Props to Andrew Thacker (maybe CGC)

JacketFan137

Banned
Even if you take the blocked punts away, they still scored double what they scored last year. Is Clemson that much better this year? I don’t know. It’s the first game of the season, but the main reason I brought up last year’s game is we played them close and had a chance to force OT AT Clemson and we still only won 3 games. I’m not taking the fools gold of “playing well against a top program” again. Not to mention, while I agree the final score isn’t a true indicator of the game, we ultimately were not even in this game by the 4th quarter. No need for moral victories. We lost by 31.
you’re comparing unlike things. last year the weather was awful. poor conditions in that game really turned it into a ground and pound fest for both sides.

we showed way more on both sides of the ball in the game this year for me. last year we didn’t score a touchdown (largely due to yates) and our offense looked unable to do anything. tonight we actually had some time, sims got to get to a second and third read, and honestly aside from a crazy deep shot (that was more playcalling) he made way less mistakes.

i wouldn’t say we were good or anything but this was a competitive game the vast majority of the time and our d was looking solid until charlie got ejected when the refs wanted to get involved.

im not willing to write this team off until i see us against ucf and ole miss

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone's writing off the team or players. It's clear we have the players, the eyeball test and the independent rankings of composite talent match up. There's a very small amount of people that are responsible for the majority of our remaining issues. When we plug those 4 holes, we'll start doing better as we should be doing now.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
if you care what other fans think that much then quit watching football. that’s such a ridiculous thing to say grow up, be an adult and ignore them. nothing about that game was that embarrassing. if you’re that insecure about tech football find a new team

our defense actually looked a lot better. when not forced into **** field position they made some plays. our offense could have been better but that is by far, like literally universes better, than any d line we will see until uga. pre snap stuff was bad but that is actually coachable. you can’t overcome guys just getting outplayed and honestly the line held their own.

if you want to sulk and be super negative i get it since collins hasn’t given us much to be positive about throughout his time here, but if you think that this result is indicative of how we will look against the vast majority of the teams on our schedule i think you’re reaching and just seeking the negative in this situation.

if collins has your attitude we will suck all year but if he is mature and builds off of the things we did right then this team could actually compete in the coastal
Thank you for telling me which team I can follow unless I have your particular viewpoint. I will continue to watch football and root for Tech.

However, see bold above- You are now on my ignore list.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I thought the defense played pretty well until the ineptitude of the offense and bad punts just wore them down in the 2nd half. That play where we had them in third and long and about to sack their QB and he tossed it to the rb for a long run was a backbreaker and huge momentum swing.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
D did very good overall, but when CT was called for the targeting penalty and then booted from the game it started going down hill. That and the miraculous "escape" buy Ukulele (sic ;)) that went from being a sack to a 1st down spelled the end.

The two blocked punts left the D in a crappy position. Oh, and the PI call, I've seen not called more often than not.

JacketFan137

Banned
I don't think anyone's writing off the team or players. It's clear we have the players, the eyeball test and the independent rankings of composite talent match up. There's a very small amount of people that are responsible for the majority of our remaining issues. When we plug those 4 holes, we'll start doing better as we should be doing now.
idk some of the tones of users in this thread seem like some people are REALLY down on this team already and treating this like it was an fcs team not a top 10, 24 point favorite opponent.

good news is we don’t play a team that good for a few months so in theory every game should feel like we are way faster, have more time, etc.

the big thing, which has plagued us all collins tenure, will be actually building off of the positive and moving forward. based on what some players said on social media i think they have the right attitude and will improve rather than regress. glad we get a tune up confidence builder before we take on ole miss

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Klubnik looked good but he was playing against some of our backups too, who knew there was no way they were winning. Also it helps throw tds when you run pick plays
He was playing with his backups too
We still had a handful of 1s out there

GT33

Helluva Engineer
idk some of the tones of users in this thread seem like some people are REALLY down on this team already and treating this like it was an fcs team not a top 10, 24 point favorite opponent.

good news is we don’t play a team that good for a few months so in theory every game should feel like we are way faster, have more time, etc.

the big thing, which has plagued us all collins tenure, will be actually building off of the positive and moving forward. based on what some players said on social media i think they have the right attitude and will improve rather than regress. glad we get a tune up confidence builder before we take on ole miss
I think you're reading many of them wrong.

People don't like:
a. Lack of discipline- typically a GT strength, been a weakness last 3 years and continuing into today
b. Lack of effort- geez some players took plays off AND still stayed in the game. GT historically never wins when we don't get a full team effort.
c. Bad game management- this is Year 4, hire someone to help if you're not up to the task

These are all leadership related problems, hence all the angst. If we just got whipped by a far physically superior team, well that would be one thing, it's how we're getting beat which is terribly troubling.

