Potential redshirt for Sjolund

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'd really like to see Sjo and Shembari get meaningful minutes tonight
I wonder if Sjo is being red-shirted? It would help spread out the log jam of the combo forward spot.
CJP just said in the pre-game show that they're thinking about redshirting Sjo. Decision isn't final, but he said to not expect him to play tonight.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
CJP just said in the pre-game show that they're thinking about redshirting Sjo. Decision isn't final, but he said to not expect him to play tonight.

That would be an interesting decision. I'd feel better about it if Usher was available right away, but might be good in the long run.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Great idea, and good use of resources. Like MtnWasp said, it separates him from Usher and gives him time to improve without costing us. With Asanti and Parham, we've got the 3-point shooting covered (that Sjolund provided last year).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm also on the 'I hope Sjolund redshirts' bandwagon. He showed flashes on the court last year and was the best player on the floor the first game in Spain. I'd much rather have year 5 of Sjolund than year 2.

As also mentioned it puts some separation between Sjolund and the other players he overlaps with - particuarly Usher and Moore.

This is probably the first year we've had the luxury of redshirting anyone. It will also help even out classes a little bit. Moves him into the same class as Price.

Sr - Banks, Phillips
Jr - Jose, Parham, Usher, Cole, Wright
So - Devoe, Moore, Didenko
Fr - Price, Sjolund
HS - Meka, Maxwell, Gigiberia

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I like the move also however this means that we need to get a high level PG for the recruiting class of 2021. With 2 graduating that year, hopefully we will be appealing to several prospects and the thought of immediately playing could be appealing. I will go further and say that we may need to also get another PG as a HS senior or transfer to ensure we have depth. As we have seen in the ACC, it is important to have a good floor general to lead the team.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm guessing PG will be the #1 priority for the 2021 class. Right now i'm assuming they have to be thinking a 4 man class with a potential 12 scholarship limit. Given they got Meka and Saba in 2020 I can't see them signing more than 1 big, most of the emphasis will be on guards and wings.

Maxwell can play some PG, but you don't want that to be his primary role.

GT_EE78

Banned
sounds like a win-win proposition. Sjo likely gets more playing time over his career here and the team may get a more developed senior starter.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
With Didenko, they might just want to move him through if he doesn't project to be more than a limited role player.
I think you're on to something with this opinion. They probably see Sjolund as having a higher ceiling, especially 1-2 years from now.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is a rumor with didenko is that his scholarship is effectively a one year tryout. If he plays well he stays, if he doesn't he probably heads to Europe.
His coach is friends with Reveno and Pastner.

slugboy

Staff member
There is a rumor with didenko is that his scholarship is effectively a one year tryout. If he plays well he stays, if he doesn't he probably heads to Europe.
His coach is friends with Reveno and Pastner.

I thought I saw that the P5 mandated 4 year scholarships in another thread. I’m not sure if that would apply here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Having seen Didenko on the court in person twice now (Ga College and Elon), he is better than I expected. I do see him becoming ACC calliber wing over time, but not ready for big minutes yet. I do not see him playing a lot this year. He is a (tall) small forward that 'can' play stretch 4 (perimeter not inside offensive skills). Moore, Usher, and Price are all going to see minutes before he does - having someone that can play is insurance in case of injury, etc.

I agree that Sjouland redshirting is probably a good thing for us for the long term - evens out the classes more, and positions him to play a lot his R-Jr and R-Sr years, plus be role player as R-So. I like the decision, and would be surprised if he does not do it unless there are signifiant injuries that mean he would play significant minutes this year.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ding ding...

I was hoping for at least one bucket so I could get out to an early lead in Didenko vs. Watson wager..LOL.

On a serious note, Didenkos body language was bad last night. I don’t know if it’s a language barrier or what, but I never see him talking to teammates, and this may sound like an odd observation, but I’m yet to see him smile. The game should be fun!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
On a serious note, Didenkos body language was bad last night. I don’t know if it’s a language barrier or what, but I never see him talking to teammates, and this may sound like an odd observation, but I’m yet to see him smile. The game should be fun!

You're expecting a russian to smile?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
You're expecting a russian to smile?
185809DC-1681-4BD7-A85B-4384A5293633.jpeg
Nope

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
With Didenko, they might just want to move him through if he doesn't project to be more than a limited role player.
CJP was quoted in interview regarding Sjolund that the final decision to RS is on the player. He says he will never push a kid to RS, it is a serious personal decision that the player needs to make based on what the kid thinks is best for himself.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk