Preview of offense

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
While it is for sure true we need all the A-backs and B-backs we can get in 2015, there is a glut of backs for 2016, 2017, and even 2018. Next year we add Weimerskirch, Benson, Green, Mills, and Gantt to some high potential freshmen like Cottrell, M Marshall, T Marshall, Jarrett, and L-Davis and existing backs Allen, Willis, Searcy, and Lynch. That's 14 backs (12 if we RS Mills and Gantt) for 3 positions (4+ deep with McClellan). I could see considering moving some backs to other positions such as T Marshall and Searcy (defense) or Lynch and Benson (WR) after the 2015 season. No one knows until we get through Fall Camp how the performance and injuries play out. Good news is we have lots of talent and many options. We are successfully reloading at the running back positions. Now on to the OLine.

While it is for sure true we need all the A-backs and B-backs we can get in 2015, there is a glut of backs for 2016, 2017, and even 2018. Next year we add Weimerskirch, Benson, Green, Mills, and Gantt to some high potential freshmen like Cottrell, M Marshall, T Marshall, Jarrett, and L-Davis and existing backs Allen, Willis, Searcy, and Lynch. That's 14 backs (12 if we RS Mills and Gantt) for 3 positions (4+ deep with McClellan). I could see considering moving some backs to other positions such as T Marshall and Searcy (defense) or Lynch and Benson (WR) after the 2015 season. No one knows until we get through Fall Camp how the performance and injuries play out. Good news is we have lots of talent and many options. We are successfully reloading at the running back positions. Now on to the OLine.
Benson at Wr with his height at 5'8?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I would venture to say, without looking at any tape, that none of the A back candidates has ever practiced cut blocking on the edge. It is one of the most difficult skills to teach, learn and execute in football. We all know what a good A back core we had in 2014, but if you get some time and have it, cue up your VCR and watch FSY and MSU. Big, gashing cuts off tackle and end, a lot of rushing yards on the perimeter. Now, with all that, look at how many times we had backs blown up on the edge, and I mean blown up, because the A back missed his block. A lot. And these guys were good, but it is the nature of trying to block outstanding athletes in open space. They are as good at what they do as the backs in what they do. So I don't care about yards and scores, but the blocking. Not a lot of freshmen at GT have been good at that. That will decide the season.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Skeptic I agree that freshman may/will have issues/to learn blocking on the edge. I will say I was impressed with Lynch and Ike's ability to block on the edge.

Nathan plays mean and I am hoping that translates in edge blocking.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes defenders make plays. BJ didn't have his best games blocking vs FSU and MissSt, but I think that speaks to him and the defenders and not how long it takes to learn the skill. Blocks will be missed, probably more this year given the number of new guys. However, Embry was able to make solid blocks vs Miami as a true freshman.

As people keep raising this question, I'll keep repeating that we have several guys who've been learning this position and blocks longer than Roddy and Lucas had before 2008. With a better, deeper more experienced line and more experienced QB, we should be fine. Our biggest problems in 2008 arose from a patchwork OL and a less than 100% QB.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
As I've said blocking is as much about want to as technique. You can teach technique, you can't teach want to! Every one of these freshmen KNOW they won't see the field without giving 100% in their blocking assignments. Will there missed blocks? Of course. You're going to have regardless of the experience level. That's a given but I'd rather have a few missed blocks with the backs working hard than missed blocks due to lack of effort!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Nice point. The wide open competition is bound to create some very earnest and dedicated blockers.
Nobody argues they would give any less effort, and not just to see playing time. I assume as scholarship athletes they are competitors and see everything as a challenge. My point is that cut blocking on the edge, at speed, in space, is very hard because a whole bunch of stuff has to fall into place -- effort being part of but only a part -- and the guy you're supposed to throw down on just won't cooperate because he wants playing time as much as you do. Experienced 4th year and 5th year players miss the things, as amply reflected in the MSU and FSU games. They will miss, good athletes wearing different colors will defeat them, as they are also taught to do, stuff happens, and after 60 minutes, one hopes successes outnumber failures.

