Program has bigger problems

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I really think that fans like myself need to start supporting GT more financially and vocally. Try to get involved especially if you are a season ticket owner.

But even then the ultimate powers at GT need to start channeling money to this program and placing a higher importance on it.

I am worried that if we don't start fixing this stuff soon we will be too far behind to catch up because CFB is evolving fast and we are struggling to adapt.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I understand the constraints but again how are we recruiting. How are they working within those constraints do they look at them as obstacles or embrace them?

What is the current strategy??

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I really think that fans like myself need to start supporting GT more financially and vocally. Try to get involved especially if you are a season ticket owner.

But even then the ultimate powers at GT need to start channeling money to this program and placing a higher importance on it.

I am worried that if we don't start fixing this stuff soon we will be too far behind to catch up because CFB is evolving fast and we are struggling to adapt.

This IS true Stanford's Athletic Program has it's own endowment hell each kid has an endowment. It's all about attitude and they are very progressive.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I understand the constraints but again how are we recruiting. How are they working within those constraints do they look at them as obstacles or embrace them?

What is the current strategy??
Good questions...That is the situation so if they cannot control it then do your best right?

I agree. I think we did a wayyy better job this year. We signed guys way faster with many good backup plans in place if players start to bolt like last year. We will not have to run around with our heads cut off looking for a replacement.

The thing that the recruiting staff is supposed to help with is getting on recruits much much earlier. For example, Alabama or Aburn knows about Carrolton HS's freshman and sophomores when we find out about them during there Junior year. We start out already behind. The recruiting staff is supposed to help us identify players early and begin contact/relationships earlier.

This will be tremendous. I think CPJ needs to trim the fat off the team to allow him to recruit larger classes. For example, kids who are 5th year seniors and not contributing.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This IS true Stanford's Athletic Program has it's own endowment hell each kid has an endowment. It's all about attitude and they are very progressive.

Good point. I cringe when people bring up the GT v Stan stuff but never address differences like what you mention.

Mbob should trip to Palo Alto for tips just like CPJ needs to pay a visit to Auburn.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
The program just seems to be destined mediocracy. We win the title in 90 and two years later we suck. Win a ACC title and play in the orange bowl and the next year go 6-7 I believe. Why can't we ever build on exceptional seasons?

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
The one and only way (there is no other way) for better financing and attendance is winning. There is no CEO or person wishing to invest their money that would buy into a market fund if it was mediocre or a poor fund. I can assure you fans will come from all four corners to support GT football when they start winning and continue to win. You will have people from all over chasing the band wagon trying to jump on it. Even the AJC and all other papers and media will be backing GT if it ever starts winning again. The media wants to sell its papers and win more advertisers. and they can only do this from interested readers and listeners. They will not support a loser or mediocrity.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I think the biggest hurdle we need to reach is getting close to the High School Coaches that are outside of the fifty or so miles of Atlanta.We were lucky to get Barry Bostic and Crenshaw schollies but no one has signed it seems south of Macon.I have said it before in the seventies the tech coaches only came down to hunt birds and Barry Wilson a good Georgie coach would vistit my school once a month..We need to get back to basics and ask the hard questions like "Coach you have anybody who wants to play for us? Or the kid you are pushing for us to sign is he able to pass ? You have to have a great relationship with the coaches to get the answers you need to recruit.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
"Coach you have anybody who wants to play for us?

Mack, who's to say we aren't asking this question. The answer we get in most of Georgia is "No". We aren't liked as a program by the teachers, coaches, and students. It's not just athletes. Our perception in our home state is one of contempt and dislike, whereas you ask someone in pretty much every other region and they have a positive perception of the school. It's sad, but it's the state of affairs that Georgia Tech just isn't the "cool" thing. I was hopeful when CPJ came in and said we were going to recruit the state hard, because I thought it would change the perception. Unfortunately, I don't think it's a successful strategy for us because we are viewed by athletes in our own state as a less desirable option than Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Clemson, FSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Kentucky and Vandy. We're viewed on the same level of desirability as UCF if not worse. Part of this we have control over and part of it is the inevitable conclusion of the ESECPN mentality that's so prevalent here in the southeast.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think the biggest hurdle we need to reach is getting close to the High School Coaches that are outside of the fifty or so miles of Atlanta.We were lucky to get Barry Bostic and Crenshaw schollies but no one has signed it seems south of Macon.I have said it before in the seventies the tech coaches only came down to hunt birds and Barry Wilson a good Georgie coach would vistit my school once a month..We need to get back to basics and ask the hard questions like "Coach you have anybody who wants to play for us? Or the kid you are pushing for us to sign is he able to pass ? You have to have a great relationship with the coaches to get the answers you need to recruit.

