Potential playoff expansion

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Also just wanna point out that with this system GT would have been in the playoffs in 1990, 1998, 2009, and 2014. So, we would realistically be moving from making the playoffs maybe once a generation to probably once a decade.
Are you sure we would have been in in 09 and 14? It would have been contingent on a selection committee picking us each year. Just eyeballing if we would have been on the bubble both times

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
We won the ACC in 2009. Pretty sure we were a Top 6 Conference champion.
We weren’t. We were the 8th highest rated conf champion

I do think we get in in 09 as like a 10 seed. For 2014 I don’t think we would have made it and would be 1st or 2nd team out

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this increases the likelihood of ND joining the ACC. If they finish one year ranked 1-4 And miss a bye due to their Independent position, then lose to someone like Boise State all hell would break loose. Or if they lose a star player in that first round game it would be a disaster. ND would want that bye in my view, it makes you a top 8 team before you play any playoff game. Also Clemson will be forced to actually play 2-3 top OOC games in this format, The ACC Champ ( Clempson ) has on occasion played a pretty soft schedule and damn sure does this year. Until Fla St comes back up they have no real opposition to first in their division and they could find themselves coming in ranked 5-12 because of the conference weakness ( being truthful ). Just take a min and look at their division.

The ACC says they are looking at dropping the division’s in 2022 but they better make Clemson play something like Techs current schedule it cannot still be a Atlantic heavy schedule. Any team in the Costal could make a case for harder schedule right now.

The ACC needs to drop BC or Syracuse ( no offense meant CuseJacket )and add ND if this is adopted, ND will soon thereafter see the need to be a conference champion and if the ACC doesn't move away from the division format ND and Clemson still doesn’t outweigh a division with Miami, NC, Tech ( eventually ) and Va Tech, especially if one of these Costal teams cross division game is Clemson or ND.

this new format could really help or hurt The ACC but the ball would be in their court to make some productive moves

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think this increases the likelihood of ND joining the ACC. If they finish one year ranked 1-4 And miss a bye due to their Independent position, then lose to someone like Boise State all hell would break loose. Or if they lose a star player in that first round game it would be a disaster. ND would want that bye in my view, it makes you a top 8 team before you play any playoff game.
I 100% disagree with this assertion. I think exactly the opposite. I think this further emboldens ND boosters to apply pressure to the school to stay independent. As it sits now, they have to be one of the Top4 teams to make the playoffs. That's tough year-in/year-out. However, if we move to a Top12 with 6 conference champions and 6 at-large bids, that elevates their chances to be in the Playoffs tremendously. Don't underestimate ND boosters' desire to stay independent in football. There is VERY strong support for that and a tremendous push against it.

If it's the Top6+2 or even Top10+2, I think ND joins the ACC. If it's the Top6+6, no way.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Under what is proposed, I wonder what that means for ND. The current suggestion is that only the 4 highest ranked champs could get a bye. Would this mean that ND could never get a bye?
ND (or any other independent) should not be allowed a bye cause they don't have to play in the extra championship game. Just think of the conference championship games as the first round. The top four champions just get their week off after the championship weekend rather than during it.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
This puts a premium on the depth of elite teams in a conference. If Miami, VT, UNC, FSU and yes even GT, would start playing high-level football. This would be a boom to the ACC.

We are just going through a protracted slump from some brand football programs, and an incredible dominant period from Clemson.

I don't think this helps ND join at all. If anything it solidifies their independence.

So if this is top ranked conferences and their champions, ie PAC 12 maybe left out one year. This thing is DOA. For all the conferences and ND to agree, all P5 champions auto qualify and ND, unless they are a 4 loss team. That said the remaining picks, 3 will be SEC and 3 will be B1G leaving the rest still looking outside in. Nothing changes as it probably should just stay with the current system or go back to the BCS.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I think this increases the likelihood of ND joining the ACC. If they finish one year ranked 1-4 And miss a bye due to their Independent position, then lose to someone like Boise State all hell would break loose. Or if they lose a star player in that first round game it would be a disaster. ND would want that bye in my view, it makes you a top 8 team before you play any playoff game. Also Clemson will be forced to actually play 2-3 top OOC games in this format, The ACC Champ ( Clempson ) has on occasion played a pretty soft schedule and damn sure does this year. Until Fla St comes back up they have no real opposition to first in their division and they could find themselves coming in ranked 5-12 because of the conference weakness ( being truthful ). Just take a min and look at their division.

The ACC says they are looking at dropping the division’s in 2022 but they better make Clemson play something like Techs current schedule it cannot still be a Atlantic heavy schedule. Any team in the Costal could make a case for harder schedule right now.

The ACC needs to drop BC or Syracuse ( no offense meant CuseJacket )and add ND if this is adopted, ND will soon thereafter see the need to be a conference champion and if the ACC doesn't move away from the division format ND and Clemson still doesn’t outweigh a division with Miami, NC, Tech ( eventually ) and Va Tech, especially if one of these Costal teams cross division game is Clemson or ND.

this new format could really help or hurt The ACC but the ball would be in their court to make some productive moves
ACC isn’t dropping anyone.

Um Clemson plays Georgia this year and has South Carolina. Not exactly cupcake schedule.

Deleted member 2897

In fairness, they're not including Notre Dame in the ACC here. Notre Dame plays in the ACC in all sports, except in football where they play a half an ACC schedule. And they played a full ACC schedule last year in football. We're actually the #3 conference on that chart in terms of number of teams included when you account for that...and that feels about right.

I'm also confused about how they're coming up with that chart. Note in 2019 that the SEC has 3 teams listed, but Alabama isn't one of them. Alabama went 11-2 in 2019 and finished ranked #8. They were ranked inside the top 10 all season.

YellowJacket55

Georgia Tech Fan
With our already incredible recruiting momentum I think this is good news for the program. It’s now MUCH more realistic for us to make the playoff, which could start to even the playing field in recruiting (factories not being guaranteed as many in state and close to home 4 stars and even 5 stars) and become sort of a feedback loop.