Pre and Post Notre Dame Comments

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok whatever. we literally won the acc championship last year. If not for Covid, likely a decent run in the tourney too.

Don’t be too hard on him guys. He hasn’t had enough time to get his system in place. He’s still playing with the old staff’s players. The transition is too hard, you can’t go from the triple option to the Princeton offense in just 6 years, he needs more time…. Wait, this is the basketball thread?

In that case. I’m sure this game was a result of: being young/injuries/sh*tty refs/finals week/early season rust/Covid/the crowd was too loud/the crowd was too quiet/we got confused about what color we were wearing/or pick and choose from any or all of the typical excuses we see on this forum. Imagine defending Pastner in year 6 and wanting Collins fired in year 3 given their circumstances. I’ll give you that JP is much more likable, but other than that he’s done nothing here but keep the program stagnant. No better, no worse. I guess that’s okay even though basketball should be THE sport at Tech. Oh well. Baseball starts soon

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Sigh…we just won the conference and right now have the best recruiting class in years and everyone wants to cut ties. We are basically a little development and one piece (5) short of contending for the conference again. Not gonna be this year, but not exactly time to panic.
I don't think we are one player away from moving up 15 spots in the standings.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
DeVoe and Usher combine for 9 turnovers. This far into season and (super) Senior years, this is just not acceptable. With this team, and the support talents’ experience, Ush and DeVoe have to lead with better decisions - sure have to be close to perfect, very little short of that just won’t matter in Win column.
I think we’ll upset teams in late Jan and Feb, but painful to see tourney hopes just disappear like our offensive during these repeated dry spells.
Last two games Devoe is trying to get his shot late in the games more from taking his defender into the paint like a PG. He has been fairly successful but that just isn't his natural game. He is not as quick or as good a ball handler as Jose was. Pastner may be calling his number from the bench to take the shot on those possessions. He is our best shooter and leading scorer so can see that might be the strategy. We went small line up late in the game and during OT. I missed most of the game so don't know if Saba or Meka played.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
We just had the best year in recent history and we were unable to turn that into a good 2022 signing class… not even able to sign a player so far. Recruiting is part of the job, and our inability to do it means we are going to have to develop at a elite level every year…. That’s a hard way to build a consistent winner.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We just had the best year in recent history and we were unable to turn that into a good 2022 signing class… not even able to sign a player so far. Recruiting is part of the job, and our inability to do it means we are going to have to develop at a elite level every year…. That’s a hard way to build a consistent winner.

What? It's much harder to build a consistent winner through recruiting than it is through development.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
How about that play by Deebo on the steal and drawn foul under the basket by the way? That was truly awesome...definitely proud dad moments watching that and looking forward to more similarly big effort plays by Deebo over the next few years.
Deebo is a pro (size, ability to shoot, high basketball IQ, ability to guard 1-4) he played combo guard in high school he can handle the ball well. We may not have him as long as you all think. I’m sure he has been feeling his way and trying to play the right way, does he defer to the older guys too much probably yes, but it’s obvious the staff sees something in him and outside of the expected freshman woes he has not been a liability. A lot of stuff has been said about the offense & in our case of talent we’re doing them some disservice with the Princeton offense. We don’t set many screens, there are not many ball reversals, we have poor team assist numbers. Why are Devoe & Deebo not coming off pin downs? They should be running their defenders off multiple screens. Defenders should cringe with knowing they are going to get their azzes screened all night. Why are we not pushing the ball in primary looking to pitch ahead to Usher & Moore for transition buckets? We walk the ball up the court entirely too much. I understand you recruit kids that fit your program & can run your system, but this isn’t the case right now. I’m willing to bet if Meka & J. Moore played 1-1 J. Moore would win 8 out of 10 times. So still not sure as to why he is not getting more mins with Saba & Howard out. I believe if we continue to adjust the offense we will be fine. 0-4 in ACC is tough to stomach & losing magnifies a lot. Time to be optimistic there are 15 games left & we can actually beat all the teams, though UNC does pose match-up problems, but we can beat them.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
From first to worst!!!! Nah, we are just having growing pains. I still have faith, we are going to win games this year

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I said this before the season began, and I repeat it now, we cannot play small and win. We have to have a big who contributes more than Saba and Meka. I hoped Howard would be back by now as he is needed just as a presence in the middle of our defense. I don't remember who in Swarm preseason threads touted Meka as a future star inside, but he ain't there yet. I expected more from Saba and, while he is at least big enough, his instincts and reactions are terribly inadequate. Also, when you play small you have to hit better than 22% of your threes. When we win it's with defense and without a big we aren't doing that right now.

An observation about the role Jose played that we are missing this year. No one on this team has the combination of talent and the force of their willpower to be the guy that takes on the opponent in the last two minutes of a game and wills the team to victory. Devoe has the talent but lacks the willpower. Usher is the opposite. No one else on this seems to have either.

slugboy

Staff member
I said this before the season began, and I repeat it now, we cannot play small and win. We have to have a big who contributes more than Saba and Meka. I hoped Howard would be back by now as he is needed just as a presence in the middle of our defense. I don't remember who in Swarm preseason threads touted Meka as a future star inside, but he ain't there yet. I expected more from Saba and, while he is at least big enough, his instincts and reactions are terribly inadequate. Also, when you play small you have to hit better than 22% of your threes. When we win it's with defense and without a big we aren't doing that right now.

An observation about the role Jose played that we are missing this year. No one on this team has the combination of talent and the force of their willpower to be the guy that takes on the opponent in the last two minutes of a game and wills the team to victory. Devoe has the talent but lacks the willpower. Usher is the opposite. No one else on this seems to have either.
I think Usher is well set to slash to the basket. With Okogie, we had Lammers as a big to draw attention around the basket. Last year, we had Moses play that role (a little out of position).
Usher may be able to play that late game killer role, but he could use a little help.