President Peterson has announced his retirement

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
It would be interesting to have a President with the attitude of the University of Houston President:

“Just read what Houston president Renu Khator says about the stakes at UH:

‘The winning is defined at University of Houston as 10 and 2," she told faculty and staff at the annual holiday party at her home. "We'll fire coaches at 8 and 4.’”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They have some jackhole billionaire donor driving that. Also UH is a joke school academically, come on.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if his retirement freed up some cash that helped Coach Collins hire his great coaching staff?

It can't. GT and the GT Athletic Association are different entities. GT is limited on how much money it can provide to the GTAA. The GTAA basically has to provide it's own revenue(from tickets, donations, licensing which includes the revenue from the ACC, etc.).

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
They have some jackhole billionaire donor driving that. Also UH is a joke school academically, come on.

You may be right, I don't know. I wasn't speaking to UH's academic standing. I just thought it was refreshing to hear a school president who seemed to really care about how the football team does.

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
Search committee announced... https://www.usg.edu/news/release/georgia_tech_presidential_search_committee_named1

Several of the Regents that are on committee have GT background including the chair. Looks like only 1 GTAA representative.

Only one GTAA rep, but John Brock III is there. He's donated to both academics and has the indoor practice facility named after him. You've also got Charles Isbell Jr. who is the campus faculty athletics representative and is also on the Alexander-Tharpe board of directors. I'd count that as a minimum of three atheltics reps, only one being official though.

Search committee announced... https://www.usg.edu/news/release/georgia_tech_presidential_search_committee_named1

Several of the Regents that are on committee have GT background including the chair. Looks like only 1 GTAA representative.
That's probably enough, plus there are the other 2 that GT14 mentioned. Obviously we need athletics-friendly committee members, but remember, Tech is first and foremost an institute of higher learning, and research, so those on the committee should be primarily focused on that. What bothers me is the number of regents on the committee, since the regents are all political appointees. Unless they ALL have some kind of Tech-specific or science and research related expertise, then why are they there?

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
That's probably enough, plus there are the other 2 that GT14 mentioned. Obviously we need athletics-friendly committee members, but remember, Tech is first and foremost an institute of higher learning, and research, so those on the committee should be primarily focused on that. What bothers me is the number of regents on the committee, since the regents are all political appointees. Unless they ALL have some kind of Tech-specific or science and research related expertise, then why are they there?

At the end of the day, the GT president reports to the board of regents. They're the board of bosses basically, so I'm somewhat surprised there are so few regents on the search committee seeing as they're the ones actually making the hire (from my understanding).

Animal02

Banned
The representation is pretty typical for that level of a search committee.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
At the end of the day, the GT president reports to the board of regents. They're the board of bosses basically, so I'm somewhat surprised there are so few regents on the search committee seeing as they're the ones actually making the hire (from my understanding).
Process is spelled out in policy - https://www.usg.edu/policymanual/section2/C307

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Someone needs to start a petition protesting Thomas Rogers Wade's inclusion. All the other Regents are either Tech Grads, Tarbutton, (committee chair), Alford, Shailendra. Or graduated (undergrad) from out of state schools though Waters and Marsh do have uga law degrees.

But, Wade is a UGA Frat boy. AJC reported (implied) him being behind the scenes of the Richt firing/Smart hiring. He's also closely connected with the Uga "School" of Engineering. He hates Tech. Absolutely completely unacceptable as a member of a committee that will determine the direction of GT's future.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Someone needs to start a petition protesting Thomas Rogers Wade's inclusion. All the other Regents are either Tech Grads, Tarbutton, (committee chair), Alford, Shailendra. Or graduated (undergrad) from out of state schools though Waters and Marsh do have uga law degrees.

But, Wade is a UGA Frat boy. AJC reported (implied) him being behind the scenes of the Richt firing/Smart hiring. He's also closely connected with the Uga "School" of Engineering. He hates Tech. Absolutely completely unacceptable as a member of a committee that will determine the direction of GT's future.
There absolutely needs to be more of a stink about this. And possibly eggings.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I'm not worried about the Board of Regents bringing in someone that will be detrimental to Tech. Bottom line is that GT is the crown jewel in the Georgia University System and every regent knows that. He may not like Tech, but to diminish Tech is to lessen his own prestige. That's not going to happen. Plus, he's just one voice in the discussion, and the Chair is a Tech guy. Not worried at all.

I'd love to see another president like Crecine. For all of his foibles and idiosyncrasies, he created the College of Liberal Arts, which significantly helped football recruiting, and was a huge supporter of GTAA and our sports programs. He pissed a lot of people off because it was his ball, and if you wanted to play, you had to play by his rules. Right or wrong, he was also instrumental in Tech being the Olympic Village and initiated the growth explosion on campus.