Proud of Our Guys

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Our biggest problem on D is no pass rush outside of Sneezy. Once he got tired, we had zero pass rush and Mason had all day. We really needed to bring extra guys way more than we did because our zone is so soft and no pass rush.
Thought the Aussie played well and put some pressure on mason.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I thought our offense actually didn't play that well. I wasn't that impressed with Vad. He made some bad reads too. Horrible throw that probably cost us the game. Still too easy to bring down even though I saw him make some good conversions.

Overall, this season is on CPJ's shoulders and then CMS. 7-5 in the crappy coastal is horrible.

We should have been 9-3 or better with all of this returning experience.

Our DL next year is unproven with zero play makers besides Gotis. We lose 3 OL and our best play maker (Godhigh)..

Not optimistic and buzzed.....

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Losing Attaochu and Thomas on D is huge and of course Godhigh on O. Next year is big for us.

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
We had all the momentum and energy out of the gate. I have no idea what happened. Godhigh played like he normally does. Attaochu was an animal. Vad actually looked good for the most part. He made some nice passes and actually exploded out of the backfield running for the first time since the UNC game. After that pick Vad threw is when it felt like the momentum started to shift. If we had just held on a bit longer and burned more clock on that final drive we'd be partying right now. No idea why we stopped running it in that situation. That first half was magical though, so exciting to be there. I'm just gonna try to forget we played the second half.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I thought our offense actually didn't play that well. I wasn't that impressed with Vad. He made some bad reads too. Horrible throw that probably cost us the game. Still too easy to bring down even though I saw him make some good conversions.

Overall, this season is on CPJ's shoulders and then CMS. 7-5 in the crappy coastal is horrible.

We should have been 9-3 or better with all of this returning experience.

Our DL next year is unproven with zero play makers besides Gotis. We lose 3 OL and our best play maker (Godhigh)..

Not optimistic and buzzed.....

I know you are hurt like all Tech fans (I keep repeating "we were up 20-0 and lost"), but your assessment of the offense and Vad last night is not true. I saw maybe 2 missed reads last and one of those I'm not sure if it was just a straight give. Other than the ill-advised int (I think Vad confidence was super high and thought, he played really well. On top of that, our OL were the aggressors, controlled the LOS and did good in pass pro.
I do agree with you that this season is on CPJ, but for a different reason. Last night offense is the offense we should have been seeing ALL SEASON LONG!!! Last night we saw what the offense could and should be. We saw the short and intermediate passing game that we have desperately been begging for. We looked like the efficient, balanced Spread option offense like an Auburn or Oregon. If did this vs. VaTech, Miami, or BYU who is to say we don't win 1-2 of these games.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
I know you are hurt like all Tech fans (I keep repeating "we were up 20-0 and lost"), but your assessment of the offense and Vad last night is not true. I saw maybe 2 missed reads last and one of those I'm not sure if it was just a straight give. Other than the ill-advised int (I think Vad confidence was super high and thought, he played really well. On top of that, our OL were the aggressors, controlled the LOS and did good in pass pro.
I do agree with you that this season is on CPJ, but for a different reason. Last night offense is the offense we should have been seeing ALL SEASON LONG!!! Last night we saw what the offense could and should be. We saw the short and intermediate passing game that we have desperately been begging for. We looked like the efficient, balanced Spread option offense like an Auburn or Oregon. If did this vs. VaTech, Miami, or BYU who is to say we don't win 1-2 of these games.

Totally agree with this. I think we beat Va Tech at the very least if we had opened it up. Vad is not a down the line option QB. It is fine to do that at times but he is a shotgun, spread QB who excels at being able to start 7 yards back and read the D whether running or passing. Vad can flat out throw the football if given time. Just think how good he would be if he had the amount of time to throw that Hutson Mason had yesterday. I think we can open it up even more than what we did last night. Truth be told I hate PJ's typical version of our offense and so do most high level recruits however if he will make a commitment to expand on what we saw last night then maybe, just maybe he can turn this ship around and save his job. Recruiting will only get better if we make a concerted effort to move our offense into the 21st century. The bowl game will be very telling. If we continue opening things up then it's a good sign. If we go back into our shell then PJ needs to go.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Dumbest call of the night was the toss sweep on 3rd and 2 in 2OT. Can't call a play that can lose that much yardage. Give it to Sims and worst case scenario you have 4th and 1. Also on Vad's second interception, not sure why we threw it there either.
We also had a 3rd and 4 when we were up 20 to 0 in the 1st half. We threw a 5 yard out that Synjyn couldn't reel in. Passing put us in a position to be up 20 to 0. I was pleased with the passing game. But on 3rd and 4... run the d*** football.

