Progress on the academic front - Sports, Society, & Technology

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sports, Science, & Technology is no longer a certificate, but an official minor.

http://hts.gatech.edu/sports

When overlaying this minor with majors such as Business Administration, STAC, or an Engineering discipline from GT, it really becomes a pretty powerful credential to apply your field of study to the Sports industry in some form.

This can be a pretty powerful tool in recruiting. While this program is not meant to be a hiding place for athletes, you can leverage the sports-related minor to get in to fields like sports broadcasting or journalism, sports management (i.e. - managing a team, its operations, its finances, etc.), or maybe designing sports-related products & services.

Pretty exciting stuff, which I'm sure many students, athletes or otherwise, will seek to take advantage of.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
If we can get our football alums to be high school coaches through this, it would be a huge step. That's what some of them want to do, and it could only help in future recruiting.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we can get our football alums to be high school coaches through this, it would be a huge step. That's what some of them want to do, and it could only help in future recruiting.
Another great example of how to apply the minor. Great point!

I had a chance to meet with some staff of this program last January and the keyword was "apply".

It's a great opportunity to get an amazing GT education in your chosen major and overlap it with the multi-billion dollar Sports industry.

Last edited: