Pre-Game Pump Up

Mitch Brown

Georgia Tech Fan
Hey guys.

At the beginning of each game held at Bobby Dodd Stadium, the Athletic Association plays the highlight video showing great plays from years past on the big screen in the south endzone. Along with it, "Zombie Nation" is played, and the students jump up and down for the whole montage, which can sometimes seem like an eternity. Do ya'll enjoy that song, or do you have another idea for the introduction before the players come out of the tunnel behind the Reck?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Do ya'll enjoy that song, or do you have another idea for the introduction before the players come out of the tunnel behind the Reck?
I don't mind the song. I do like it when everyone jumps up and down; I only wish that when I'm old and decrepit, I'll still be able to do that.

Are you asking because you have some type of influence over that?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I do not like the song anymore. It had its place years ago but now it's outdated, unoriginal, and played far too long with that video. Combine that with the fact that the student section usually hasn't filled in makes our stadium energy look a little pathetic. I was in a fraternity and wished the rest of the fraternity blocks didn't act too cool for it, but (to steal a CPJ phrase) it is what it is.

Mitch Brown

Georgia Tech Fan
I have some influence over it. I don't have direct access to the Athletic Association, but as a part of The Ramblin' Reck Club, we present ideas to try to help the energy at school events, and this was just one of the things that we thought would be a possibility to change.

Yes, it is what it is, but if we came up with a different song, one that would get people to jump up and down, fraternity or not, it would really get the beginning of games going much better.

Really, if y'all have any ideas about how to increase school spirit in any aspect on campus, tag me in your post or send me a message. I can present the idea to the club and see what kind of action we can take on it.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if my post came across as such, but I completely agree it needs to change. I know my opinion might conflict with the old guard, but I'd say the video needs to be shorter too. As far as the song just go with whatever is trendy that the players/students like.

Mitch Brown

Georgia Tech Fan
Ya we agreed in one of our meetings that the video feels like it lasts an eternity. I know I jumped up and down the whole time because I was excited to watch some football, but it's not like that for everyone. But if anyone has a good song idea, then that would be greatly appreciated. At this point, the video is what it is until we can get a crew together to make a new one, but the song is easily changed, and we might even do a tandem of songs.

Also, I hope you all saw the giant GT flag that went over the Swarm section at the end of halftime this past season. We are going to try to do it after the first and third quarters now as well, so that the players might be able to see it.

Again, any ideas on school spirit, let me know and I can try to get em rolling for you and the whole school.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok not everyones going to like it but.... DMX-X Gon' Give it to Ya. First off theres no denying you listen to DMX and your instantly ready to fight no matter the time or day. Right when there all about to run out waiting in the tunnel they play the beginning where he yells THIS IS NOT A GAME. Than the beat drops they run out, crowds rockin and their ready to bust some heads.

Mitch Brown

Georgia Tech Fan
Haha great song, but probably not appropriate for Georgia Tech to play that song officially... Like ever. I like the Fall Out Boy song as a possibility, and I'll make sure to pass it on. Don't be surprised if you hear a new song playing this year before the games. Keep the ideas comin!

Hoss

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm pretty sure last season right before the team ran out of the tunnel Thunderstruck was blaring

Mitch Brown

Georgia Tech Fan
Well yes it was, but during the highlight video, it was zombie nation. I mean odds are, this will not get changed this year, but suggestions on anything like this are always welcome in my book.

stevo0718

Georgia Tech Fan
I like the song It reminds me of whe i was in school and i loke that. It serves its purpose as a long song for a long video.

If I could request not Fall Out Boy, that would be good. Something rappy would probably be great for the team to get them pumped up, preferrably not "All the way...."

Students would probably like something EDMy.

Sorry for no song suggestions... I would ask the team. They make great jersey selections so I'm sure they would be just as good at this.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, short of being able to secure a central tailgating area and completely redoing the student seating to the old system I doubt you can do much to create incentive to show up to games on time. I could go on for a while about why the changes to the student seating has completely ruined student attendance, but another time.

There needs to be way more going on in the stadium pre-game. We really just have the same old pregame highlight reels before the band gets on the field. The 20 minutes before the pre-game intro video should have things going on that students want to see. Either that, or make it necessary to be there early with all your friends enjoying the atmosphere. Also, why did we step up security so dadgum much? What's the harm in a kid bringing a flask in? Bring back the old non-TSA level security.

Maybe an instrumental/clean version of this song as a lead in. Used to have it for my high school team and it always got us pumped.

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
I was in a fraternity and wished the rest of the fraternity blocks didn't act too cool for it[...]

I started grad school at Tech last year and attended in my old fraternity's section. We don't sit! If someone tries to act cool then I get a little belligerent... being the requisite "old man" seems to work as leverage.

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
Uprising by Muse is perfect. The music, the lyrics, and everyone knows it.

Just by playing the intro on a loop, you'll have people jumping up and down ala Zombie Nation at the VT upset.

Give it a listen.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I think Drake's, "Started From the Bottom" would be awesome..kind of describes the teams underdog mentality too