One player shouldn't buck the whole theory, but Tre Jackson is coming in from Valdosta. Not sure how Tre was engaged in the recruiting process. Maybe @DaddyBill can shed some light.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
Mack, who's to say we aren't asking this question. The answer we get in most of Georgia is "No". We aren't liked as a program by the teachers, coaches, and students. It's not just athletes. Our perception in our home state is one of contempt and dislike, whereas you ask someone in pretty much every other region and they have a positive perception of the school. It's sad, but it's the state of affairs that Georgia Tech just isn't the "cool" thing. I was hopeful when CPJ came in and said we were going to recruit the state hard, because I thought it would change the perception. Unfortunately, I don't think it's a successful strategy for us because we are viewed by athletes in our own state as a less desirable option than Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Clemson, FSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Kentucky and Vandy. We're viewed on the same level of desirability as UCF if not worse. Part of this we have control over and part of it is the inevitable conclusion of the ESECPN mentality that's so prevalent here in the southeast.

I agree that Georgia Tech might not be the University or Institute of choice but as a salesman for the GT, CPJ is a salesman and so is his staff, they need to keep going after kids/ schools. I work in sales and if I had stopped the first time someone told me no thanks, or fat chance I wouldn't have a job. Persistence is key and having a good product. You never know when uGA might pull a scholarship for an injury and we have a chance to take that kid. If we can get some more success on the field it changes the perception of GT to others. First things first is beating uGA. It is hard to sell something when the guy down the street has a better product. You have got to beat uGA.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Where did I say that? I said half the guys that claim offers can't get in. For example look at Mike Rogers.

Just because a guy says he has a offer doesn't mean it's true.
If I recall correctly, the school basically can't say squat about the kids they are looking at much less comment that they made an offer to the kid(s) unless the kid has signed the LOI or has enrolled at the school. The kids can claim whatever they want.

gtdrew

Banned
The state of high school academics in georgia can't be understated, either. You can't recruit kids who can't get in. Why waste your time recruiting South Georgia, which isn't the hotbed it used to be, when the public schools there are terrible? I dig the new recruiting strategy of hitting the whole country. If the kids from the catholic leagues in Cincy and maryland are the kids who can get in and make a difference, then that's where gt should be pounding. The vast majority of the population doesn't give a crap where the kids on their team come from, and anyone who roots for a team based on where its members are from is completely missing the point...

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Without changes to admission standards, I don't see how. The good news is, I feel like Bobinski is willing to fight that battle. Braine and Radakovich weren't.

The problem isn't Bobinski. The problem is the school president. So far, he has caved to every argument on the side of academia over athletics since he has been with Tech.
And, for the record, Radakovich DID initially try to go that route and the president of the school not only shot him down, he did so in a way to publicly embarass him in front of many others in a meeting. It was at that point that Radakovich began listening to other offers.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
If I recall correctly, the school basically can't say squat about the kids they are looking at much less comment that they made an offer to the kid(s) unless the kid has signed the LOI or has enrolled at the school. The kids can claim whatever they want.
That is true unless they sign one of the new non-binding LOI's prior to their senior year. It just started this year and UGA, Alabama, LSU and several others are already using it. It allows the school/coaches to talk about the players publicly as well as have no limits on the amount of contact they can have with the player.

However, the LOI is not binding and the player may freely choose to sign a LOI with another school in February of their senior year.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
[quote="LibertyTurns, post: 22229, member: 789"Stanford is a private school. They don't have the kind of BOR/self-imposed restrictions GT has to deal with. I'm sure Bobinski would love to have their situation at GT.[/quote]

Its harder to get into Stanford than Tech. The difference is the amount of money and the attitude they take towards recruiting. Its actually interesting read up on it.