Program has bigger problems

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
CrackerJacket: Yes, that is part of the problem of attendance at Tech. Many students at Tech come from afar and then go back to their homes away from the State of Georgia. It is imperative that Tech attract the so-called sidewalk fans like myself. We are some of the strong groups that were attracted to Tech by the winning tradition established by Dodd. Yes, I keep bringing up his name, and know we cannot bring him back, but it is a winning tradition that attracts fans at Tech not the students per se. A winning team will pack out Bobby Dodd Stadium, but it cannot be a year here and a year there, it must be a strong winning tradition to keep the sidewalk fans.
Winning consistently solves lots of issues. We should all welcome all GT fans regardless if they , family, etc. went to GT or not.

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Bud Peterson isnt a good thing for Tech.
Could not agree more. This is the first time I have heard of the thing with DRad, but as a 4th year student I have seen over my 4 years at Tech that Peterson is not a good thing for the program, and in my opinion, for Tech in general. Since he has come in, he has raised tuition as much as he possibly can each year because he wants Tech to charge as much as "its peer institutes." This, combined with his lack of support for Athletics, has shown me that he wants to make Tech as much like MIT as possible, which I think is a huge mistake. Tech is not MIT, and we never should try to be. Yes, we both have great engineering programs, but that's where it ends. Tech is a public school with proud, historic athletic programs and great traditions. The embarrassing level of student and alumni support needs to change as well, but I really think that Peterson is taking this Institute in the wrong direction, and I would love to see a change. Additionally, I have friends in SGA who have said that Peterson is taking bribes and kickbacks for hiring certain construction companies to do his constant construction projects, and if true that makes me want to see him removed all the more.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just want to throw a question out there.

As a "sidewalk" fan of better than 40 years and a season ticket holder for better than 25 years I have always felt welcomed and appreciate by other Tech supporters, both alums and other "sidewalk" fans. Is the a perception or an attitude that folks like me aren't welcomed or "true" fans?

LibertyTurns

Banned
OJF, the same people that whine like little babies every time we start talking about exceptions generally look down their noses at non GT grads. They think that somehow their precious little degree would be ruined by having athletes that aren't scholars. Wake up- they're already not rocket scientists for the most part. Ever heard anyone say, wow that Stanford doctor isn't worth a crap because their starting DL didn't really go to classes? Never happens.

I do draw the line at Mutt fans. No matter how much any of them say they root for GT except when we're playing them. I'm not buying it.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
OldJacketFan: Yes and No. There are many grads who consider all fans equal, but there are some grads or present students who consider sidewalk fans as not true fans. However, they are not very bright, because many of the non-grads were longtime avid fans before some of the students or grads were even a gleam in their father's eyes. I ignore those type, because they are immature and know very little about life in general.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
Well that was a very frustrating game to watch- Poor coaching, blocking, and blown coverage while their QB runs around as much as he wants.

CPJ was forced to try to use Trick Plays because his offense was so bad. We couldn't block besides the first quarter and the Waller throw. Vad looked timid which is due to the amount of pressure he faced. Still he should handle it better. Our worst blockers are 5th year seniors which is pretty bad when you think about it.

However, this isn't just a coach problem. The academic restrictions, alumni support, lack of money, lack of marketing, support staff, and many other issues are going to be a problem for any new coach that we hire. CPJ is figuring this stuff out a little more every year. He has done a good job fixing the recruiting staff, building relationships with HS programs, upgrading facilities, getting more money, and getting some academic flexibility with admissions. But he is still fighting an uphill battle..

I am not sure the next guy will be able to combat those things successfully. CPJ is not coaching well right now but he seems to be making some progress in the other areas. Lets face it though...GT is one of the toughest gigs with all of the additional hurdles.

GT administration needs to get serious about football and help support the program more whether or not the coach is CPJ or someone new in 2015.

This is my quick little rant...I am starting to realize that there are bigger problems at GT than just bad coaching...

Lets hope this year will be better! Go Jackets!

With all do respect.....this attitude is the problem. We need to stop with the excuses when we can't play fundamental football. Ole Miss, which is a complete opposite of us, limped out with a win. What's their excuse for say....the last 25-years?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
With all do respect.....this attitude is the problem. We need to stop with the excuses when we can't play fundamental football. Ole Miss, which is a complete opposite of us, limped out with a win. What's their excuse for say....the last 25-years?

Uh awful coaching...Ole Miss should be a easy school to win at...SEC, No academics, Women, The Grove, etc. 18 year old kids love those things.

Ole Miss is loading up on talent now as they should have been for awhile now.

Just look at Kentucky's class this year.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Ole Miss is a prime example that success often comes with a different coach. Hugh Freeze did not get a great recruiting class because the school was Ole Miss, it was because the players were attracted to his characteristics and offers. Of course, he is a relative new coach, so we don't know what else is behind the scenes, but it was his attraction and offers that brought in the recruits.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Kentucky has a good class but I don't think it's going to change that program into a winning one. Ole miss has always had decent talent and a pretty good football tradition. They had a great class last year and Getting Nkendiche to come play with his brother set off a snow ball effect with the other good recruits that ended up signing with them. Our 07 class was a bunch of good talent that wanted to play together. I remember Kyle Jackson constantly texting guys saying lets build something special here.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Just want to throw a question out there.

As a "sidewalk" fan of better than 40 years and a season ticket holder for better than 25 years I have always felt welcomed and appreciate by other Tech supporters, both alums and other "sidewalk" fans. Is the a perception or an attitude that folks like me aren't welcomed or "true" fans?)
OJF - I think Liberty and RK summed it up well. Some folks on other boards have pooh poohed non-GT grads as not being able to be true fans.
Those folks are overly narrow minded and most likely don't appreciate many things in their life experience. ( maybe I'm a bit narrow minded with that comment...;))

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
Uh awful coaching...Ole Miss should be a easy school to win at...SEC, No academics, Women, The Grove, etc. 18 year old kids love those things.

Ole Miss is loading up on talent now as they should have been for awhile now.

Just look at Kentucky's class this year.

What does Kentucky's recruiting class have to do with anything? The point is we are not Ole Miss/Kentucky, etc. and shouldn't strive to be.

As I said in my intro, a defeatist mentality and excuse making gets us nowhere. We've won big before at Tech and can do it again.....with integrity.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Sidewalk fan here and I've been treated unfairly because I didn't go to Tech by a certain board. Was kicked off the board because I ran into David Pollack at the local mall and proudly told him I was a Tech fan. He told me Tech wasn't going to do anything as long as Johnson was here. I told the guys some of the things he said and they banned me from the board.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Sidewalk fan here and I've been treated unfairly because I didn't go to Tech by a certain board. Was kicked off the board because I ran into David Pollack at the local mall and proudly told him I was a Tech fan. He told me Tech wasn't going to do anything as long as Johnson was here. I told the guys some of the things he said and they banned me from the board.

Unreal, sounds like you're better off being here! ;)

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

FACT 1: We have internal issues/restrictions that make it way harder to have a very successful football program. These problems stem from many things including self inflicted ones by the academic arm of our school.

FACT 2: Coaching is a problem

Fixing #2 is a lot easier than #1. #2 is still really difficult though...

If coaching is fixed and you win a couple of more games each year it helps with some things with the issues that I discussed. However, the hurdles this program has to overcome is too high for just a really good football coach to fix. Nick Saban couldn't fix our issues. Only the academic arm..They have to decide if they want to play big boy football and change some things.

FACT #3 My attitude has a purpose. It is not just a temper tantrum or negative jibber jabber lol. The school needs to have boosters,alumni,fans, former players, and others convince them that they need to back this program up with everything they have because it is worth it...They need to look at Alabama if they want to see what the fruit looks like...

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What does Kentucky's recruiting class have to do with anything? The point is we are not Ole Miss/Kentucky, etc. and shouldn't strive to be.

As I said in my intro, a defeatist mentality and excuse making gets us nowhere. We've won big before at Tech and can do it again.....with integrity.
You are saying these things like we play on the field....

We are not giving up on GT. I know Eric isn't and I know I am not.

I think we are voicing our opinions on how the program is handicapped with a coach who is not coaching well. Both need to be fixed but one is a bigger problem than the other. Coaches come and go but things like the Hill,Russel Athletic, lack of money, lack of support, lack of marketing, small pool of majors to choose from, ect have been going on for a long time. Sure some coaches have had success but they had to bust their tail way more than a Coach at Ole Miss would have to and get paid less usually. CPJ gets paid pretty nicely though since he is the OC.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

FACT 1: We have internal issues/restrictions that make it way harder to have a very successful football program. These problems stem from many things including self inflicted ones by the academic arm of our school.

FACT 2: Coaching is a problem

Fixing #2 is a lot easier than #1. #2 is still really difficult though...

If coaching is fixed and you win a couple of more games each year it helps with some things with the issues that I discussed. However, the hurdles this program has to overcome is too high for just a really good football coach to fix. Nick Saban couldn't fix our issues. Only the academic arm..They have to decide if they want to play big boy football and change some things.

FACT #3 My attitude has a purpose. It is not just a temper tantrum or negative jibber jabber lol. The school needs to have boosters,alumni,fans, former players, and others convince them that they need to back this program up with everything they have because it is worth it...They need to look at Alabama if they want to see what the fruit looks like...

Is it worth it, though? How has Alabama's success furthered their academic mission? Even if it can be shown to be positive, is it reasonable to expect that we could ever achieve a consistent level of success simply by leveling the playing field?

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Is it worth it, though? How has Alabama's success furthered their academic mission? Even if it can be shown to be positive, is it reasonable to expect that we could ever achieve a consistent level of success simply by leveling the playing field?
Look at their P&L for Athletics and you will see how much it has helped. Also, their Brand is sky rocketing while academics are improving.

We can achieve success with better coaching then all of the other things that we are lacking in my original post...It is not just about the Hill and majors. There are numerous factors including winning more games.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
PSJ...thoughtful comments and I am glad to know it matters to you. It matters to me too.

The way the big guys run their programs is exactly what is wrong with major college football IMHO. We're not going to change this, but can control how we do business.

My comments are not practice field banter. As with any business, attitude matters. Try being successful without it, it doesn't work. I unfortunately know this from experience.

I trust you are trying to be objective, but we have to overcome the whining and/or mediocrity accepting attitude so many Tech football fans have.

Our way is not nor should be the way of the SEC teams or other football at all cost schools, where the term student-athlete is a true misnomer. We serve a bigger mission.

Where we do agree is our offense does not benefit recruiting, regardless if it is schematically sound. If CPJ can't evolve, then it's time to move on. Regardless of what anyone says, there are always alternatives.

Now I'm off my soap box and look forward to further discussions.