We could have gone down and scored to make it 27 to 0 and took enough time off the clock to probably go into half with that 27 point lead.

CPJ play calling has lost me at times.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW, Paul Johnson said he was just taking what the defense gave him, as far as passing it more. I take that as if he went back to the VT game and played them today he wouldn't change the play calling because he calls plays according to what he sees.

Hunter513

Georgia Tech Fan
This team can not play 60 minutes of football against better quality teams. Tech has had this problem under CPJ (with a few exceptions) since 2008. Chan's recruits. So what is the problem? Recruiting or CPJ or both? We have lost to the mutts 11 out of 12 tries 4 out of 5 under CPJ. I call this being totally owned by ugag. This is getting as old as I am. Sorry but this is just the way feel and see it. Tech fans have not had very much to cheer about with GT football since 1990 but the past 4 years have been the worse. Will the norm be 7-5 with 8-4 on a few occasions and losing each year to uga? Is this what fans should be happy with? The only positive I saw last night was a 20 to 0 lead. Then the negatives jumped up and bit this team on the rear all the way to OT. I don't plan on going away, been with Tech to long. But many fans will. Just look at the stadium on game day. What's the saying, If you build it they will come?

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am hurting :(

I could have been mistaken that the play was a true option play but I thought he should have given it to the Bback at least 5+ more times than he did...The outside was just not there. I only saw 2 missed reads on the outside.

Finch missed some key blocks. I saw Summers miss a 3rd string DB more than 3 times with one being a crucial play. The OL did way better than they have been playing though.

The UGA defense is nothing to write home about. BYU, VT, Clemson, and Miami all have better defenses than UGA by a mile.

The BIG PLAYS bailed us out many times like the TD in the beginning to Waller and the other TD's on 3rd and long. We couldn't get anywhere on first and second many times but then we converted a long 3rd down which I am ecstatic about by the way. However, I am not convinced that we would make those big plays against better defenses.

Our offense is going to miss our best play maker(Godhigh) and 3 OL. I dont see us getting that much better but I think we might be improved.

The defense is going to be worse IMO. There is a reason our DL was so gassed last night....no rotation. We can't count on the second string which is scary. Besides Gotis who else is going to step up? Gamble looks like another solid but not game changing DL. Who is going to replace Sneezy? We already have trouble with the pass rush. Jemea is gone and he was a baller. No one else back there is going to be on his level next year(might be wrong on that one) but I think we will be more solid in the back field. Watts is underrated as well. He can cover really really well.

Overall, I am not optimistic about where we are going. Is anyone else?

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I honestly don't think Godhigh is going to be that big of loss. People said that about Orwin last season, yet I haven't heard anyone say this season"man this offense is really struggling without Orwin." Someone will step up, my guess is Dennis Andrews. A lot more worried about the defense. We will have 5 CB on Scholarship, I believe. 2 RS Sophomores and 3 true freshmen.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I always thought Godhigh was good last year and knew he would step up. His 2012 stats also showed his talent and pointed to a great 2013. I do not see this foreshowing for any of the other AB's. Who knows who will step up? I know Days can block great, but has not proven reliable on the run. Andrews looks good and shows promise. Perkins has had some great moments as well. One thing is for sure... Godhigh has proven to be an outstanding player!

Custis may prove to be our new feature back. Keep in mind there are option plays that use the BB as the pitch man.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I'm curious why CPJ waited until OT to break out the trick plays, and not try the reverse on the last drive in regulation. I felt like that last possession was our best chance to win the game.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm curious why CPJ waited until OT to break out the trick plays, and not try the reverse on the last drive in regulation. I felt like that last possession was our best chance to win the game.

I know right? I kept hoping he would call a reverse on that last drive cause I knew it would work.