Punting Issues

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Understandable, given that he was likely told to "speed it up". Hard to differentiate between issues that were the result of poor blocking and those that were strictly the fault of the punter.
Yeah, all of this screams the need for a good ST coach to me. It isn't just one aspect, it's the totality of it.
Semore did a good job with the linebackers but not so much with special teams, although there was improvement.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I read just fine, you said he gave up a TD. You are blaming him for the TD being scored.
Whatever dude. Comprehend a whole post. He is a absolutely part of the blame for the TD for sure. Do you actually think he is even an average college punter? If so, so be I and you are simply wrong. He was a bad college punter this season. Hope we get some competition for him and he drastically improves.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Lots of time in the film room, plus about 100-150 punts 3 times a week at practice. Yes, I was the deepsnapper for GT from 1969-1971. Coached Freshman Cs & Gs plus Special Teams.

I paid attention to the details & science of kicking, including the punter's drop.
Come on Deepsnap you know GT fans know everything. Experience does not matter except in the fan's chosen field where they are the self proclaimed experts.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Whatever dude. Comprehend a whole post. He is a absolutely part of the blame for the TD for sure. Do you actually think he is even an average college punter? If so, so be I and you are simply wrong. He was a bad college punter this season. Hope we get some competition for him and he drastically improves.
Nowhere in your original post did you blame the rest of the guys on the field for the TD, you only blamed the punter. Saying he was a bad punter on a bad punting unit is not also blaming the other guys for the TD. And nowhere have I said he is even an average punter, so I'm not sure where you pulled that from.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I see your point and concur that the first step would tend to cover the same distance regardless of how many steps a punter takes. However, when accelerating you would tend to cover more distance with each subsequent step. For example, first step 2.5 feet, next 3.5 feet, next 5 feet, and so on. It's plausible that the last step in a three-step sequence covers an additional 6 feet that would not be present in a two-step kick.
I defer to @DeepSnap's expertise in this matter regardless.
A punter is not really accelerating much though, there is no benefit to that. The goal is to kick the ball as fast as he can, not run as far down field before kicking as far as he can.

The 3rd step in a 3 step punt is the longest and the same as the 2nd step in a 2 step punt. The 2nd step in a 3 step punt is the same as the 1st step in a 2 step punt, which is about a normal stride length. Only the first step in the 3 step punt is unique, and it's typically pretty short, maybe even a half or stutter step.

That's fine if you want to defer to DS. I would urge you to do your own research and draw your own conclusions, but I can understand this topic may not be of enough interest to you to warrant that.

^This has a section on 2 vs 3 step

^Former pro punter talks about his technique and 3 step punt

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Only the first step in the 3 step punt is unique, and it's typically pretty short, maybe even a half or stutter step.
Thanks for the links, I actually read them. :)
What I gleaned from your post and the linked guides that I believe directly applies to our punting woes is the guidance for a short first step. In support of your comment, the guides state that "The first step is a short weight-shifting 6 to 8-inch step with the non-punting foot.", or "The first, a jab or half step...".

So I went back to the video clips above and watched our punter's first step. It appeared to be a full step in both examples. Does that make a difference? Well, it brings the punter a couple of feet closer to the LOS at the time of punting than the recommended type of step, as well as taking a fraction of a second longer than a stutter step. A short first step might not have prevented all of our blocks, but it seems like a correctable technique issue that would take a bit of the burden off our blockers. It would be interesting to see if Shanahan's technique evolved by the end of the season, which would be a sign of coaching.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Lots of time in the film room, plus about 100-150 punts 3 times a week at practice. Yes, I was the deepsnapper for GT from 1969-1971. Coached Freshman Cs & Gs plus Special Teams.

I paid attention to the details & science of kicking, including the punter's drop.
DS--No doubt in my mind that you could have done a better job than "whoever" with the kicking team this yr! of course-It wouldn't be hard to not be worst in the nation.
btw-I was the LONE blocker with the punter in hi school.I just had to make sure I blocked the right guy.er, I was coached to do that. also--NO blocks with me. hmm

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
DS-I was the LONE blocker with the punter in hi school.I just had to make sure I blocked the right guy.er, I was coached to do that. also--NO blocks with me. hmm
Known as "Nine on the line plus Personal Protector....."

You rarely see that anymore..... Don't ask why .... IDK

Thanks....

THWg!

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
And some teams have BLOCKERS who might hold there blocks for half a second longer and then the punt is not blocked. Gee what a novel concept.
As I said above, from snap to boot, it was three seconds. That is way too long. The defense can always get an extra rusher if they want, especially from the edge. The punter needs to get rid of the ball in time. Shanahan does not.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
As I said above, from snap to boot, it was three seconds. That is way too long. The defense can always get an extra rusher if they want, especially from the edge. The punter needs to get rid of the ball in time. Shanahan does not.
What's the acceptable standard?