Potential playoff expansion

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
12 is fine, and better than what we have. I would have a different format though. All P5 conference champions get in automatically. Highest ranked G5 champion gets in automatically. Highest ranked 6 teams get in after that with a cap of 3 per conference.
This is how the proposed system will essentially work, but with an added filter that prevents 8-4 Oregon from getting in over 11-1 Cincinnati or something like that.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
This is how the proposed system will essentially work, but with an added filter that prevents 8-4 Oregon from getting in over 11-1 Cincinnati or something like that.
It would be really hard for an 11-1 Cincinnati team to be left out either way. What I don't want to see is the 5th best team in the SEC get in over the Pac-12 champ with a similar record.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It would be really hard for an 11-1 Cincinnati team to be left out either way. What I don't want to see is the 5th best team in the SEC get in over the Pac-12 champ with a similar record.
It wouldn't be hard at all to leave out an 11-1 Cincinnati team. If there is an undefeated G5 team, they could likely be ranked higher than Cincinnati. According to David Hale's chart of who would have made it into the CFP since 2014 if it was under this format, there is exactly 1 G5 team each year.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I think this increases the likelihood of ND joining the ACC. If they finish one year ranked 1-4 And miss a bye due to their Independent position, then lose to someone like Boise State all hell would break loose. Or if they lose a star player in that first round game it would be a disaster. ND would want that bye in my view, it makes you a top 8 team before you play any playoff game. Also Clemson will be forced to actually play 2-3 top OOC games in this format, The ACC Champ ( Clempson ) has on occasion played a pretty soft schedule and damn sure does this year. Until Fla St comes back up they have no real opposition to first in their division and they could find themselves coming in ranked 5-12 because of the conference weakness ( being truthful ). Just take a min and look at their division.

The ACC says they are looking at dropping the division’s in 2022 but they better make Clemson play something like Techs current schedule it cannot still be a Atlantic heavy schedule. Any team in the Costal could make a case for harder schedule right now.

The ACC needs to drop BC or Syracuse ( no offense meant CuseJacket )and add ND if this is adopted, ND will soon thereafter see the need to be a conference champion and if the ACC doesn't move away from the division format ND and Clemson still doesn’t outweigh a division with Miami, NC, Tech ( eventually ) and Va Tech, especially if one of these Costal teams cross division game is Clemson or ND.

this new format could really help or hurt The ACC but the ball would be in their court to make some productive moves
IMO the only thing that makes ND join a conference is losing their TV money, otherwise it ain't happening.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It wouldn't be hard at all to leave out an 11-1 Cincinnati team. If there is an undefeated G5 team, they could likely be ranked higher than Cincinnati. According to David Hale's chart of who would have made it into the CFP since 2014 if it was under this format, there is exactly 1 G5 team each year.
Even if an undefeated G5 team is above an 11-1 Cincy, which is unlikely unless its Boise St, Cincy will still probably be ranked high enough to get in. They get more respect than nearly every G5 program and they play in a conference that gets far more respect than any other G5 conference.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We weren’t. We were the 8th highest rated conf champion

I do think we get in in 09 as like a 10 seed. For 2014 I don’t think we would have made it and would be 1st or 2nd team out
We were ranked #12 when we beat #25 Clemp in the 2009 ACC Championship game & were ranked #9 after that game. You sure there were 7 other conference champions rated ahead of us in December 2009? Seems like a stretch.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Even if an undefeated G5 team is above an 11-1 Cincy, which is unlikely unless its Boise St, Cincy will still probably be ranked high enough to get in. They get more respect than nearly every G5 program and they play in a conference that gets far more respect than any other G5 conference.
In the past 7 years (during the CFP era), Cincinnati has been in the top 12 exactly 1 time. They were undefeated and conference champions at that one time. They have only been in the top 25 twice. In 2019, they had three losses and were ranked 21st. They were behind Wisconsin, Auburn, Michigan, and Iowa who were all three loss teams. I don't see any indication that Cincinnati is going to get a leg up over a 1 loss Penn State, or a 2 loss USC.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
For all the worry about scenarios, you’ll just have to do what the above 50 crowd has been doing since Ellie Mae with the Saginaw Times was picking the National Champion and that is just be patient because after another TV contract renewal or two it will get expanded again (thankfully). And don’t forget I don’t think conference realignment is over.

