Pre and Post Notre Dame Comments

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Drinking the Gold Color magic juice. Pastner has failed as a recruiter which is the core issue for our team. We do not have a roster that is upper 1/2 ACC much less one that can compete for an ACC championship. He got lucky with a once in a generation player who went from nothing to Conference Player of the year. That won’t happen again.

Until he starts getting ACC level talent every year recruting we will have an occasional good year for two/three bad years.
Yeah, I've gotta disagree with just about EVERYTHING you've said here. The only place we're lacking strong ACC level talent is at the 5, and I'm not so sure about that. With everyone healthy, we beat ND, handily.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking the other night when watching the game what this team would be like if Coleman and Kelly were sophomores this year and Maxwell was able to play last year. With those 3 shooters being locked in, we would be a much better scoring team and would be more dangerous.
That goes to the core of CJP’s recruting failures. We have zero freshmen coming in next year so the cycle repeats again and again. Until he actually consistently recruits top 150 HS players we won’t be a good ACC team more than once every 6 or so years.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That goes to the core of CJP’s recruting failures. We have zero freshmen coming in next year so the cycle repeats again and again. Until he actually consistently recruits top 150 HS players we won’t be a good ACC team more than once every 6 or so years.
There is a roster problem looming and I think that is the issue. I am not sure if top 150 recruiting is a short term solution.

We have nine underclassmen on scholarship and two seniors who are eligible for another season. Plus, we have a walk-on who may be put on scholarship when the NCAA roster reduction is over. That is potentially 12 spots already filled. I heard CJP say he is planning to go for a transfer big in the post season and that could potentially fill our roster.

The reality is that Devoe is probably not coming back. My guess is that Khalid is 50/50. Jalen is redshirting, so he will be a freshman next year. If Hill gets a scholarship, he will also be a freshman. We could get a late season HS recruit to fill one slot and give us three freshmen to begin 2022. I am not sure where to go from there.

I would love to hear ideas and discussion about what CJP could do after March Madness and what alternatives he has. The 2021 recruiting class is typical of what you are suggesting.

slugboy

Staff member
We also had/have a temporary one-scholarship loss (restriction) due to the NCAA penalties that we appealed that can be another factor in roster management.
(Do we still have that, or did it get overturned?)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We also had/have a temporary one-scholarship loss (restriction) due to the NCAA penalties that we appealed that can be another factor in roster management.
(Do we still have that, or did it get overturned?)
IIRC, we were under the one scholarship reduction through this season. We currently have 13 scholarship players (eleven that count toward the 12 player max). Usher and Parham are freebies due to the COVID year. CJP left one roster slot open through the summer in hopes of a late transfer. Several of us, including me, thought Hill would be bumped to the 12th scholarship late when the transfer did not materialize. For whatever reason, he remains a non-scholarship player.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There is a roster problem looming and I think that is the issue. I am not sure if top 150 recruiting is a short term solution.

We have nine underclassmen on scholarship and two seniors who are eligible for another season. Plus, we have a walk-on who may be put on scholarship when the NCAA roster reduction is over. That is potentially 12 spots already filled. I heard CJP say he is planning to go for a transfer big in the post season and that could potentially fill our roster.

The reality is that Devoe is probably not coming back. My guess is that Khalid is 50/50. Jalen is redshirting, so he will be a freshman next year. If Hill gets a scholarship, he will also be a freshman. We could get a late season HS recruit to fill one slot and give us three freshmen to begin 2022. I am not sure where to go from there.

I would love to hear ideas and discussion about what CJP could do after March Madness and what alternatives he has. The 2021 recruiting class is typical of what you are suggesting.
My fantasy is that CJP raids a winning team at a lower division of their two best players, a big and a shooting guard. They would already have some chemistry between them as well as having a habit of competing well. Then the trick is to integrate them with the rest of the team.

It’s a fantasy like I said.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I know nobody cares what I think, but I finally got the chance to watch this game.

Obviously, it is one that we should have won and needed to. Here are some random thoughts:

1. We have this odd knack of missing open 3s in critical moments that makes me feel like we are close to breaking out of this slump and going on a run…but then…
2. The 5 spot is really hurting us. Meka needs a lot more seasoning, especially on offense, and Saba is a liability on defense (and sometimes Meka too). We really need Howard back and he isn’t that great to begin with.
3. I like finally getting to see Maxwell. He is not afraid to shoot and we need that offense. He is often out of place on defense, though.
4. Speaking of defense…we have a number of issues here. Slow in rotation, slow to close out, no rim protector. The worst part is that we are playing so many new guys that the zone is not a great option either. I’m not sure what the solution is here.
5. Sturdivant needs to start driving and looking to shoot more. He is not roadrunner speed like Smith but he is quick enough to get to the elbow and then pass or shoot. This could free up our other shooters.
6. Speaking of shooters, somebody please tell Coleman that he has the green light…all the time.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not worried about next year, more concerned about the following class. We had a big freshman class this year and a RS from another shooting guard. So, we have youth out the wazoo, especially in the frontcourt. We need ready-to-play bigs.