WDE: Domineck, Harris/Kennard
LB: Quez, Tatum
LB: Eley, Thomas
CB: Swilling, Brooks
CB: Walton, KW2/Sims
NB: Walker, KW2
S: Juanyeh, Allen
S: Tariq, Edwards/King
Which DTs do you think will play 3T and which will play 1T? I know that last year we had Griffin at 3T and Brooks at 1T, but I’m unsure about which position Chimedza and Lockhart play. For that matter, does anyone know how Collins and Thacker like to use their DTs? Do we play many jumbo fronts with a pair of 1Ts? Do we use NASCAR packages on 3rd and long with a pair of 3T type DTs? Do we mostly just use a base front?

slugboy

Staff member
Which DTs do you think will play 3T and which will play 1T? I know that last year we had Griffin at 3T and Brooks at 1T, but I’m unsure about which position Chimedza and Lockhart play. For that matter, does anyone know how Collins and Thacker like to use their DTs? Do we play many jumbo fronts with a pair of 1Ts? Do we use NASCAR packages on 3rd and long with a pair of 3T type DTs? Do we mostly just use a base front?
By the time we got to the back half of the season, I’m not sure how much of our interior DL rotation was dictated by injuries.
This is relying on a foggy memory of las season:
We typically have an NT and a DT, but both are called DTs. Brooks was definitely at NT last season. I’m not sure where we’ll play the rest.
Sometimes the NT aligned near the center, and sometimes we moved him out near the guard. I don’t remember us swapping in a smaller DT on purpose. The other DT doesn’t seem to move as much.
I didn’t see anything I the Spring game that would give me any insight into the interior DL

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It wouldn't surprise me BlackStrain in the mix at WR. While he doesn't have the all the physical tools that Blackburn does he seems very polished coming out of highschool.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be surprised if these are the starting lineups. However, I expect that Mason will get as many carries as Gibbs. The CFN writeup on Tech had some points that I, shall we say, disagreed with, but they were right in saying that Mason will get you 100 yards if he gets 20 carries. Whether he will will depend on how much the OL improves. If he gets the blocks, Gibbs will do the same and maybe more. But … Gibbs doesn't make his own holes; Mason does. So we'll see.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn't be surprised if these are the starting lineups. However, I expect that Mason will get as many carries as Gibbs. The CFN writeup on Tech I some points that I, shall we say, disagreed with, but they were right in saying that Mason will get you 100 yards if he gets 20 carries. Whether he will will depend on how much the OL improves. If he gets the blocks, Gibbs will do the same and maybe more. But … Gibbs doesn't make his own holes; Mason does. So we'll see.
I hear you and like Mason but Gibbs is a special talent. His quickness and speed overshadow anything Mason can do.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I hear you and like Mason but Gibbs is a special talent. His quickness and speed overshadow anything Mason can do.

Let's also not forget to show D.Smith some love. Any of these three could be a featured back at a lot of places although I do agree that Gibbs is more of a home run threat with the ball in his hands.. This reminds of the running back depth chart that they have seemingly always had in Athens over the last several decades.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like Bush and White from the USC teams in the 2000's. Bush was obviously more talented but ended up with less carries. Like USC we would be foolish to not utilize both as much as possible. Both of these guys had injuries last year. No need to overtax either one of them.

LibertyTurns

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me BlackStrain in the mix at WR. While he doesn't have the all the physical tools that Blackburn does he seems very polished coming out of highschool.
I’m convinced Blackburn is going to be a TE. He’ll be a great WR, but I think his career will end up like Waller’s.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Like I said, provided he gets his blocks, you could be right. Remember O.J.'s first years with the Bills? Speed doesn't mean much if you can't get pass the LOS. And inside the 15 I'll take Mason any day of the week.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Let's also not forget to show D.Smith some love. Any of these three could be a featured back at a lot of places although I do agree that Gibbs is more of a home run threat with the ball in his hands.. This reminds of the running back depth chart that they have seemingly always had in Athens over the last several decades.
Then Smith? I agree that Gibbs is cuter, but Smith is just as fast. Runs a bit harder too. But, admittedly, Gibbs, given a little space, is more dangerous. He runs medium/deep routes better too.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
My take on how the depth chart will shake out to start the year:

OFFENSE:
QB: Sims, Yates
RB: Gibbs, Mason/Smith
WR: Carter, Boyd
WR: Sanders, Harris/Blackburn
Slot: McGowen, McCollum
TE: Leonard, Deveney
LT: Cochran, Leftwich
LG: Smith, Pendley
C: Minihan, Smith
RG: Johnson, Kirby
LT: Williams, Kirby

DEFENSE:
SDE: Clayton, White/ Ivey
DT: Lockhart, Chimedza
DT: Brooks, Griffin
WDE: Domineck, Harris/Kennard
LB: Quez, Tatum
LB: Eley, Thomas
CB: Swilling, Brooks
CB: Walton, KW2/Sims
NB: Walker, KW2
S: Juanyeh, Allen
S: Tariq, Edwards/King
I think Vaipulu will be getting a lot of snaps at LG, so I would move Pendley to RG and leave Kirby behind Williams.