I‘m still shocked that it’s only going to be 24-25 years to go from the 1st BCS game to the 12 teams playoff. That is warp speed for this sport. That it will only take 8-9 years to go from 4 to 12 is amazing. We’ll finally get a December and January of good college football instead of a bunch of lame bowl games with opt outs and ridiculous matchups.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
In the past 7 years (during the CFP era), Cincinnati has been in the top 12 exactly 1 time. They were undefeated and conference champions at that one time. They have only been in the top 25 twice. In 2019, they had three losses and were ranked 21st. They were behind Wisconsin, Auburn, Michigan, and Iowa who were all three loss teams. I don't see any indication that Cincinnati is going to get a leg up over a 1 loss Penn State, or a 2 loss USC.
No, at 11-1 without a conference championship they won't get in over a 1 loss P5 program. That I agree with. They aren't really competing with that though. After you slot in the 6 conference champions, you have mostly two and three loss teams left. I think it's unlikely that six 2-3 loss P5 teams are going to be ranked over a 1 loss Cincy team. Admittedly, some of this depends on where they start as well. Next year they likely start the season in the top 10. If they only lose one game starting that high then they are in the playoffs for sure, whether they win their conference or not.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
No, at 11-1 without a conference championship they won't get in over a 1 loss P5 program. That I agree with. They aren't really competing with that though. After you slot in the 6 conference champions, you have mostly two and three loss teams left. I think it's unlikely that six 2-3 loss P5 teams are going to be ranked over a 1 loss Cincy team. Admittedly, some of this depends on where they start as well. Next year they likely start the season in the top 10. If they only lose one game starting that high then they are in the playoffs for sure, whether they win their conference or not.
Take a look at 2019. The six-seven 2-3 loss P5 teams they would be competing with were: mutts, Baylor, Wisconsin, Florida, Penn State, Utah, and Auburn. Utah is the only team in that list that doesn't have an excess of respect from commentators/media/CFP committee. Do you really think that if the choice for the last 2-3 spots is between Alabama, Auburn, Utah, Florida, Wisconsin, and Cincinnati that Cincinnati is going to receive the love? Not only do I not think they would get picked, I don't think they would have any shot at getting picked. I think the entire format is set up to get 11 P5 teams into a system that pays more money to the conferences. They are throwing a bone to the G5, but are still not providing any real opportunities. The G5 will get exactly 1 team in every single year. The G5 team will be forced to play in a play in game every single year, no matter how strong the team actually is. There will be 1 G5 team out of 54 every year. There will be 10 or 11 P5 teams out of 54 every year. 10 or 11 will depend on if ND makes it in or not.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Take a look at 2019. The six-seven 2-3 loss P5 teams they would be competing with were: mutts, Baylor, Wisconsin, Florida, Penn State, Utah, and Auburn. Utah is the only team in that list that doesn't have an excess of respect from commentators/media/CFP committee. Do you really think that if the choice for the last 2-3 spots is between Alabama, Auburn, Utah, Florida, Wisconsin, and Cincinnati that Cincinnati is going to receive the love? Not only do I not think they would get picked, I don't think they would have any shot at getting picked. I think the entire format is set up to get 11 P5 teams into a system that pays more money to the conferences. They are throwing a bone to the G5, but are still not providing any real opportunities. The G5 will get exactly 1 team in every single year. The G5 team will be forced to play in a play in game every single year, no matter how strong the team actually is. There will be 1 G5 team out of 54 every year. There will be 10 or 11 P5 teams out of 54 every year. 10 or 11 will depend on if ND makes it in or not.
If Cincy had one loss in 2019 and didn't win their conference then that means they beat Ohio St on the road, along with UCF, and Memphis. I think almost certainly they get in in that circumstance. This year they get Notre Dame and Indiana in addition to the AAC schedule. In order to lose one game without winning the conference they have to beat both. Do you think they aren't getting in starting in the top 10, beating ND and Indiana, and only losing one game?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If Cincy had one loss in 2019 and didn't win their conference then that means they beat Ohio St on the road, along with UCF, and Memphis. I think almost certainly they get in in that circumstance. This year they get Notre Dame and Indiana in addition to the AAC schedule. In order to lose one game without winning the conference they have to beat both. Do you think they aren't getting in starting in the top 10, beating ND and Indiana, and only losing one game?
Only if they are the top G5 team. If they are not the top G5 team, then no I do not think they would get in.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck

Last edited:

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Why are so many backside hurt about the SEC? Listen, the entire system is corrupt. From the NCAA offices down to the bagmen and high school coaches. Athletics is a combination of high IQ thieves and low IQ others. It‘s all about the money in both professional and so called amateur sports. Owners in the pros bring the real money with the players fighting for the rest. In amateur sports the colleges build temples for athletics while those in charge take the money. And they all have scumbags from testosterone to pedos to bagmen none of it is on the up and up.

