Power Conference HC rankings

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CBS Sports has its Power conference HC rankings out.
ACC coaches were ranked in the following spots - 65, 64, 60, 58, 56, 47, 43, 34, 27, 25, 20, 19, 17, 2

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
ACC coaches were ranked in the following spots - 65, 64, 60, 58, 56, 47, 43, 34, 27, 25, 20, 19, 17, 2

Obviously, no one on this site votes in this poll.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

So Geoff is the worst coach with more than a season under his belt. Sounds about right...

slugboy

Staff member
Ranked worse than Dino Babers.
Who's had a 1-win season.
Ouch.
Dino started off well and has had marquee wins during his tenure. The last few years have been poor. He also owns the head-to-head record against Collins, so he’s got the tiebreaker.

=======

On one hand, a bunch of first-year coaches got ranked at the bottom. On the other hand, some got rated above Collins and Babers, etc. I don't think Freeman (ND's coach) has ever been a major head coach. If their methodology is that first-time coaches get ranked at the bottom, they aren't very strict about it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Dino started off well and has had marquee wins during his tenure. The last few years have been poor. He also owns the head-to-head record against Collins, so he’s got the tiebreaker.

=======

On one hand, a bunch of first-year coaches got ranked at the bottom. On the other hand, some got rated above Collins and Babers, etc. I don't think Freeman (ND's coach) has ever been a major head coach. If their methodology is that first-time coaches get ranked at the bottom, they aren't very strict about it.
... Those darn details can come back and bite somebody in the a*s.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Angry Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

No, nope, nope ... it says here the whole CBS is already ... #Listed

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Ranked worse than Dino Babers.
Who's had a 1-win season.
Ouch.
Having watched more Syracuse than I care to admit, Dino is actually a pretty good coach imo.
They have had awful luck with QB health, and recruiting there is worse than Tech. At least we have great local kids that stay near home. The whole of the NE can’t compare to our home turf when it comes to depth of talent.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll just leave this from coacheshotseat.com (out of all 130 FBS coaches) here...
and this was Jan 14 before losing more commits.

1653192232919.png

Last edited:

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Do you recall who he beat in his 1-win season?

That was a Covid year as well, fwiw. And in the years wrapped around it, he won 10, 5 and 5. Much harder place to recruit, too.
Oh, I know. Even as much as I like to bag on Collins, even that loss is way too painful to bring up.
Now, Citadel, however. ....

Everybody dealt with a COVID year. Not an excuse or explanation or a limiting factor.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I know. Even as much as I like to bag on Collins, even that loss is way too painful to bring up.
Now, Citadel, however. ....

Everybody dealt with a COVID year. Not an excuse or explanation or a limiting factor.
People forget that in Paul Johnson's first year it took a late score to beat Gardner Webb with a Tech team that was far more talented than the team Collins inherited from Johnson that lost to The Citadel.

People also forget that in Paul Johnson's third year he lost to a Kansas team that was 3-9 and far worse than NIU was last year.

I am mistaken. Posters on this board didn't forget. They just don't know very much about college football or the Georgia Tech program.

slugboy

Staff member
People forget that in Paul Johnson's first year it took a late score to beat Gardner Webb with a Tech team that was far more talented than the team Collins inherited from Johnson that lost to The Citadel.

People also forget that in Paul Johnson's third year he lost to a Kansas team that was 3-9 and far worse than NIU was last year.

I am mistaken. Posters on this board didn't forget. They just don't know very much about college football or the Georgia Tech program.
The "Composite Talent Index" only seems to go back to 2015, not all the way to 2008, but we can pull some numbers from https://collegefootballdata.com/.
A higher Talent Composite Score is better.

YearRecordCoachTalent Composite RankTalent Composite Score
20153-9Johnson49590.34
20169-4Johnson50582.55
20175-6Johnson52574.35
20187-6Johnson49583.49
20193-9Collins45629.10
20203-7Collins30684.42
20213-9Collins31707.35

If you believe the recruiting sites, Collins has had more talent in his first year than in any one of Johnson's recorded years, including his 2016 Tax Slayer bowl year.

I was in section 103 for the Gardner Webb game where we virtually played without a QB (Calvin Booker), and I'm comfortable saying Johnson would have rolled Gardner Webb with our 2019 roster and would have done better with the same players.

What you can see is that Collins has upgraded our recruiting rankings since he's been here, and we're on a trajectory for a top 25 talent level (or we were). But we're steady at a bottom-25 defensive performance even though we've moved up to top 30-ish talent.

I understand the position that it takes time to build a traditional offensive line. Even so, we should have had good sophomores playing last year. We had an excuse to be an average offense line at worst, and we were well below average. There's no excuse on defense--either the players weren't doing what they're coached to do, or they were coached to do the wrong thing.