Pre-season thread Reprise

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
https://gtswarm.com/threads/countdown-to-opening-day.17244/
I was entertained reading through this old thread from prior to season. Some highlights:
1) Note to group... we should pay attention to @THWG ...he was unbelievably optimistic AND correct. It's everywhere in his posts.
2) LOL... in the most ironic category... @GTNavyNuke went on record predicting Serratos would be THE returning player to a breakout season.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I was entertained reading through this old thread from prior to season. Some highlights:
1) Note to group... we should pay attention to @THWG ...he was unbelievably optimistic AND correct. It's everywhere in his posts.
2) LOL... in the most ironic category... @GTNavyNuke went on record predicting Serratos would be THE returning player to a breakout season.
We are just simply too talented and too experienced to not have had this type of season. I'm expecting a similar season next year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

That will teach you to listen to me. Third base was our weak link in the infield most in need of improvement.

I promise to stop being so optimistic .:confused:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was at the dump on my cell phone when I responded. Had to go back and see what I said:

"Nick Wilhite had a .302 BA (115 AB) in Sun Belt over the summer. If he is even close to that BA this season, he should be permanent in CF. (IMHO)

Again, the infield is the concern. Serratos had a fielding % of .865 and 12 errors last year; Waddell .903 and 9 errors and Austin .951 and 12 errors. Serratos and Waddell have to field better for us to go very far in (or even to) the NCAAs. They both played summer ball and hopefully have gotten better ..... I don't know the positions they played in the summer but they did bat a lot.
"

Nick is my hero this year. Waddell is now a highlight real. With Serratos, I feel like I was jilted.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I was at the dump on my cell phone when I responded. Had to go back and see what I said:

"Nick Wilhite had a .302 BA (115 AB) in Sun Belt over the summer. If he is even close to that BA this season, he should be permanent in CF. (IMHO)

Again, the infield is the concern. Serratos had a fielding % of .865 and 12 errors last year; Waddell .903 and 9 errors and Austin .951 and 12 errors. Serratos and Waddell have to field better for us to go very far in (or even to) the NCAAs. They both played summer ball and hopefully have gotten better ..... I don't know the positions they played in the summer but they did bat a lot.
"

Nick is my hero this year. Waddell is now a highlight real. With Serratos, I feel like I was jilted.

Maybe you were just a year early and he'll be the breakout star next year to help propel THWG's prediction.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
We are just simply too talented and too experienced to not have had this type of season. I'm expecting a similar season next year.

This is where I was at before the season started. I've never been as down as it seems like everyone else is on CDH but it was a definitely a put up or shut up type of year for me. If you can't make some kind of noise, barring injury, with this roster then it's probably time to move on. I think it's safe to say we've made some noise.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
This is where I was at before the season started. I've never been as down as it seems like everyone else is on CDH but it was a definitely a put up or shut up type of year for me. If you can't make some kind of noise, barring injury, with this roster then it's probably time to move on. I think it's safe to say we've made some noise.

I agree. And we've had some injuries as well. Archer out to start the year. Waddell with an early injury that he thankfully came back from. Chase in March against Miami, just recently starting to get back. Curry and Hurter in the last month or so with Hurter now out for the year. Mannelly, who seemed to be pitching well, but, if I recall correctly, had been seen in an arm sling earlier in the season and hasn't pitched since. English with a limit on his innings pitched and then multiple HBP off his hands/wrists.

I may have missed some, but we certainly have had injuries this year. But our kids keep the NEXT MAN UP attitude and keep winning!