Projected 2014 two deep for 2014

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking, what are the odds of seeing PJ Davis playing SS / nickel for us going forward? Being the 2014 Jemea
Good question, but I'm not persuaded yet about pj in pass coverage--happy to be proven wrong. I think Golden has shown the athleticism and skill to play that role, assuming he heals well.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Golden may cover well in pass coverage, but he goes for the cut block versus the tackle when he has to stop the run.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric- I know you think a lot of Justin Thomas. I'm curious why you don't see Justin starting next season ahead of Vad?
Thanks for everything you do.

He very well could. It would not surprise me at all. I stuck with Vad due to him being starter now.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Caleb Kinlaw could come in and make the 2deep at Aback as a true freshman.

He could but the coaches like using the redshirt year to get them better at blocking..and that is something he has not done a lot of.

Plus we have some depth ahead of him

Synjyn Days
BJ Bostic
Deon Hill
Dennis Andrews
Charles Perkins
Donovan Wilson

I just don't think with him coming during the Summer he will have enough time to pick up the blocking and unseat those 6 guys.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I figured McNair would take Watts place next year. Do you feel Macordes is better than him? What about Davis' chances of playing the position?

I do. Marcordes has shown some really good things this year.

There is a chance that Davis could be moved over and start there.

Huntrey

Georgia Tech Fan
LT - Chris Griffin, Nick Brigham
LG - Trey Braun, Shamire Devine
C - Freddie Burden, Thomas O'Reilly
RG - Shaq Mason, Errin Joe
RT - Chase Roberts, Bryan Chamberlain

Like the promise of a lot of the players listed above...but that's the ENTIRE group of OL (minus Bailey and true FR) next year. We will be in a bad way if/when injuries hit.

Huntrey

Georgia Tech Fan
Injuries you can't predict but it's a good looking 2 deep group for sure :cool:

Yes, but that's just it - it's only two deep. There aint no one else. And no, you can't predict injuries, but they will happen. Even if we somehow get lucky and skip out on a season-ending injury next year (note: we had two this year - Joe and Burden), we will certainly have a few players miss multiple games (Beno and Bailey). The fact is that we have 10 guys on the OL next year and ZERO margin for error/injury.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's my guess:

QB: Vad Lee, Justin Thomas
AB: Deon Hill, Synjyn Days
AB: Charles Perkins OR BJ Bostic
BB: Zach Laskey OR Travis Custis
WR: DeAndre Smelter, Micheal Summers
WR: Anthony Autry OR Darren Waller
LT: Chris Griffin OR Chase Roberts
LG: Trey Braun OR Shamire Devine
C: Freddie Burden, Thomas O'Reilly
RG: Shaq Mason, Errin Joe
RT: Chase Roberts OR Brian Chamberlain

SDE: Pat Gamble, Kevin Robbins
WDE: Anthony Williams OR Tyler Stargel
DT: Francis Kallon, Jimmie Kitchen
NT: Adam Gotsis, Shawn Green
SLB: Paul Davis OR Anthony Harrell OR Tyler Macordes
MLB: JHD OR Harrell
WLB: Quayshawn Nealy, Beau Hankins
CB: DJ White, Step Durham
CB: Lynn Griffin OR Jamal Golden
FS: Jamal Golden OR Lynn Griffin *note on these two spots - I think either of capable at starting at either spot
SS: Isaiah Johnson, Demond Smith

KR: Jamal Golden, DeAndre Smelter
PR: Jamal Golden
K: Harrison Butker
P: Ryan Rodwell OR Harrison Butker

Good Picks! I would change a couple of things:

Jamal Golden and Lynn Griffin at Kick Return (both have previous experience)
Golden at Kick return with Smelter seeing some time
CMilt at either corner or safety. Step is good but he will need a year to adjust to the speed of the game.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Good Picks! I would change a couple of things:

Jamal Golden and Lynn Griffin at Kick Return (both have previous experience)
Golden at Kick return with Smelter seeing some time
CMilt at either corner or safety. Step is good but he will need a year to adjust to the speed of the game.
I could totally see CMilt playing some corner. And I could also see Step coming in and winning the nickel job in the fall

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
I went and rewatched the Pitt game and I am not so sure mason is coming back next year. He owned Dobson that game. The only time Dobson made a play he lined up over 78. And he made a play every time he lined up over 78.

I thought Roberts played a good game as well.

I must say that the smelter catch reminded me of Calvin johnson.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I went and rewatched the Pitt game and I am not so sure mason is coming back next year. He owned Dobson that game. The only time Dobson made a play he lined up over 78. And he made a play every time he lined up over 78.

I thought Roberts played a good game as well.

I must say that the smelter catch reminded me of Calvin johnson.

I assume you mean donald not dobson. Shaq played as a true Fr, iirc, and may need another season to get his degree. Hopefully, that motivates him to stay. Losing him on top of Beno, Finch and Jackson would hurt.