Proud of Our Guys

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Dumbest call of the night was the toss sweep on 3rd and 2 in 2OT. Can't call a play that can lose that much yardage. Give it to Sims and worst case scenario you have 4th and 1. Also on Vad's second interception, not sure why we threw it there either.
Vad had Smelter open on the post and didn't see him. He threw to the wrong guy. Actually, with the pressure and off his back foot, he should have threw it to the waterboy. I bet he wishes he had that throw back and doesn't blame CPJ for putting the ball in his hands one bit.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Dumbest call of the night was the toss sweep on 3rd and 2 in 2OT. Can't call a play that can lose that much yardage. Give it to Sims and worst case scenario you have 4th and 1. Also on Vad's second interception, not sure why we threw it there either.
In hindsight, I agree with you. It may have been because on the previous OT period, we ran the midline and we expected them to defend the midline there.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Tough loss when you're up by a bunch, but I never felt comfortable. Honestly I didn't think we would be in the game at all when I first got to the stadium. Still not happy with the loss, but I love the way Johnson opened up the offense with Vad. I think that, had he stuck with the run game like he did against other teams, we would have been beaten badly. Despite a mistake or two, I think this was one of his best called games.

We also did a really good job against Gurley, at least until overtime. Our problems defensively are our pass defense, and particularly our secondary. Swiss cheese. Just not enough talent.

But they played hard and came up short in a heartbreaker.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
What else was dumb was wasting our first timeout in the second half. Had we had that, UGA would have at least had to try to get the first down, if they don't, then we would have been in a really good position for a game winning FG.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
When you lose it in double overtime on the final play, there are always a plethora of game changing decisions.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought that the ball was going to Sims too. Ugag had been playing the edge all night, trying to prevent the big play. Pretty much did. Grantham has done that since he arrived.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Tough loss when you're up by a bunch, but I never felt comfortable. Honestly I didn't think we would be in the game at all when I first got to the stadium. Still not happy with the loss, but I love the way Johnson opened up the offense with Vad. I think that, had he stuck with the run game like he did against other teams, we would have been beaten badly. Despite a mistake or two, I think this was one of his best called games.

We also did a really good job against Gurley, at least until overtime. Our problems defensively are our pass defense, and particularly our secondary. Swiss cheese. Just not enough talent.

But they played hard and came up short in a heartbreaker.
Our biggest problem on D is no pass rush outside of Sneezy. Once he got tired, we had zero pass rush and Mason had all day. We really needed to bring extra guys way more than we did because our zone is so soft and no pass rush.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The toss sweep on 3rd & 2 was absolutely the worst call, but other than that this is the CPJ offense we've been waiting on for all season

Agree with every part of this statement. What made that 3rd and 2 call even more peculiar was the fact that UGA had blown up the previous play, also a toss sweep, and we were saved only because Godhigh made a play out of nothing.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
We stopped the best running back in the country for most of the game. Our offense showed it could move the ball with ease, when able to complete passes. I'm taking the positives. I think CPJ sees that we need to get better passing to make this offense next to unstoppable. Vad showed why he is the starter. Proud of our guys, yea we had a 20 point lead and let them come back, but they came back on Auburn who beat the almighty bama. I think our team is goin in the right direction with passing more. We will be able to recruit better QBs, WRs, and Oregon type RBs.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Our biggest problem on D is no pass rush outside of Sneezy. Once he got tired, we had zero pass rush and Mason had all day. We really needed to bring extra guys way more than we did because our zone is so soft and no pass rush.
The pass rush was bad, no question. Guy had all kinds of time to throw it on a number of series.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
We stopped the best running back in the country for most of the game. Our offense showed it could move the ball with ease, when able to complete passes. I'm taking the positives. I think CPJ sees that we need to get better passing to make this offense next to unstoppable. Vad showed why he is the starter. Proud of our guys, yea we had a 20 point lead and let them come back, but they came back on Auburn who beat the almighty bama. I think our team is goin in the right direction with passing more. We will be able to recruit better QBs, WRs, and Oregon type RBs.
I hope we see more of it. I don't believe that we would have had 200+ yards rushing had Vad not been passing the ball as well as he was. Had we shown that side of the offense earlier in the year, we beat VT and give Miami more of a game.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
NEWS FLASH: We ain't getting Oregon trackstars, buddy. These moral wins can kick rocks, this loss is on the coaches. Our 2/3 stars and preferred walk-on spilled their guts on the field today.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
I think our talent was good enough to beat their talent TODAY. Didn't get done. We got all the breaks and calls. Didn't get it done. There wasn't one time in this game where I said "Damn, their players our just to much for our guys"

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

As I said on the TOS, our D and Roof was in a bind. If you bring pressure, you leave yourself susceptible to ugag screen game. If you play coverage, well you get the ending we got

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
200% proud of our guys!!! They played hard and all the way till the end. Much better than a blow out and much better than playing from behind the whole game.

CPJ called a good game and Roof kept us in the game.

We did loose traction when we started to worry about the screen pass. We sent 4 rushers with limited rush and I even saw them hold up for the screen several times. We did not send J Thomas or a corner off the edge. I think some more random calls for rush/screen protection would have been good.