Practice #1

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if there is a chance Marcordes can move down to DE, then slot Harrell or PJ Davis in his spot at LB

I think Roof will get more creative with his pass rushing. He'll probably use Marcordes as a "false" DE...that is, like a 3-4 OLB or a DE that stands up ala Jeremiah Attachou at times. With LOS guys like Gotsis (who can play DE and DT) and Marcordes who can be a stand up rusher or drop back into space as an OLB, it'll give Roof some flexibility with what we do depending on the play without the need to substitute. Flex defenders are a must have now with all these spread offenses. It's a big reason why we're going to a 4-2-5, but that alignment could easily morph into a 4-3 or 3-4 depending on personnel and what the offense does.

This isn't the first time GT has had DL problems. I remember O'Leary's teams having to move LBs to DE a few times. With the type of flex guys we have on defense, it's only a matter of how Roof deploys them. Of course, I'm not sure what we have past Marcordes and Gotsis...so depth is a big issue past our first line.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I see y'all sneaking in some football talk, so you can keep on with the 311 discussion...

Man, the practice fields look like they are in great shape! I miss that Georgia weather!

This summer in ATL has been great for growing turf grass. Even my yard seven miles from campus is in fantastic shape. I would assume that, even though I put a good amount of effort into my zoysia yard, GT's resources can get the fields in perfect shape.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Marcordes seems to move pretty well in space...strong vs the run and pretty good in pass defense. I think his wheels are better than Harrell's and we are overall better using Harrell as hybrid DE/LB while keeping Marcordes at LB. Just one man's opinion though. I trust the coaches to maximize our personnel.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Marcordes seems to move pretty well in space...strong vs the run and pretty good in pass defense. I think his wheels are better than Harrell's and we are overall better using Harrell as hybrid DE/LB while keeping Marcordes at LB. Just one man's opinion though. I trust the coaches to maximize our personnel.

I think you can do it with both...depending on the situation. That's the beauty of having flex defenders...you're only limited by what you can think of.

X's and O's of the defense will be quite interesting this year.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Viewed the practice pictures on AJC. Klock, Stickler, Brown, and Whitley were impressive (but definitely second to Griffin). Anyone know who are 79 and 89, not on the published roster?

79 is most likely Eason Fromayan. Who is 89 on D (Whitehead) ? Brown gets the biggest shirt. What a physique!

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
This summer in ATL has been great for growing turf grass. Even my yard seven miles from campus is in fantastic shape. I would assume that, even though I put a good amount of effort into my zoysia yard, GT's resources can get the fields in perfect shape.

The change in subject from 311 to grass is a strange one... or is it?