Power 5 Scheduling

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Interesting article on ESPN. I am not surprised that our coach voted against the idea of the Power 5 playing exclusively amongst themselves.

There are numerous reasons why he would vote that way and there is no reason to assume simply negative thoughts

http://espn.go.com/college-football...r-five-coaches-want-power-five-only-schedules

I have mixed feelings on this issue. I would like to see P5 only schedules for the most part, but if you did that, then you would lose some teams. Playing Navy or Army, BYU and other better non-P5 schools would be over. The Tulane game wouldn't exist, either. I'm not big on playing FCS opponents, but some of the Non-P5 schools make for good match ups.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Another thought. If we did go to this, I am betting there would be a logjam trying to get Indiana, Iowa State, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke if they revert, and all the other bottom dweller P5 teams on the schedule for OcC opponents.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Sorry to keep posting, but here's a great quote from the article you referenced:

"Mississippi State's Dan Mullen, who also favored it, said that if the schools played only Power Five opponents, they would need more scholarship players and expanded eligibility."

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Cutting everyone else out completely seems excessive. Cut out FCS games and only allow one non P5 game to count for bowl eligibility every year. It seems stupid that a team like East Carolina can't play North Carolina or NC St when they beat both of them by double digits last year. Most teams in the P5 aren't ever going to be in playoff consideration anyways.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I would think a no vote was out of respect for the coaches and institutions that are not "Power 5".
Some good programs not in the power 5, Boise St, UCF, Southern Miss, Utah St, Navyl, etc.
My bet is coach Johnson's vote was a show of respect for them.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
This probably goes without saying, but being in a non-P5 market out here in Boise, this topic is getting lots of air time on the local sports talk show.
As you can probably guess, the most popular response is that the P5 Conferences are ruining college football.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
I think scheduling FCS schools is a good thing. 1) It allows 2nd and 3rd stringers who bust their butt all year actual playing time. 2)Much like the preseason in NFL it gives our 1st sting an opportunity to work on fundamentals and form cohesiveness as a unit before playing the big boys. 3) Allows you to rest injured players. 4) Makes for great tailgating not having to worry about if we will win.

I don't see a problem with opening up with FCS opponent or playing one the week before UGA for the above reasons.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Undecided, I think this only the beginning of the overall college football evolution to a playoff system.
Though I think I agree one FCS game/year, played early as a warm-up and a pay-check for them.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
If this happens then they better expand the 4 team playoffs because there’s gonna be some more losses on schedules and we’ll be relying even more on computers to pick the top 4.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This probably goes without saying, but being in a non-P5 market out here in Boise, this topic is getting lots of air time on the local sports talk show.
As you can probably guess, the most popular response is that the P5 Conferences are ruining college football.
The popular response is right. BSU could probably beat half the teams in the top 10 anytime next season. It's a stupid idea and I'm glad Coach voted against it.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
There will be a tremendous financial impact to the non Power 5 as well as the old D1-AA if this occurs. It will be interesting to see if there is a backlash against the Power 5 in other sports.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
It could get ugly in all sports. Collegiate athletics as a whole would suffer greatly if the power 5 are too short-sighted or greedy. The sport as a whole already has barely more integrity than professional wrestling qua sport.