Practice Report 8/13

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Think Dwight Freeney 6-1 , 268. He did okay.

Freeney is a DE...and even then, Freeney is the exception, not the rule.

DEs and DTs are freaks these days. People can point to Aaron Donald, but how many Aaron Donalds are there? The last 6'1 NT I can remember making a big impact in the NFL is Warren Sapp. If Shawn Green were like Aaron Donald, then we really wouldn't be having this conversation, would we?

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Freeney is a DE...and even then, Freeney is the exception, not the rule.

DEs and DTs are freaks these days. People can point to Aaron Donald, but how many Aaron Donalds are there? The last 6'1 NT I can remember making a big impact in the NFL is Warren Sapp. If Shawn Green were like Aaron Donald, then we really wouldn't be having this conversation, would we?
Wilfork is 6-1 and one of the best.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Green is almost exactly the same size as Aaron Donald. Now, admittedly, that's an unfair comparison, but Green's plenty big enough and quick enough when he's healthy. I hope he's being held out because he's a starter and they know what he can do rather then that he has another nagging injury to deal with. The young man really deserves a break!
This is my hope as well. Knowing CPJ and how he handles these things, I bet it's true. Just look at Laskey and JT for further examples.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
http://www.nfl.com/player/vincewilfork/2505916/profile

6'2...but not gonna quibble over an in (that's what she said!). He's also 325 lbs and nasty.

Also the exception, not the rule.

Green is "listed" at 6' 280 lbs.
You said the last 6-1 you could remember was Sapp. Just saying there are others with similar height to Green.
Other notable DTs with similar height: Geno Atkins, John Randle, Louis Nix, etc.

And we are talking college, so there are plenty more playmakers around his height.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You said the last 6-1 you could remember was Sapp. Just saying there are others with similar height to Green.
Other notable DTs with similar height: Geno Atkins, John Randle, Louis Nix, etc.

And we are talking college, so there are plenty more playmakers around his height.

"Similar" and being taller than (and quite larger) than Green's 6'0 280 lbs is a big difference in football.

Louis Nix is 6'2 330lbs
Geno Atkins is 6'1 303 lbs
John Randle is probably the closest comparison physically to Green at 6'1 290...and he's an NFL HOF'er.

I just think it's funny that GT fans want to pull out some of the best players at the position when talking about Green...like I said, they are the exception, not the rule. When Green can stay healthy and have half the impact those guys had on the collegiate level then we can start talking. Until then it's kinda just silly to compare a player that can't stay healthy to those players.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
"Similar" and being taller than (and quite larger) than Green's 6'0 280 lbs is a big difference in football.

Louis Nix is 6'2 330lbs
John Randle is probably the closest comparison physically to Green at 6'1 290...and he's an NFL HOF'er.

I just think it's funny that GT fans want to pull out some of the best players at the position when talking about Green...like I said, they are the exception, not the rule. When Green can stay healthy and have half the impact those guys had on the collegiate level then we can start talking. Until then it's kinda just silly to compare a player that can't stay healthy to those players.
You said last you could remember was Sapp, I just gave you more examples. There are probably more. Vance Walker was listed 6-2 293 while at Tech.

Point is that Green can be an adequate DT for us at his height and weight. Like Jemea and Godhigh performed well at their heights. And many others.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
You said last you could remember was Sapp, I just gave you more examples. There are probably more. Vance Walker was listed 6-2 293 while at Tech.

Point is that Green can be an adequate DT for us at his height and weight. Like Jemea and Godhigh performed well at their heights. And many others.

He has looked good *when able to play*. That's the problem. Ie the sun bowl where he was blowing up USC linemen who I'm sure we're mostly 4 stars out of hs.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

You've lost the plot. You can name all "similar" height DTs you want (don't worry, there aren't many), but the point is, Green's size (height AND weight) make him injury prone which was my original point. His track record has proven that. I'll be happy to be proven wrong on that this year.

It's great that Jemea and Godhigh performed well at their size...but they're not slamming against 300+ lb'ers every snap like a DT has to. There were some plays where Jemea and Godhigh didn't make physical contact with anyone at all. Different physical stress for their positions so the comparison doesn't hold.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He has looked good *when able to play*. That's the problem. Ie the sun bowl where he was blowing up USC linemen who I'm sure we're mostly 4 stars out of hs.

Your emphasis is the key. The guy has obvious talent *when able to play*. Same fear I have for JT. Home run threat *when able to play*.

Talent is no good if it's on the sidelines.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
You've lost the plot. You can name all "similar" height DTs you want (don't worry, there aren't many), but the point is, Green's size (height AND weight) make him injury prone which was my original point. His track record has proven that. I'll be happy to be proven wrong on that this year.

It's great that Jemea and Godhigh performed well at their size...but they're not slamming against 300+ lb'ers every snap like a DT has to. There were some plays where Jemea and Godhigh didn't make physical contact with anyone at all. Different physical stress for their positions so the comparison doesn't hold.
There are actually plenty of examples. Just named several off the top of my head.

One player's injury history doesn't prove anything. Sample case of one is just that, one case. Doesn't prove anything.

Last time I checked Gotsis and Attaochu played the whole year at similar weight-difference match-ups. So did many others in previous years or for other teams.

Last year's all-ACC defense:
DE - Vic Beasley, Clemson, 6-3, 225, Jr-R.., Adairsville, Ga. (161)
DE - Kareem Martin, North Carolina, 6-6, 265, Sr., Roanoke Rapids, N.C. (159)
DT - Aaron Donald, Pitt, 6-0, 275, Sr., Pittsburgh, Pa. (171)
DT – Nikita Whitlock, Wake Forest, 5-11, 250, Sr.-R, Wylie, Texas (156)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Louis Nix is 6'2 330lbs

People use examples of similarly sized players who are successful. It'd be kind of stupid to use a person of similar size that wasn't successful as a comparison, now wouldn't it?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
People use examples of similarly sized players who are successful. It'd be kind of stupid to use a person of similar size that wasn't successful as a comparison, now wouldn't it?

I get your point, but you have to go apples to apples. His example was not. being a 5'9 CB (Jemea) isn't all that uncommon. Being a 5'7 RB or Slotback (Godhigh) isn't all that uncommon either.