Practice #7 (8/6)

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Let's see what the freshman can do at RT. Jake Stickler definitely has the size for it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm guessing that Coach is trying to light a fire under Chamberlain. With only frosh behind him he may have come in a bit complacent. Let's hope he takes the hint; he's way talented.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm guessing that Coach is trying to light a fire under Chamberlain. With only frosh behind him he may have come in a bit complacent. Let's hope he takes the hint; he's way talented.

Chamberlain didn't play well last year and there was hope that he had greatly improved. Apparently not. CPJ is rather blunt about things, hope we get an improvement from Chamberlain or someone new; it speaks to the talent of the Fr that they may start over Chamberlain.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I hope you're right. It's a lot to ask a true frosh to step in on the OL, especially if he didn't enroll early. We could always play musical chairs with the starters and slide somebody over. Burden and O'Reilly are in a heated battle at center. Whomever loses could slide on down.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope you're right. It's a lot to ask a true frosh to step in on the OL, especially if he didn't enroll early. We could always play musical chairs with the starters and slide somebody over. Burden and O'Reilly are in a heated battle at center. Whomever loses could slide on down.

If a Fr is likely to start, I hope he starts the first 3 games and gets some experience. It's good that we have Fr talent which may be able to displace a multi year starter.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I think Shaq had significant playing time as a true freshman but I can't recall any others that have seen the field. Braun and Devine were close.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The normal thing with Joe...nothing bad.

I was surprised Eason was not listed ahead of the freshmen at OT in the latest 2 deep (considering the walking wounded). Any word on his eligibility, and is that delay holding him back or are the freshmen just outperforming?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
From the various player interviews I have read good reports, multiple times, on the Austins, Searcy, and Leggett, but no one has mentioned Kagawa, Eason M, or Whitehead. I assume they are practicing. Any insight on how they are doing? Obviously Stickler, Klock, and Brown are performing well as they are on the temporary 2 deep.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've said before so I'll say it again: I think our starting 5 after a game or two will be Griffin, Mason, Burden, Devine, and Braun. Braun has played OT before, albeit briefly, and is the obvious choice here if Chamberlain doesn't see the light. Devine and Brigham could platoon if Shamire has conditioning issues, but we've not heard anything along those lines yet.

I'm hoping we don't have to do this. It would mean three brand new starters on an OL already inexperienced. True, they've got physics on their side, but experience counts in an O like ours. OL is the most complicated position on the field. Glad this is what we pay the coaches to figure out.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I was surprised Eason was not listed ahead of the freshmen at OT in the latest 2 deep (considering the walking wounded). Any word on his eligibility, and is that delay holding him back or are the freshmen just outperforming?

We won't have any word on his eligibility until the NCAA rules on it, no way to know until then. Shouldn't be that much longer.

No idea on his performance thus far.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Chamberlain didn't play well last year and there was hope that he had greatly improved. Apparently not. CPJ is rather blunt about things, hope we get an improvement from Chamberlain or someone new; it speaks to the talent of the Fr that they may start over Chamberlain.
Waiting on an eligibility decision from NCAA on Eason M. He is bigger than the freshmen and a year ahead in college practice. I haven't been able to get a reading on his performance, but if his eligibility comes through I expect him to be in the mix, or ahead of the freshmen. Do you have any insight on Eason?