QB and OC debate

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Enjoy your posts jacketup, but on this one, imo, you are missing a few things, such as : Giff was more than a "good" recruiter, but yes Collins had a considerable hand in that class--Johnson did not have the best talent ever assembled at Tech his first two years-- you give your CPJ prejudice away by not mentioning 2014-- actually the 2007 class was at a time of an extraordinary level of talent available in Georgia, and actually the recruits moms joined forces to have a considerable impact on them coming here in the numbers they did. CGC's first two classes will be Juniors and Sophomores next year, not exactly babies, huh? The seccg you probably watched last night, had numerous Jrs and Sos on both team's starting line-ups and many more on their two-deeps. Bama's QB who is a legit Heisman candidate, is a Freshman. Who said the following: We will recruit at an elite level, and later before this past season started: The time to win is now.

I respect your past posts, so I'd really be interested in what specific traits you have witnessed in the last three seasons as to CGC's HC credentials. For me, the only path for CGC to remain longterm is one surrounding him with excellent Coordinators and retain his recruiting strengths (although recruiting strengths are not unique to Geoff).

Look, I and most here knew good and well the transition would be tough, but that in and of itself does not preclude judging good solid fundamental coaching, during said transition. When the OL and secondary are consistently confused about who to block, and who should cover which receiver or area, it's not a good look on
Young is the same age as Sims. Same class and is a sophomore listed as a freshman. Technically Sims will be a sophomore next season as well. Collins class will be listed as freshmen and sophomores due to redshirts and covid.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, the offense was just slow. The mesh was the slowest I’ve ever seen from a team running this offense. Add the offensive line woes and the plays were never able to be run as diagrammed. Long will change all that garbage and have the QB get rid of the ball much quicker. Our WR’s should be the happiest group on the team. They are about to get their shot to shine. We just wasted 2 years by sticking to the 2 second mesh. And I’m loving the thought of getting Bailey. He’s exactly what we need for 2022 to either run it himself or push Sims to be better.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Young is the same age as Sims. Same class and is a sophomore listed as a freshman. Technically Sims will be a sophomore next season as well. Collins class will be listed as freshmen and sophomores due to redshirts and covid.
Technicality only. They are Sos and Jrs, i.e. 2nd and 3rd year in the program. 2022 will be the 3rd year as a starter for Sims. The DL will no longer be babies. Time to deliver.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
DUDE! Cardale was NEVER a running QB, and to add on Sims showed no progress this year, too many turnovers, lack of progression in reads, and in my opinion lacks "leadership".

The bolded part is correct. He did show lack of significant growth there. Now, considering he was playing behind a line that was as effective as a screen door on a submarine, there should probably be some allowances for that. Turnover rate was down, and that rate is regardless of games played.

JacketFan137

Banned
The bolded part is correct. He did show lack of significant growth there. Now, considering he was playing behind a line that was as effective as a screen door on a submarine, there should probably be some allowances for that. Turnover rate was down, and that rate is regardless of games played.
what i’ve gained from this thread is it’s pretty hard to see progress when it’s something you don’t wanna see lol these guys just want anything but sims at QB

he looked a lot better in the pocket and i actually do think he showed some growth and made some big plays checking down. he threw some bad picks but a pretty significant number were due to the line getting absolutely blown up

i think the issue was our o line and our passing game did not seem to develop any sort of quick hitters or intermediate game to cover up that weakness as well as not enough screens.

need chip long to make some adjustments to that cause i don’t see how our line will suddenly fix itself over night

JacketFan137

Banned
DUDE! Cardale was NEVER a running QB, and to add on Sims showed no progress this year, too many turnovers, lack of progression in reads, and in my opinion lacks "leadership".
lacking leadership is entirely an opinion based thing and you have no real basis to back that up. he’s not a big loud guy by any means but that’s not really indicative of a great leader or a bad leader. you’re just grasping at straws to hate him lol

the progress was absolutely there and his stats improved across the board. i don’t know how in the world anyone could struggle to see that.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
One interesting thing about RPO offenses, is that it isn’t always the biggest, fastest, best arm that makes it go.
Look no further than Philly. Brought in Wentz. Numbers off the charts, big arm, mobile. Resigned their old draftee Foles, nowhere near any of that innate talent level but ran the offense like a wizard.

