Potential playoff expansion

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
That is not what was ever said. Several have stated that all P5 conf champs and at least 1 (maybe more depending on ranking?) G5 champion should be seeded. That leaves possibly 5 or 6 at large ranked schools.
Did you even read the comment I quoted and was replying to? That's exactly what he said. 4th best in the SEC wasn't champion so they shouldn't be playing for a title, even if they were the 4th ranked team in the country.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It won’t happen and it’s not a possibility, but I would love to see the playoff just be a continuation of the BCS bowls and with traditional tie-ins i.e. Rose is PAC 12 vs. B1G, Sugar is SEC, Orange is ACC, Cotton or Fiesta is Big 12. The remaining spots are filled with at large bids like they used to be. That ensures that all of the biggest bowl games matter every year, and it gives the P5 conferences a guaranteed participant with G5 teams and Notre Dame having a chance to earn their way in. It would be an 8 team playoff with nobody getting a bye which I think fits college football much better than a 12 team playoff with teams getting byes. It also would preserve the pageantry of the bowl games. The semifinal and championship games could rotate through the sites like they do now.

I just feel like a 12 team playoff with a seemingly arbitrary selection process will make the whole thing seem stale.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Did you even read the comment I quoted and was replying to? That's exactly what he said. 4th best in the SEC wasn't champion so they shouldn't be playing for a title, even if they were the 4th ranked team in the country.
I've read Yeti's comment at least 6 times and yours as many. He said the fourth place team IN THE SEC should not be in and not that only conf champs would be in. In other words if you are fourth in your own conference how in the world can you play for the national championship.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I've read Yeti's comment at least 6 times and yours as many. He said the fourth place team IN THE SEC should not be in and not that only conf champs would be in. In other words if you are fourth in your own conference how in the world can you play for the national championship.
We were 4th in the ACC in 2004 when we went to the title game in basketball. Should we not have been allowed to play for a national championship because we were 4th in our conference?

I think that what we have now, 4 teams works. Frankly it is usually 3 teams that are the best and 1 gets in because. I think if you go back and look the committee gets it right. Now is there more money in expansion....yep. Can a conference make more....yep. But you can also end up where the best team does not win out and a 10th ranked team could. Funny how footballs can bounce.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
It will be off center either way you do it given conference weakness vs conference strengths. There’s no way to balance any ranking system when those Being compared against each other don’t actually play each other. You can look at individual conferences and determine rank within the conference because they actually play each other. Comparing a team from The ACC to a team to The Big 10 ultimately is a comparative between artificial standards derived from the individual who is judging. Since we don’t really know comparative truths we give our own values in the judgements. This team has a better defense, this team plays better WRs etc… The only true way to make a true ranking system is to have all teams play each other, which obviously can’t happen, anything else is a substitute for simply guessing.

As long as there are arbitrary standards (and it can’t be otherwise) then the power players will focus on their strengths in polling. If Tech could alter the universe the polls would favor the teams with higher grad rates in engineering. If I could rank the best looking men I would say those with Brown hair and Blue eyes are better going in, because it instantly qualifies me. The nature of competition is to compete, if bagmen are allowed because the big boys want them then there is truth in the thought that it’s Techs choice to play that game or not but then that won’t be the final answer either, it will turn to who cheats the betier.

as for Tech I like the aspect of the honest guys trying to beat the dishonest but I have no illusions, I know that somewhere in the world of college competition, Tech is exploiting its advantages also, they might be in Technology rather than QB passer ratings but somewhere Tech is pulling in more money than other Technology based schools, most likely because they’ve figured out how to exploit their position in that aspect. We tend to look at schools from a football perspective or sports competition perspective but Tech is exploiting something somewhere and it’s working or Tech would be a total football school.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We were 4th in the ACC in 2004 when we went to the title game in basketball. Should we not have been allowed to play for a national championship because we were 4th in our conference?
Basketball and football are different. NCAA tourney has 64 (66 or 68?) teams. You advocating 64 team football championship playoff. How about 128 teams. Allow all in FBS?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Basketball and football are different. NCAA tourney has 64 (66 or 68?) teams. You advocating 64 team football championship playoff. How about 128 teams. Allow all in FBS?
I’m for it. Just like hoops the regular season still would mean something because of seeds and home field playoff games. We’ll get to 32 teams within 20 years.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
And we’ve arrived full circle back to my original comment. The whole reason I made the original comment was because there is no difference between football and basketball. The best teams, regardless of where they finish in their conference, deserve a shot at the title. I haven’t advocated for a 68 team football tournament. I’ve advocated that, and this is using the example that I originally replied to, a team ranked fourth in the country but is also fourth in their conference deserves to be in the 12 team format. A 12 team format should include the best conference champions and the best remaining teams regardless of where they finished in their conference.

Nearly every other sport in college and nearly every pro league has a format that allows the best teams that didn’t win their conference/division/etc a chance to still win the title. For some reason people think that college football needs to be the exception and that expanding the playoffs will ruin everything, but it obviously won’t because it hasn’t ruined basketball/baseball/golf/volleyball/tennis etc.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think that what we have now, 4 teams works. Frankly it is usually 3 teams that are the best and 1 gets in because. I think if you go back and look the committee gets it right. Now is there more money in expansion....yep. Can a conference make more....yep. But you can also end up where the best team does not win out and a 10th ranked team could. Funny how footballs can bounce.
You hit the nail on the head - “Now is there more money…yep”. That’s all that matters. But the pursuit of money has another affect - it leads to fairness when more teams get a shot. I don’t care about the money because none of it is ending up in my pocket but I do care about fairness. And just like in hoops, if a team gets hot at the right time we could see a Villanova over Georgetown scenario. That Orange Bowl team we had would have been a tough out for any team id there was a post season tourney.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I hate it. The dwags are going to make the playoffs every year if they expand it to 12 teams. In hindsight, expanding it to 4 teams was a bad idea, as it has only widened the gap between the haves and have-nots.
Look at it this way, that’s one more game they get to lose every year

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
So sick of the same old factory teams playing for the championship and schools like Ohio State getting preferential treatment over the small programs. No chance of Cinderella ever. Hence I boycotted and didn't watch the national championship game for 2020 season. It's tiresome. It's corrupt. It's stupid. And it's a huge waste if time.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Whose arguing? This is a fun board and I for one like reading others opinions. Especially in the off season when nothing else is going on. I’ve never understood why folks get or feel offended by reading words on a message board. We are all on the same team and this space has replaced the after work bar scene. It’s a blast in my opinion.

It would be amazing they would just do a massive tournament, use the conf champs and ranking etc for seeding. We would get another month of fb!
Would have been something under the CPJ years. Can you imagine the team that draws Tech and has less than a week to get ready. Of course that being said our Qbs might not have made it through many games....win some lose some.