint the athletic disparity between Matt and the others as the Gulf of Mexico when that is simply no where near the case.
I ageee he is the leader, what I don't agree on is he's WAY ahead. He very well could be but none of us really know. Just because he's been in the system for 4 years doesn't mean a guy that's been in the system for 2 years can't match him. Like I said he's ahead for sure but i don't see how any of us can make the statement that it's not even close when we don't attend the practices.

SlawDog

Banned
I ageee he is the leader, what I don't agree on is he's WAY ahead. He very well could be but none of us really know. Just because he's been in the system for 4 years doesn't mean a guy that's been in the system for 2 years can't match him. Like I said he's ahead for sure but i don't see how any of us can make the statement that it's not even close when we don't attend the practices.
I don't see how any of us can say it's more likely than not that he will lose his #1 status since we don't attend the practices

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't see how any of us can say it's more likely than not that he will lose his #1 status since we don't attend the practices
I'm glad I didn't say it's more likely he will lose his #1 spot. Have you seen anyone state that?

Last edited: