Protective Masks

GT_EE78

Banned
Here's some info on mask materials
note - testing at .3 micron isn't the full spectrum on airborne particles but it's a lot better than testing nothing
upload_2020-4-29_12-2-10.jpeg

I wouldn't normally link anything from huff post so it has it's usual admin bashing, but charts and data look useful
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/best-coronavirus-face-mask-materials-new-study-120000624.html

GT_EE78

Banned
I noticed that u said in other thread using a bandana.
as you can see (above) if it's cotton it doesn't filter well.
The cloth mask you linked looks like a good choice tho i wouldn't trust a PM2.5 filter without a niosh spec.
but that filter could be used as a template for crafting the size of folded paper towels,coffee filter ,etc
I'd guess you could get 5-10 filter cutouts from one HEPA vacuum cleaner bag.
no i haven't tried it but that's what i plan to do if my supplies run out before good ones are available.
big city gotta be rough. hope you're able to stay safe.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm jealous of that sweet GT cloth. I made mine using a cut up black t shirt with bright yellow stitching. I have a deviated septum, so even 16awg sold core wire wasn't enough to get a good seal.

I found that a quarter inch strip of beer can about 4 inches long then sewn in in 4 layers did exactly the trick after forming around my nose. I find 2 pairs of ties, the top tied at the base of the skull and the bottom tied at the crown of my head works a much better seal than hair ties around the ears.

Finally, an important warning to my fellow Jackets- hepa filters are made for blowers, not your face. They may have stuff in them thats bad for your lungs, up to and including fiberglass. If you use that in your mask make sure there's a layer of other material between it and your lungs that will filter any loose material from your hepa material.

Oh, and make sure you can breathe through it. If it doesn't permit enough air through it doesn't actually filter anything because the airflow will redirect around it (especially important for filter pocket filters).

I learned to sew by hand. Odd times.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
So my wonderful employer is now bringing everyone back at once to the cubicle farm. I'm lucky enough to have a small cubbyhole with a door . Disappointed they are not letting us do more teleworking.

We all have to wear masks which is great & our employer said they'd provide PPE masks to all employees. Well their idea of providing masks is to give us one a week. They claim the masks are reusable, that you can disinfect the mask in the oven @ 158 degrees for 30 minutes. It's a San Qi mask, grey/silver. I'm not sure whether it's a mask graded for pollution or surgical which would be a bit more protective. Seems like bs to me but I'm no medical expert. They say our Doctor over at EMA says they are in compliance with CDC recommendations.

Thoughts? Figure the mask they provided should be good for at least 1 wearing. Better off wearing/washing handmade cloth masks or baking & reusing this supposedly reusable mask from San Qi?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
So my wonderful employer is now bringing everyone back at once to the cubicle farm. I'm lucky enough to have a small cubbyhole with a door . Disappointed they are not letting us do more teleworking.

We all have to wear masks which is great & our employer said they'd provide PPE masks to all employees. Well their idea of providing masks is to give us one a week. They claim the masks are reusable, that you can disinfect the mask in the oven @ 158 degrees for 30 minutes. It's a San Qi mask, grey/silver. I'm not sure whether it's a mask graded for pollution or surgical which would be a bit more protective. Seems like bs to me but I'm no medical expert. They say our Doctor over at EMA says they are in compliance with CDC recommendations.

Thoughts? Figure the mask they provided should be good for at least 1 wearing. Better off wearing/washing handmade cloth masks or baking & reusing this supposedly reusable mask from San Qi?

What’s stopping you from getting your own mask?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

So it sounds like your employer is providing a better quality mask that you actually have, yet you’re complaining about what they are providing. Am I missing something here?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Most everything I've seen says using one for a week is fine and safe if you're not in a hospital type environment. I've used a N-95 about 5 times and will probably change it out to a new one shortly.

GT_EE78

Banned
Most everything I've seen says using one for a week is fine and safe if you're not in a hospital type environment. I've used a N-95 about 5 times and will probably change it out to a new one shortly.
I usually use a 3pack of N-95's each year for putting out fire-ant powder poison (wind)
I only use them now for 30min each two weeks(gro shopping) . one might last for years - dunno yet ....

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
So it sounds like your employer is providing a better quality mask that you actually have, yet you’re complaining about what they are providing. Am I missing something here?
Well, actually I'm not sure it's any better than the masks I already have. Some kind of mask made in China and when I asked,what kind of mask, they couldn't tell me. Can I get a model # or,name? I would like a little information on what the mask is usually used for. Is it just for pollution, dust, allergies? Also, they also said they'd there would be plenty of PPE, they didn't mention it'd be one per week.

Just think bringing everyone back at once, with everyone crowded together in an ancient building full of crammed cubicles with crappy ventilation is not too bright. Staggered work force in the office with more teleworking would be a smarter, safer option.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Well, actually I'm not sure it's any better than the masks I already have. Some kind of mask made in China and when I asked,what kind of mask, they couldn't tell me. Can I get a model # or,name? I would like a little information on what the mask is usually used for. Is it just for pollution, dust, allergies? Also, they also said they'd there would be plenty of PPE, they didn't mention it'd be one per week.

Just think bringing everyone back at once, with everyone crowded together in an ancient building full of crammed cubicles with crappy ventilation is not too bright. Staggered work force in the office with more teleworking would be a smarter, safer option.

These are not 95s trust me.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
My employer (also in cubeland) announced this morning that we will not completely reopen all of our buildings around the world until September 1 at the earliest. There will be completely voluntary "soft-openings" prior to that and we will be given 4 weeks advance notice of any of these soft openings.

Being a technology company I guess we've proven we don't have to be in the office to get the job done. So they're in no rush.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
You're supposed to wear a mask when you cannot successfully maintain a 6' buffer between you and others, and when in a confined space, such as a building or a store. Outside is not a problem as long as you can maintain social distancing.
Well we are confined in an old building. Layout- mostly tight cubicle farm with a few offices along with a crappy ac/heat system.

Flat roof building with a long history of mold problems. They had to move us out for a couple of months while they did mold remediation. Whatever you do, never buy a flat roof building. Been there since 2003, have seen two brand new roofs put on. Never can quite get the roof right,to make it leak proof.

Wish I was still teleworking 8 to 5 every day except the one day a week visit to the mostly empty office.

Last edited: