ProJackets Update

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I said at the time when Waller signed his extension it too early and he was accepting a lower value. I get why he did, but his trajectory was on the way up...he would command MONSTER contract numbers right now.

He's still learning to play TE that's the scary thing. Right now, he's probably faster and more explosive than Kelce and Kittle, and he's got a higher ceiling given he's still got room to grow physically. Raiders still don't throw his way as much as they should. Waller is literally learning to play the TE position at the highest level...that tells you how much of a freak athlete he is playing a position he didn't play until about 5 years ago. His numbers are only going to get more ridiculous as the years go buy and he learns the nuances to the TE position and his body develops.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I said at the time when Waller signed his extension it too early and he was accepting a lower value. I get why he did, but his trajectory was on the way up...he would command MONSTER contract numbers right now.

He's still learning to play TE that's the scary thing. Right now, he's probably faster and more explosive than Kelce and Kittle, and he's got a higher ceiling given he's still got room to grow physically. Raiders still don't throw his way as much as they should. Waller is literally learning to play the TE position at the highest level...that tells you how much of a freak athlete he is playing a position he didn't play until about 5 years ago. His numbers are only going to get more ridiculous as the years go buy and he learns the nuances to the TE position and his body develops.
Tight ends have a career expectancy of probably five or six years. The LOS is a mean place, and the further outside of it he can get the longer he will last.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I think Waller could put up even more massive numbers if he had a all pro qb like kelce does. Imagine waller with someone like mahomes, wilson, Rodgers, Brady, josh Allen, he could put up unreal numbers.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tight ends have a career expectancy of probably five or six years. The LOS is a mean place, and the further outside of it he can get the longer he will last.

I did a little research, and Waller is about the 10th highest paid TE at 7.5 mill per year. Given who is above him, established TEs who have produced at a high level for multiple years, I will have to take a mulligan and say he's paid about right. If he keeps producing at this pace, when his current contract expires, he will be in the same contract stratosphere as Kelce and Kittle:

Keep in mind, Kelce and Kittle recently negotiated their contract, so that will give Waller a good sense of what he can expect. Given how NFL contracts mean nothing, I wouldn't be surprised to see Waller try to renegotiate it before the end of his current contract (expires in 2023).

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Darren Waller will not see the end of his current contract. Guys like him get a new extension prior to the contract expiring. George Kittle currently has the largest TE contract at 5 years $75 million with $40 million in guarantees. If Waller keeps up his current production he may be the first TE with $100 million contract and over $50 million garaunteed.

slugboy

Staff member
I think Waller could put up even more massive numbers if he had a all pro qb like kelce does. Imagine waller with someone like mahomes, wilson, Rodgers, Brady, josh Allen, he could put up unreal numbers.
I watched Kelce yesterday against the Falcons. He's an incredible receiver. The Falcons played possibly their best defense of the year, and he's so agile that he's a nightmare to cover.

For Waller, I saw a lot of sportswriters griping that the Raiders don't get him the ball enough.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Not sure I'd put Waller on the same level as Kelce but he is a matchup nightmare. Kelce is just on another level with how well he reads the field and knows exactly where to be to help his QB out.

While I certainly think Mahomes would be an All-Pro on any team in the league, Kelce would be the one guy on that team who would see absolutely no drop off in production outside of Andy Reid's offense. Maybe Adam Gase could F him up but that'd probably be it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I did a little research, and Waller is about the 10th highest paid TE at 7.5 mill per year. Given who is above him, established TEs who have produced at a high level for multiple years, I will have to take a mulligan and say he's paid about right. If he keeps producing at this pace, when his current contract expires, he will be in the same contract stratosphere as Kelce and Kittle:

Keep in mind, Kelce and Kittle recently negotiated their contract, so that will give Waller a good sense of what he can expect. Given how NFL contracts mean nothing, I wouldn't be surprised to see Waller try to renegotiate it before the end of his current contract (expires in 2023).
I had no idea he was getting that kind of money.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Darren Waller will not see the end of his current contract. Guys like him get a new extension prior to the contract expiring. George Kittle currently has the largest TE contract at 5 years $75 million with $40 million in guarantees. If Waller keeps up his current production he may be the first TE with $100 million contract and over $50 million garaunteed.
Were I him my bedtime prayer would be they don't draft a lights out WR.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

1609727122736.png