Preseason Depth Chart

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Well, that's the thing about being a second hand fan.

I root for Georgia Tech in my head, I root for UVA in my heart.

During a Georgia Tech game I analyze the game. During a UVA game I I suffer.

I know what it's like for you guys. When Georgia Tech loses it's like a gut-punch, and when Georgia Tech wins all you feel is relief.

Yeah, the Highs are higher when it's a team you love, but the lows are lower too.

Georgia Tech is fun for me, and to paraphrase Danny Ocean's wife, they don't make me cry.

I have wept over UVA football. Georgia Tech was involved.

You are SO dead on with this

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I was struck by the size of our defensive backs. The average weight of the 8 db's on the depth chart is 199 lbs. I looked it up, and found that the average FBS db weighs in at 189.

Other FBS averages are...

LB - 223 (we average 220, including the ILB, STGR and JACK)

DL - 270 (our average is 275)

OL - 297 (our average is 286)

WR - 190 (our average is 201)

QB - 207 (our average is 198)

RB - 202 (our average is 192)

These numbers are from the "Next College Student Athlete" website and were supposedly compiled from the last 5 years of rosters.

I know they're just statistics, but kind of interesting. Overall, we're just about average. Heavier at DB, DL (!), and WR, and lighter at OL, QB, and RB. About average at LB.

So, the defense is a bit heavier than average, and the offense is on the light side, overall. FWIW.
And our O calls for lighter OL’s.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
roofing_shingles_replacement.png
Nice roof, lifetime weathered wood shingle with cobra iii on the ridge. Missing drip edge though.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Nice roof, lifetime weathered wood shingle with cobra iii on the ridge. Missing drip edge though.
Another response that could only occur on a Tech board. The dwag fan response would have been “never lived in a place that had rooffs before, Wunder why they don’t have them on double-wides. If they did I would want mine to be red.”

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I was expecting Defoor to be listed in the two deep, where are we expecting him to be on the Oline?
Probably waiting until the NCAA decides if he can play this year. I heard he might start at guard might move out to tackle depending. Guard looks like his more natural position in this offense but who knows.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
And our O calls for lighter OL’s.

Indeed. From these weights one can see how our ground game offense focuses on quickness and speed. The WR's are a little heavier than average, perhaps because they are primarily blockers.

I hope our DB's are fast enough. If they are, they should be a big asset to the defense at these weights. They'll likely outweigh most of the receivers they cover by about 10 pounds.

And I hope Xavier Gantt gets on the field at A back. He's up to 170 now, just 4 pounds lighter than Searcy. The guy's quick as a cat.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’d like to see Howard and Benson split reps fairly evenly. Keep them fresh, opposing Ds will hate them in Q4.

I agree we need some improvement at WR. I think the starters can make plays but I’m not confident any are game breakers. Those plays more likely to come from our ABs imo. Not saying WR isca glaring weakness, just not dominant and we need big time plays from our WRs.

I’m more worried about our D than our O. Only confident in our ILBs and one DE. Everything else is a big ?

We are in good hands with our punter. I’m praying for just respectable on kickoffs and field goals.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I’d like to see Howard and Benson split reps fairly evenly. Keep them fresh, opposing Ds will hate them in Q4.

I agree we need some improvement at WR. I think the starters can make plays but I’m not confident any are game breakers. Those plays more likely to come from our ABs imo. Not saying WR isca glaring weakness, just not dominant and we need big time plays from our WRs.

I’m more worried about our D than our O. Only confident in our ILBs and one DE. Everything else is a big ?

We are in good hands with our punter. I’m praying for just respectable on kickoffs and field goals.
I want to see a 70-30 split between Benson and Howard. I would also like to see us use a jumbo package near the goal line and put in Benson, Howard, and Mason.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Benson rushed for over 1000 yards in roughly 10 games of work. What part of his game worries you? By the way CPJ says he is the fastest B-back we have ever had.

I’m glad we have both guys. They each bring different strengths. Howard for instance hits the hole faster and has more agility imo.

Milwaukee

Banned
Benson rushed for over 1000 yards in roughly 10 games of work. What part of his game worries you? By the way CPJ says he is the fastest B-back we have ever had.

Benson is a safe bet, Howard's just on another planet. Kid is a beast.
As far as the yards last season, that position will do that. What do you think Mills would've done with those touches?

As far as the yards last season, that position will do that. What do you think Mills would've done with those touches?
Mills might have done the same but with fewer long runs. Marcus Marshall though might have had about 200 more yards.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Benson is a "safe bet" and Howard is a "beast", but I imagine the reason Benson starts over Howard is the ball security issue. Benson had his own problems with this early last year, but cleaned them up in the second half. I don't know the stats, but it seems I remember Howard having more problems with, um, the "f" word.