As far as who we played is concerned, Clemson playing in any other conference with their starting QB is not a Top 10 team, but they have only 1 real challenge in ND. They'll likely get beat in 1 or 2 others games if they don't solve their weak QB issue. I'm not sold on their D either against top competition looking at how they played last night. Frankly, I'm not sure they're better than their 10-3 last year record & sitting home for conference championship given their lack of edge last night.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

People don't like:
a. Lack of discipline- typically a GT strength, been a weakness last 3 years and continuing into today
b. Lack of effort- geez some players took plays off AND still stayed in the game. GT historically never wins when we don't get a full team effort.
c. Bad game management- this is Year 4, hire someone to help if you're not up to the task

These are all leadership related problems, hence all the angst. If we just got whipped by a far physically superior team, well that would be one thing, it's how we're getting beat which is terribly troubling.

As far as who we played is concerned, Clemson playing in any other conference with their starting QB is not a Top 10 team, but they have only 1 real challenge in ND. They'll likely get beat in 1 or 2 others games if they don't solve their weak QB issue. I'm not sold on their D either against top competition looking at how they played last night. Frankly, I'm not sure they're better than their 10-3 last year record & sitting home for conference championship given their lack of edge last night.
By mid year their hot shot freshman QB may be starting if he gets more game experience. What they got starting now ain't that great.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We, don't need to play a top ten team like Clemson the first game of the season. A young untested team with a lot of new faces needs a Mercer or Samford to work out the kinks. Having said that , I saw some rays of hope in both the offense and defense. The transfer portal and NIL has changed college football forever. I still have lost the little confidence I had for CGC as a head coach.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I hate it but I have to agree with the notion of, "they still put up 41 points on us."

I do not understand how that can be a good defensive showing. I know we are looking for positives and I am as well. But 41 points is a lot of points to then assert that your team had a good defensive showing.

I think we looked motivated on defense because it was a big stage and a new season. I will say that.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
you’re comparing unlike things. last year the weather was awful. poor conditions in that game really turned it into a ground and pound fest for both sides.

we showed way more on both sides of the ball in the game this year for me. last year we didn’t score a touchdown (largely due to yates) and our offense looked unable to do anything. tonight we actually had some time, sims got to get to a second and third read, and honestly aside from a crazy deep shot (that was more playcalling) he made way less mistakes.

i wouldn’t say we were good or anything but this was a competitive game the vast majority of the time and our d was looking solid until charlie got ejected when the refs wanted to get involved.

Not getting my hopes up isn’t writing the team off. I’m just saying we’ve seen this before and nothing ultimately changed. Remember the UNC game last year? Give me two wins in a row and maybe I’ll start to feel something positive.

pittkesh99

Georgia Tech Fan
I hate it but I have to agree with the notion of, "they still put up 41 points on us."

I do not understand how that can be a good defensive showing. I know we are looking for positives and I am as well. But 41 points is a lot of points to then assert that your team had a good defensive showing.

I think we looked motivated on defense because it was a big stage and a new season. I will say that.
Well let’s look at the defensive performance critically instead of just reading the box score. The final TD was absolutely a garbage time score where the team had accepted a loss. Clemson got 2 TDs after our special teams gifted them the ball in the red zone/by the goal line. Take away the situations where nearly every defense in the NCAA would have given up a score, Clemson scored 20 on us when we tried. This is with a tired D that had to be on the field constantly with a stagnant O. This Clemson O also looked better than last year. Holding a top team in the country (Maybe they aren’t really #4 but they still are a good team) to 20 is a massive accomplishment to me.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I would also point out that Clemson was not a top 20 team on offense last night. Defense, maybe. We’ll see in the coming weeks. They will not finish in the top ten playing like they did.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I would also point out that Clemson was not a top 20 team on offense last night. Defense, maybe. We’ll see in the coming weeks. They will not finish in the top ten playing like they did.
Pretty much. They performed better against us than last year but they still have some glaring issues on offense, especially at the QB position. I still think they make a QB change after 4-5 games and they will look much better by the end of the season.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

People don't like:

this is what I thought that the Jim Chaney hire might be about. Guess it wasn't.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Damn, I had no idea. I’ll try and watch the replay tonight or tomorrow and see what Chaney was doing.

I feel like I saw Chaney way down the sideline a few times and well away from Collins, but that could just be one offs.