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
Went from 19 turnovers in 2020 in 10 games, to 12 turnovers in 2021 in 7 games (2 of which were half games) so turnover rate was technically not down, just on pace.. (;

in the cfp for the 2014 season he had 17 carries in the semi and 21 in the championship. you want him to tote it 30 times or something lol?

🤦‍♂️
Astonishing dude. Cardale "Shotgun" Jones (don't get that nickname for being a "runner") had a 2.5 ypc rate against Bama and 1.8 ypc rate against Oregon. That's not an effective running quarterback that you're trying to paint him as. He is a passing qb that would extend plays with his legs. And that's not what Jeff Sims is.

And it's not "making stuff up" as you say, it's actual facts and actually stats.

We do not need a qb that relies on running the ball and cannot throw effectively or has a problem turning the ball over. We do need a qb that can throw effectively and only relies on running the ball to extend plays or change of pace(ex. Cardale Jones, Harrison Bailey).

You're killing me with this uneducated, unorthodox argument bud :/

JacketFan137

Banned
Went from 19 turnovers in 2020 in 10 games, to 12 turnovers in 2021 in 7 games (2 of which were half games) so turnover rate was technically not down, just on pace.. (;

Astonishing dude. Cardale "Shotgun" Jones (don't get that nickname for being a "runner") had a 2.5 ypc rate against Bama and 1.8 ypc rate against Oregon. That's not an effective running quarterback that you're trying to paint him as. He is a passing qb that would extend plays with his legs. And that's not what Jeff Sims is.

And it's not "making stuff up" as you say, it's actual facts and actually stats.

We do not need a qb that relies on running the ball and cannot throw effectively or has a problem turning the ball over. We do need a qb that can throw effectively and only relies on running the ball to extend plays or change of pace(ex. Cardale Jones, Harrison Bailey).

yeah this is just getting disrespectful at this point and i don’t see the point in continuing. you hate sims for some reason and can’t admit it. as an actual FAN of the team i will continue to support and believe in them. i will let you continue to be a negative and toxic fan who probably doesn’t even support the team in any way.

it’s clear you don’t watch very much football and you lack basic understanding of the game at both the college and nfl level.

this is exactly why people say we have a bad fanbase lol

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Not to get this thread even further off topic, but Cardale Jones can run the ball. Is he Lamar Jackson or Mike Vick? No, but he's an effective short to mid distance runner.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Now look again at your numbers. He had 12 INTs in 257 attempts for 5% in 2020 vs 7 in 187 for 3.7% in 2021. Not great, but still improvement.

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
yeah this is just getting disrespectful at this point and i don’t see the point in continuing. you hate sims for some reason and can’t admit it. as an actual FAN of the team i will continue to support and believe in them. i will let you continue to be a negative and toxic fan who probably doesn’t even support the team in any way.

it’s clear you don’t watch very much football and you lack basic understanding of the game at both the college and nfl level.

this is exactly why people say we have a bad fanbase lol
You're so dense.. because I put the stats out there that show we need someone else, but CGC continues to ride Jeff Sims when he's able to play regardless anyone else barring turnovers and short drives, I hate my team..? Okay what a typical scapegoat for someone that loses an argument. You need to watch more football and do more research on your stats.

I've supported the Jackets since I could walk. Sorry I actually do have basic understanding of the game. You want the game to change so bad but it's not. Passing qbs will continue to flourish and win. Harrison Bailey can throw and run the ball when needed. That is what we need. Sorry you're still stuck on some kind of option offense.