Practice #5

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
You can tell from most of my posts that I really like Coach Johnson. However, these interviews are excruciating. I know he can be very witty and entertaining many times, but so much of the time he acts completely miserable to answer very "answerable" questions. I would never want him to be a rah-rah guy, but he could do a little better than "he's about like everybody else."

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You can tell from most of my posts that I really like Coach Johnson. However, these interviews are excruciating. I know he can be very witty and entertaining many times, but so much of the time he acts completely miserable to answer very "answerable" questions. I would never want him to be a rah-rah guy, but he could do a little better than "he's about like everybody else."

I kind of agree. I'm a huge fan of CPJ, and typically sympathetic to his lack of patience with stupid reporters. However, he should want to stir up excitement among fans without fanning over hype. So, he should decide what he wants to share and use reporter questions to do that.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I kind of agree. I'm a huge fan of CPJ, and typically sympathetic to his lack of patience with stupid reporters. However, he should want to stir up excitement among fans without fanning over hype. So, he should decide what he wants to share and use reporter questions to do that.

Maybe it's because he knows how lacking we are in the hype worthy player department. Ever thought of that?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think the main thing with this interview, and lack of info from it, is that we have just barely scratched the surface. I honestly don't think there is anything for him to really say yet. Caveat being whether the team looks in shape to start things off...that should at least be apparent but wasn't asked and is probably assumed to be at a standard level due to the off season work the team puts in.

Now if this is the same interview we get in another week or two....this same criticism would be warranted.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
After listening to recording I offer this - in my opinion the margin of victory is slim in business and sports and this dower tone about the players is part of the problem. Did he see any signs of progress? Is he glad to be doing his job?
Does he always speak and carry himself in a manner that shows that he thinks coaching at ga tech is a great!

My son was a student at Baylor before Briles and has now returned to teach .
Baylor used to be terrible- years w no conference wins.
When Art Briles came to Baylor, one of the first things he did was hold a private pep rally with the incoming freshman class. He told them the new football tradition would be exciting and he appealed for them to dress crazy for the games and that the tradition of students leading the tam on the field would now be for the craziest dressed. He appealed to them to make it their tradition. Back in the doormat days I was at one game and it was 42 to nothing half way through the second quarter and the few fans in attendance did not care. Now they out recruit us by a mile, have new sold stadium going up, record enrollment( at expensive private school), and have depth in most positions.

I know our coach is not outgoing and that only slightly reduces our chances of recruiting, motivating , preventing talented guys from transferring and thus reduces are chances of winning slightly.
Maybe he has some guys talking to the players who translate dower to upbeat or maybe there is no reason to not be dower. The heck with the later. I go with the former so we have a great year climaxing with a victory over uga, in the post game coach lavishes praise on everyone while praising gt fans
THWG

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
Football players and coaches are like fathers and sons. The players and the sons want to hear praise. While part of spring practice is learning new aspects of the offensive or defensive schemes, a lot of what they do is the same. Players like to hear that they are doing well and I am sure there have been plenty of good things that have happened. Let the players hear about it publicly!

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
The flat fact is that his recruiting has been VERY average -for whatever reason-maybe some of it is his personality

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, it sure didn't take long for that thread to get hijacked!

I'm with Whiskey here: he didn't say much because the team hasn't scrimmaged yet and he won't form any opinions about even a depth chart until they do. No coach would say anything different at this stage.

The one thing that concerned me is that Gamble has a concussion. Since he got T-boned, I suppose that's actually good news. Oth, I hope it's a mild one and he can get back in time to get on the field this spring. I get the feeling we'll need him. What Coach said about Commissiong was also encouraging; they obviously told him things last year and he listened. Let's hope he gets the practice he needs as well.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, didn't mean to hijack. That's actually a pet peeve of mine and something I don't see much on this site. Carry on with actual practice news!

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah same old stuff different day. That is what I hear in a lot of interviews with PJ. It just sounds like he has lost the fire for his job. I hope not but it sounds that way.

Go Jackets!

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
He's probably got Budweiser and dinner waiting at home. So there's not a lot of probing dissertation coming from him.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Cpj sounds a lot like nick Saban, I don't see people questioning his fire for his job. At least cpj will crack a joke or two once in a while, Saban doesn't even smile. Y'all are ridiculous sometimes lol.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, PJ is usually pretty great with the media in the off the record stuff and he is a pretty good lunch/dinner speaker because he has a lot of great stories and enjoys telling them.