Practice 8/11

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
O'Reilly was rated very high coming out of High School at offensive guard , any chance they may try him at that position ?

Not trying to speak for Eric, but I think I remember him mentioning that O'Reilly would likely stay at center for depth purposes. I don't remember when/where he posted that though.....

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Couple of questions
Latest on
Step?
Devine?
Chamberlin at LT worries me any reason why the switch?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@ATL1

CPJ has not mentioned those.

Step is third string right now.

Devine is practicing. Second team LG...The only mention CPJ has said is that he has lost a lot of weight but still needs a lot more...he then added he will have to play this year though.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Errin Joe back today.

CPJ said the Leggett injury forced the Synjyn move...been thinking about it awhile.

Said Chris Griffin is definitely starting at RT.

Had good things to say about Days and Zenon... said Zenon has had a good camp.

Excited about Andrew Marshall.

I'm excited to hear we might have an upgrade at RT.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
O'Reilly was rated very high coming out of High School at offensive guard , any chance they may try him at that position ?

We have used both him and Burden at G recently...Will be interesting to what route they go...I know they like Andrew Marshall at C so maybe we feel he could be the backup. Definitely something to watch.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
We have used both him and Burden at G recently...Will be interesting to what route they go...I know they like Andrew Marshall at C so maybe we feel he could be the backup. Definitely something to watch.
Forgive my ignorance here, and also forgive what has to feel like a landslide of criticism, but isn't Chamberlain considered the weakest link on the line?

If so, and if Burden is known for his mobility, wouldn't it make sense to start O'Reilly and move Burden out to LT?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A good center is worth their weight in gold. You need two ready to go just like a QB. If Marshal can be a backup you may see just what you say.

I am hoping Chamberlain will surprise all you guys!

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Forgive my ignorance here, and also forgive what has to feel like a landslide of criticism, but isn't Chamberlain considered the weakest link on the line?

If so, and if Burden is known for his mobility, wouldn't it make sense to start O'Reilly and move Burden out to LT?

They just feel like Burden is a better fit at G from what I am told...Fwiw the coaches have had high praise for Trey Klock.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Chamberlain is interesting. He had high praise before last season then his season was awful. Not sure what the deal is. But when the lights come on he just struggles. Hopefully he is showing more this year

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
During the morning's Red Zone period, freshman CB Lance Austin (Barnesville/Lamar County HS) made a nice play to break-up a pass on third-and-five and force a field goal try. Senior LB Quayshawn Nealy (Lakeland, Fla.) was also in on the action, stuffing BB Matt Connors (Alpharetta/Marist School) at the line for no gain on a third-and-short attempt. The offense found the end zone when senior WR Darren Waller (Acworth/North Cobb HS) reeled in a 12-yard catch for a first down, and sophomore AB Dennis Andrews (Tallahassee, Fla.) followed a play later by scoring from eight-yards out on a pitch.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/14-preseason.html

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
A good center is worth their weight in gold. You need two ready to go just like a QB. If Marshal can be a backup you may see just what you say.

I am hoping Chamberlain will surprise all you guys!
Someone posted an excellent film clip of Chamberlain absolutely pancaking a blitzing linebacker in practice. The linebacker was trying to emulate the defensive strategy of VPI last year. It was a very impressive play. Unless someone else was wearing his number. :sneaky:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I do not think CPJ would start Chamberlain if he had a better player for that position, whichever he plays. I think Chamberlain may be better than we remember him from some plays last year. But let's face it. LT is huge in the pros because they pass from the pocket with right-handed QBs A LOT. How often do we set up and pass like a pro team? I bet it will be somewhere between never and 2 times per game.