So, sure. Effort is a given. Effect is learned. A former Atlanta pitching coach to three Hall of Famers noted that "The best teacher is innings." Here, the best teacher is experience, the same thing. This is not a clarion call of alarm, just of caution. Remember: the only A back returning with this experience took two years to see the field because he couldn't block.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm also concerned about edge blocking from this young group. While it won't matter against "inferior" teams, it will make and break us against ugag, fsu and clemson. I hope to heck this young group can handle it, but I think the attitude here is much too cavalier. My only confidence comes from our walkons, who by nature have to be at max effort and have experience. All I can say is that I doubt we'll see many of the freshman on the field in critical situations. I hope I'm wrong, but edge blocking is the difference between a 3 yard gain and a 5 yard loss. In this offense, especially with new WRs, we will not be able to covert 3&10+ with any consistency.

With that in mind, this is going to be an average(for CPJ) year on offense. We have to have a defense that is dominating in order to survive. I'm most worried about our first 6 games, I think we'll be able to figure it out by game 5,6,7. That makes me confident for Ugag, but not for ND, Clem or UNC.

We shall see. I hope i'm wrong and Nate and company dominate the edge. And ow lawd, don't let anyone get injured.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Godhigh! Look at Benson's HS tape as a receiver.

I am confused. Godhigh was a AB not a WR and never once split wide like a WR (not an AB widening to the slot due to one of our formations where any AB goes to the slot. I am talking true wr alignment.) Did he catch some nice balls over the middle on seam routes and fake arc block routes....yes. But that is not a wr wide. Its not eve close to the same things we ask our we to do. I dont know how pointing out godhigh backs up the point. I also dont see benson ever at WR. If he is 6 foot maybe. If he is 5-8 not in our system. I cant recall one WR in pauls system he recruited under 6-2 really. I think summmers is the shortest at 6-0 or 6-1.

AB are more apt to move to db before wr imo

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Your last sentence is more of an indictment on that player than the length of time it takes to learn how to block.
Actually it is not intended as an "indictment" of either. Just as a caution about the excessive optimism about a group of athletes that needs a bit of tamping down because cut blocking is grunt work, and art, and science, all in one. It will take time. Some will be better. Some will be worse.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Benson will never be placed at WR for tech but if that's something you want to believe , than will go with that.
I think you missed my point. We have an abundance of young running back talent, and if they all pan out in their eligibility time there will not be enough playing time to best utilize the talent in the most efficient manner for the team. Therefore some players, based on how things play out, may find themselves at another position. I just offered some what ifs. It will probably play out differently as to who changes positions, but likely some players will necessarily move, just based on the roster numbers. I agree, of the four players I mentioned, Benson is the least likely to move positions, but he does have the skills in spite of his height.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I am confused. Godhigh was a AB not a WR and never once split wide like a WR (not an AB widening to the slot due to one of our formations where any AB goes to the slot. I am talking true wr alignment.) Did he catch some nice balls over the middle on seam routes and fake arc block routes....yes. But that is not a wr wide. Its not eve close to the same things we ask our we to do. I dont know how pointing out godhigh backs up the point. I also dont see benson ever at WR. If he is 6 foot maybe. If he is 5-8 not in our system. I cant recall one WR in pauls system he recruited under 6-2 really. I think summmers is the shortest at 6-0 or 6-1.

AB are more apt to move to db before wr imo

See post #18. My point was not about Benson or Godhigh per se. The point got derailed about a WR player's height. But on the subject of player's height: There are too many examples of very successful "short players" at every position to make height a litmus test. GT has a 100+ year history and long list of excellent "short players" at many positions, including receivers. For our offense I would rate for WR (1) body, willing, and ability to block, (2) ability to catch, (3) speed for deep threat or route running, and (4)height is here or further down the list. We certainly would not throw our goal line fade to a 5' 8" receiver but we would sure use a skilled one to help get us to the red zone.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Actually it is not intended as an "indictment" of either. Just as a caution about the excessive optimism about a group of athletes that needs a bit of tamping down because cut blocking is grunt work, and art, and science, all in one. It will take time. Some will be better. Some will be worse.
Exactly. Especially when it took the last crew 5 years to get good at it.