QB and OC debate

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
i don’t think that’s a good idea. no teams really see a lot of success with that. i would imagine sims would transfer if he loses the job.
The Saints did it with Drew Brees and Taysom Hill with great success. Florida did it with Kyle Trask and Emory Jones. Wisconsin did it in 2014 to the tune of a 11-3 record. Hell, Florida even did it with Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. It can definitely work if you have a play caller who can effectively use both guys’ talents and players who will buy into the system and not compete for the glory or limelight, and only compete for wins.

JacketFan137

Banned
The Saints did it with Drew Brees and Taysom Hill with great success. Florida did it with Kyle Trask and Emory Jones. Wisconsin did it in 2014 to the tune of a 11-3 record. Hell, Florida even did it with Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. It can definitely work if you have a play caller who can effectively use both guys’ talents and players who will buy into the system and not compete for the glory or limelight, and only compete for wins.
the taysom thing is not effective at all. you’ve listed like a handful of examples over the course of a decade. if this happens sims will almost guaranteed transfer. he’s too talented to accept a backup role like that

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
the taysom thing is not effective at all. you’ve listed like a handful of examples over the course of a decade. if this happens sims will almost guaranteed transfer. he’s too talented to accept a backup role like that
The Saints were the best team in the NFL last year while platooning Hill and Brees lmao. Sorry I didn’t list every single example of successful platoon QBs. I only listed the ones I could think of from the top of my head. You’re the guy who made his account pretty much solely to trash Yates, so your opinion doesn’t carry much weight with me anyway.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what Chaney is making with the Saints but think he was making around 1.5 million with the Vols.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The 'Chaney thing' is total speculation based on very tenuous threads. So, don't get too antsy.

I get the heartburn over hiring someone who worked 'over there'. But Chaney isn't a 'UGA Guy'. He's been all over the place.

He was good enough to get Ugag to within a TD of a NC with Tr.Fr. Jake Fromm. The knock on him from Dwag folks was that his play calling was too predictable. That he relied on out-talenting other teams, running the ball on 1st down, etc. Which, is what you can do, successfully, with their roster. A lot of them were happy when UT offered him more money. But their offense has been worse since he left. The problem appears to be Smart's conservative offensive philosophy. This year, they brought in Todd Monken as OC, who's a Big12 spread guy off the Mike Gundy tree. Yet, Kirby still has them running a super vanilla run-first offense with Stetson Bennett. Rumor has it Monken may leave after one year.

Chaney's career trajectory tarnished a bit from being caught up in the Pruitt situation at UT. But he's an experienced and well-regarded OC. He's a guy who probably should've gotten a shot to be a HC. But he's made some unlucky career moves - working for both Dooley and Pruitt on doomed staffs at Tennessee. He's exactly the kind of experienced and proven OC that could take on the GT job. If he improves things, he looks like a genius and it's a good move. If Tech is no better and CGC gets the boot. He'd make a decent interim coach. Probably doesn't get the blame and he's onto his next gig.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The 'Chaney thing' is total speculation based on very tenuous threads. So, don't get too antsy.

I get the heartburn over hiring someone who worked 'over there'. But Chaney isn't a 'UGA Guy'. He's been all over the place.

He was good enough to get Ugag to within a TD of a NC with Tr.Fr. Jake Fromm. The knock on him from Dwag folks was that his play calling was too predictable. That he relied on out-talenting other teams, running the ball on 1st down, etc. Which, is what you can do, successfully, with their roster. A lot of them were happy when UT offered him more money. But their offense has been worse since he left. The problem appears to be Smart's conservative offensive philosophy. This year, they brought in Todd Monken as OC, who's a Big12 spread guy off the Mike Gundy tree. Yet, Kirby still has them running a super vanilla run-first offense with Stetson Bennett. Rumor has it Monken may leave after one year.

Chaney's career trajectory tarnished a bit from being caught up in the Pruitt situation at UT. But he's an experienced and well-regarded OC. He's a guy who probably should've gotten a shot to be a HC. But he's made some unlucky career moves - working for both Dooley and Pruitt on doomed staffs at Tennessee. He's exactly the kind of experienced and proven OC that could take on the GT job. If he improves things, he looks like a genius and it's a good move. If Tech is no better and CGC gets the boot. He'd make a decent interim coach. Probably doesn't get the blame and he's onto his next gig.

Chip Long was an analyst under Pruitt while Bailey was there. And he has already confirmed to have interviewed with us. Much more likely that is the connection there

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Jaylen Hurts also so was Kyle Allen who has been an on and off NFL starter. The list is long and getting longer. Looks like both current OU QBs are transferring as well. A new era has dawned on college football.
The flip side of these examples are guys like Tate Martell and Hunter Johnson. We can easily spin this whichever way you'd like. Personally, I think Harrison would be an amazing addition and would love to him join the team.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I thiink what people are still worried about is. Has the page really turned or are we in for another year of beatings? There will probably be a lot of consternation until we find out who is running the Offense and Defense with the new coordinator hires. I hope and wish the page is turned. But has it?

yet, until we know, folks here will continue to trash our players, our staff, potential players, and potential staff. Oh, and they will exalt former coaches on high, and make remarks about future HOF coaches at academies or FCS schools that we should be bringing in.

So, until we know, why not just drop all of that?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I thiink what people are still worried about is. Has the page really turned or are we in for another year of beatings? There will probably be a lot of consternation until we find out who is running the Offense and Defense with the new coordinator hires. I hope and wish the page is turned. But has it?
Still plenty of hope here. We have lots of talent on this team if we can get some good coordinators in here to make the most of it. And though our choices may be limited, we only need one. We already apparently have Geoff at DC, who actually has a good track record as such. All we need is to find one good OC and we might be back in business. My hope is that TStan has told Geoff to get somebody to help him with gameday decisions, since he'll be busy with the defense. Maybe this can still work out.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
⬆️ EXACTLY THIS. Right now it is the Georgia Tech football program that is wallowing around with no clear direction. I wish like the dickens they would turn the page and move on but so far we are getting more of the same. Meanwhile I hope we win 10 games next year.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Jaylen Hurts also so was Kyle Allen who has been an on and off NFL starter. The list is long and getting longer. Looks like both current OU QBs are transferring as well. A new era has dawned on college football.
Ummmmmm ……… Justin Thomas? Yeah, I know he didn’t transfer in as a QB.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean we're a whole week out from the last football game. *Long* time to go before toe meets leather again.

You'll really know if there's a marked change in the talk in spring. If we hear about how elite we are, nothing has changed. If we start hearing about having to fight for respect and all other stuff you should hear fr a 3 win team, then maybe the tide will turn.