Prayers out to Brandon Alston

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Last night in chat, one font in particular was very rough on Brandon. Hopefully he takes this to heart.

Sucks for him. Lost my dad last summer and know how it feels. It sucks. However, it doesn't change how he played and doesn't change anything about what I said about how he played, or has played all year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Words can't describe such loss and such a response. Kudos to Brandon. If GT Swarm wanted to send flowers. I'd contribute right here and now.....

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sucks for him. Lost my dad last summer and know how it feels. It sucks. However, it doesn't change how he played and doesn't change anything about what I said about how he played, or has played all year.

Funny..the guy who I think that knows a little more than you about the game of basketball, Coach Josh Pastner, stated that he felt as though he played his best game of the year.

I'll take that along with what I saw with my own eyes as enough fact that you don't know what in the hell you are talking about. Do you even know his role on the team?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Funny..the guy who I think that knows a little more than you about the game of basketball, Coach Josh Pastner, stated that he felt as though he played his best game of the year.

I'll take that along with what I saw with my own eyes as enough fact that you don't know what in the hell you are talking about. Do you even know his role on the team?

Pastner also had AD floating out on the perimeter for the first 15 games. People were complaining about how useless our 4s were and how little production we got, while a certain poster was saying it was the way we were utilizing him. Wonder who that poster was? Also funny to compare the two situations and how it seems nobody is blasting the lack of production from Alston the same way AD or Wright/Cole were earlier.

Coaches can be wrong, and just because Pastner coach talked up Alston doesn't mean he actually played well. He missed pretty every shot that wasn't a leak out layup, fouled a jump shooter on two separate occasions, and is in general slow footed and allowed far more penetration than he should have. And it'd be one thing if this was an outlier. But it wasn't. This is who he is against ACC teams. Sorry, but losing his dad doesn't change that. Nor does your appeal to authority fallacy.

Also, yes, I know what his role is supposed to be. He's supposed to be a 3 and d guy who brings veteran experience to an otherwise fairly young team. The problem is he isn't good at his role. He is a low volume shooter with mediocre average (4th on a bad 3 point shooting team) who also has poor movement so he isn't even getting a shot most of the time. So he's not the 3 part (and offensively in general he's 33% from the field which is atrocious). Defensively he's slow footed, allowing too much penetration, and remarkably passive, almost no blocks or steals, so he isn't the d part either. He's also a sub par ball handler as shown by pretty much any time we try to have him at the point to rest our true freshman. Experience wise he brings to the table none for this level of play, and he was a role player at Lehigh. Of course I'm sure people will spin this as his superior calmness and being under control or some stuff which surely isn't actually just over passiveness from a completely outmatched player.

But no. I have no idea what I'm talking about. Alston is clearly deserving of 27 minutes against ACC teams and we for sure won't regret a lack of experience in the post in the future. We'll of course make the post season on the back of the small ball line up from our team with 4 scholarship guards that shoot 3 pointers so well. We'll then ride that momentum into next year and not have a lack of experience problem down low, because I'm sure we'll get a stud grad transfer to fill in that role because we've seen in the past how great that works for us.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It's just humorous to me how hard you rail at Alston, but you were all about Justin Moore playing more.

Only because we literally have no other PG on roster and Jose needs a break. If we had anyone that was even close to a competent PG that could spell Jose then I wouldn't care if Moore played at all. I don't even think him getting more experience for the future is all that important because we have Jose as a fresh and Devoe coming in, with Phillips becoming eligible. It's 100% because I have been all about Cole and Wright playing more not because they'd play all that much better but because they'd actually put the experience to good use in the future as we only have one big for next year with none committed.

Let's avoid being tone deaf in this thread. If you want to criticize a player's performance, can you move it to the game thread? Let's keep this about the stated intent of the thread title.

Then posters shouldn't take shots at what I said in this topic.