Pressley Harvin Positive NFL Draft Article

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
The fact he wasn't drafted today shows me the NFL didn't watch him play enough.

Punters never ever go in the first round. There are two more days of the draft
In a quick search, there have only been 2 punters selected in the first round ever, Ray Guy being one of them. About 60-ish kickers (PK and punters) taken in the draft over a 15 year period 2001-2015. The average top punter has an NFL grade that nets them around a 5th or 6th round pick typically, so that typically only a couple get drafted while the rest get invites to camp(s).

slugboy

Staff member
Punters never ever go in the first round. There are two more days of the draft
Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch got mocked for (I think??) trading up in the 4th round to get a punter a couple of years ago. They ended up cutting the punter.
So, day #1 would be amazing.

slugboy

Staff member
ESPN has three (!) punters listed above him, which is complete BS. https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/bestavailable/_/position/p

Looking through the Best Available, I don't see any other Tech players listed, not even Camp. I even see ones from Duke, Wake Forest, but not Tech. And people wonder why we only win 3 games a year.
Duke had a tremendous senior DE this year, and he’s way towards the end of the draft. It’s amazing.

Harvin is getting underrated. He will get picked up, and someone will be really happy.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
ESPN has three (!) punters listed above him, which is complete BS. https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/bestavailable/_/position/p

Looking through the Best Available, I don't see any other Tech players listed, not even Camp. I even see ones from Duke, Wake Forest, but not Tech. And people wonder why we only win 3 games a year.
I was actually about to post that! Not only did he win the award for best punter in the nation this year but the 3 guys they have above him didn't even make the top 10 semifinals list for the Ray Guy award! That is just purely disrespectful!!!

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Apparently dwags rarely go in the first round either. It’s amazing the sheer breadth and depth of talent they have on their roster and how so little ever comes from it.
Mullen just got some good recruiting ammo to use against Kirby. Georgie gets a ridiculous amount of talent, and Saban and Mullen just mopped the floor with his team on the field and in the draft (so far).

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I saw a full mock somewhere that had Jalen going 6th round. I think he'll get picked after the Pro Day, etc

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Duke had a tremendous senior DE this year, and he’s way towards the end of the draft. It’s amazing.

Harvin is getting underrated. He will get picked up, and someone will be really happy.

Harvin is being rated the way he is because NFL punters often handle kickoffs and harvin did not do that in college.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch got mocked for (I think??) trading up in the 4th round to get a punter a couple of years ago. They ended up cutting the punter.
So, day #1 would be amazing.

I'm not sure who you're thinking because this isn't right. They drafted Bradley Pinion in the 5th round of the 2015 draft and he was the team's punter for four years and was solid. They let him walk in free agency because they didn't want to pay him and drafted Mitch Wishnowsky in the 4th round of the 2019 draft and he's still on the team as the punter. Wishnowsky has also been solid. They didn't trade up for either guy. I believe they traded down before selecting each of them.