Power Conference HC rankings

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
People forget that in Paul Johnson's first year it took a late score to beat Gardner Webb with a Tech team that was far more talented than the team Collins inherited from Johnson that lost to The Citadel.

People also forget that in Paul Johnson's third year he lost to a Kansas team that was 3-9 and far worse than NIU was last year.

I am mistaken. Posters on this board didn't forget. They just don't know very much about college football or the Georgia Tech program.
This is a hilarious point. You bring up a game we *almost* lost in a year we won 9 games, and a game we did lose in a year we at least went to a bowl.

The PJ teams definitely had their downs with their ups, but there have been many more and worse downs with CGC, with basically no ups.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The "Composite Talent Index" only seems to go back to 2015, not all the way to 2008, but we can pull some numbers from https://collegefootballdata.com/.
A higher Talent Composite Score is better.

YearRecordCoachTalent Composite RankTalent Composite Score
20153-9Johnson49590.34
20169-4Johnson50582.55
20175-6Johnson52574.35
20187-6Johnson49583.49
20193-9Collins45629.10
20203-7Collins30684.42
20213-9Collins31707.35

If you believe the recruiting sites, Collins has had more talent in his first year than in any one of Johnson's recorded years, including his 2016 Tax Slayer bowl year.

I was in section 103 for the Gardner Webb game where we virtually played without a QB (Calvin Booker), and I'm comfortable saying Johnson would have rolled Gardner Webb with our 2019 roster and would have done better with the same players.

What you can see is that Collins has upgraded our recruiting rankings since he's been here, and we're on a trajectory for a top 25 talent level (or we were). But we're steady at a bottom-25 defensive performance even though we've moved up to top 30-ish talent.

I understand the position that it takes time to build a traditional offensive line. Even so, we should have had good sophomores playing last year. We had an excuse to be an average offense line at worst, and we were well below average. There's no excuse on defense--either the players weren't doing what they're coached to do, or they were coached to do the wrong thing.
Based upon the talent ranking we should have had better than 3 won seasons and darn sure should not have lost to the Citadel nor NIU.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Based upon the talent ranking we should have had better than 3 won seasons and darn sure should not have lost to the Citadel nor NIU.
It’s all just excuses. They don’t care about winning or our players having good coaching. Johnson man bad. It’s the only excuse left.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This is a hilarious point. You bring up a game we *almost* lost in a year we won 9 games, and a game we did lose in a year we at least went to a bowl.

The PJ teams definitely had their downs with their ups, but there have been many more and worse downs with CGC, with basically no ups.
The only "ups" in the Collins era that I can recall were beating Miami and UNC. The close call with Clemson was definitely an "up". The "downs" are so frequent as to become ordinary and expected.