ProJackets Update

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Why play in the frozen tundra? He is in a no state tax state now. The Raiders have improved recently but Gruden leaving has not helped keep their momentum. Who will be the QB in Green Bay 2 years from now? Got to be better options.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Why play in the frozen tundra? He is in a no state tax state now. The Raiders have improved recently but Gruden leaving has not helped keep their momentum. Who will be the QB in Green Bay 2 years from now? Got to be better options.

Waller doesn't really have the choice in this case. WHile he got a great contract he doesn't have a no trade clause in it. Besides if he gets a ring with Rogers he gets a ring and his worth goes up even more.

JacketFan137

Banned
Waller doesn't really have the choice in this case. WHile he got a great contract he doesn't have a no trade clause in it. Besides if he gets a ring with Rogers he gets a ring and his worth goes up even more.
i just don’t see the point in the trade. the raiders think they are a competitor and could have a crazy passing game with adams, waller and renfrow + a pretty underrated QB. i just don’t see why you make win now moves like adams then trade your best player

Techster

Helluva Engineer
i just don’t see the point in the trade. the raiders think they are a competitor and could have a crazy passing game with adams, waller and renfrow + a pretty underrated QB. i just don’t see why you make win now moves like adams then trade your best player

If you read the article, it explains a lot. If it makes sense to Waller, the Raiders, and Green Bay, that's all that matters.

This trade was supposed to happen earlier, but fell through due to Adams free agent status.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Looks like we have 3 players projected to get drafted in rounds 4-7 on Saturday (Carpenter, Cochran, Thomas). This is crazy to think, but if we have a player drafted before the 6th round, it will be our first since Gotsis (per KS, AJC)

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...-in-on-nfl-dreams/BCUU56Z6FBACJD7FRPBK2N53ZM/

The fact that we have so few Jackets going in the draft is sad. Not that I believe we have to produce NFL talent regularly to win (we haven't had to in the past but times are changing), but it's cool seeing players that you followed through their entire college career have life-long dreams come true. Let's hope we have something to celebrate together on this board over the next 3 days!

JacketFan137

Banned
Looks like we have 3 players projected to get drafted in rounds 4-7 on Saturday (Carpenter, Cochran, Thomas). This is crazy to think, but if we have a player drafted before the 6th round, it will be our first since Gotsis (per KS, AJC)

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...-in-on-nfl-dreams/BCUU56Z6FBACJD7FRPBK2N53ZM/

The fact that we have so few Jackets going in the draft is sad. Not that I believe we have to produce NFL talent regularly to win (we haven't had to in the past but times are changing), but it's cool seeing players that you followed through their entire college career have life-long dreams come true. Let's hope we have something to celebrate together on this board over the next 3 days!
after gaileys recruits finished paul really struggled to get his guys in the nfl. they were all niche pieces that didn’t line up with nfl expectations for size and speed. collins recruits now have 3 years under their belts so hopefully we can see some of them make it

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

This is going to be tougher going forward. If we have underclassmen who are looking like potential NFL prospects then we will have to fight (and spend) to keep them here.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
after gaileys recruits finished paul really struggled to get his guys in the nfl. they were all niche pieces that didn’t line up with nfl expectations for size and speed. collins recruits now have 3 years under their belts so hopefully we can see some of them make it
I’m not sure I understand why getting former players in the pros should be a priority. It’s great if that is their goal but getting players to go pro does not help Tech in any measurable objective way. I suppose if we got players in at the rate Alabama does it would help recruiting but that is never going to happen at Tech. For as long as I’ve watched football I’ve noticed that being good in college does not automatically translate into a pro career. At the end of 2014 I would argue that there was no better fullback (BB) in the country than Days. And if you were building a college team from scratch he would be among the first players you would pick. But he was not a pro player. But that didn’t make him less valuable at the college level.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
This is going to be tougher going forward. If we have underclassmen who are looking like potential NFL prospects then we will have to fight (and spend) to keep them here.
I agree with this mostly. It is not GT's fault in itself, the college football landscape is in the middle of it's biggest upheaval in its history. I fear NIL is going to relegate mid to low-teir P5 schools to defacto G-5 status. We are going to become the SC Freiburg of the Bundesliga and see all of our top players poached by the Bayern Munichs of the world with lucrative contracts.

That said, the top schools only have so many roster spots and we can still develop players into NFL talent. There are plenty of top-notch NFL players (Mack, for one) that came from G-5 schools. Not to divert too far off of the thread's topic, but I think some P5 schools will have to debate whether to choose a dramatic change of course and attempt to break the mold to win. I think that running weird, exotic systems in college football with players that are not poached by the larger schools may be the answer. Please don't think this means only CPJ's offense. A derivative of that offense may be an answer, if it survives the continuous rule changes that the NCAA passes, but also air raid offenses that rely on X's and O's instead of superb God-given talent. My fear for GT in this regard is that we pulled the trigger approx. 20 years too soon with the CPJ hire and are now somewhat jaded by it. The CGC is definitely a reaction of sorts to CPJ - they are the opposite of each other in too many respects, we can all admit that.

Back to the draft. I think Carpenter will be our first player drafted and think he will be a late 5th to 6th round pick. Thomas and Cochran will be drafted as well, perhaps in the 7th. Swilling and Quez Jackson will get undrafted deals. In all, regardless of who recruited and who coached them, these young men getting a shot at the NFL is comething to celebrate and we should all be happy for them and not let discussion about their success devolve into the petty bickering that has been going on in every thread on this forum for the past 3 years. I say that knowing full well that I have done more than my fair share of complaining.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Bruce Jordan-Swilling give running back a shot in the 2023 XFL. He was a 4-star RB recruit.