We know all that and still watch and spend our money for it. The SEC simply does it better. I for one admire them. Obviously, UGA can bite me but the entire SEC puts more effort and money into athletics. So don’t hate the player, hate the game. If you really are honest we’ve all been flipping the channels and have the choice to watch Florida vs. Ole Miss or VT vs. NC State. I know which one I’m watching and it ain’t the Hokies. Clemson has shown that any mid pack team can control their own destiny if they really wanted. It’s called spending money on facilities, coaches, and bagmen and then take any player who can make the NCAA minimum score. That’s all it takes. Most teams don’t do that yet they whine about those that do. I just don’t understand that mentality.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Why are so many backside hurt about the SEC? Listen, the entire system is corrupt. From the NCAA offices down to the bagmen and high school coaches. Athletics is a combination of high IQ thieves and low IQ others. It‘s all about the money in both professional and so called amateur sports. Owners in the pros bring the real money with the players fighting for the rest. In amateur sports the colleges build temples for athletics while those in charge take the money. And they all have scumbags from testosterone to pedos to bagmen none of it is on the up and up.

We know all that and still watch and spend our money for it. The SEC simply does it better. I for one admire them. Obviously, UGA can bite me but the entire SEC puts more effort and money into athletics. So don’t hate the player, hate the game. If you really are honest we’ve all been flipping the channels and have the choice to watch Florida vs. Ole Miss or VT vs. NC State. I know which one I’m watching and it ain’t the Hokies. Clemson has shown that any mid pack team can control their own destiny if they really wanted. It’s called spending money on facilities, coaches, and bagmen and then take any player who can make the NCAA minimum score. That’s all it takes. Most teams don’t do that yet they whine about those that do. I just don’t understand that mentality.
Not wanting a 12 team playoff to be flooded with teams from one conference isn't really hating the conference. I don't really care which conference it is. I don't want to see 4-5 Big 10 teams either.

Not wanting a 12 team playoff to be flooded with teams from one conference isn't really hating the conference. I don't really care which conference it is. I don't want to see 4-5 Big 10 teams either.
What I perceive is College Football is fast becoming like Pro Football. We now have free agents. We are about to start paying the big name players. And now we are talking about an NFL style playoff system. All things that used to be not in College Football and made it special. But I guess with TV what it has become.......

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
12 is fine, and better than what we have. I would have a different format though. All P5 conference champions get in automatically. Highest ranked G5 champion gets in automatically. Highest ranked 6 teams get in after that with a cap of 3 per conference.
Your idea solves "problem" of a conference being over represented... but creates one of not fielding a playoff with the best teams (potentially) if a P5 conference champ pulls a big upset (ie a Coastal ACC champ... as currently configured) ...as much as it hurts to say that.

Hopefully... this move will encourage ACC to blow up divisions to avoid a CCG that doesn't involve best 2 teams in ACC.

Based on that chart posted earlier in thread... 4 was the most any conference would have had & most years 3 was max. That's fine with me. Your idea isn't crazy... but the 4th best SEC team may deserve to be in a 12 team playoff in some years.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow

Here's the thing about the playoff money bonanza. The old line players ( SEC and Big10 and the other conferences, Rose Bowl, Notre Dame, Downtown Athletic Club Heisman, UGA and Oklahoma - sued the NCAA for tv rights,ESPN, SugarBowl, Orange Bowl, etc) feel like they created this money machine. And by God they are going to share as little as possible with the new comers: Boise St, AAC, WAC, Sunbelt, etc. They don't care what we as fans want to see. They (the old line actors) look at what they have created and they are the ones who are going to profit from it.

The old guard looks at what has happened to the NCAA BB tournament and says no way. If they went with guaranteed conference bids to all conferences like the NCAA, any crappy old teams with no tradition, money or fans can form a conference and start sucking off playoff teat.

It is all about the TV money and keeping as much in the power brokers' back pockets as possible. Let the peasants eat cake - give them as little as possible. They will set it up so most normal years the G5 conferences only get 1 team in.