Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dettmann1

Georgia Tech Fan
Interesting. But a cautionary note: Georgia Tech would be his 12th college coaching job in 22 years. One assumes he leaves the motor running, and Tech should make no retirement plans.

I think the fact this would be his third stint at GT in some capacity is a good sign. While he does hop, he has managed to work his way back to GT each time. I wouldn't be suprised if he hopped again, just saying I think we stand a better chance of him staying more than 2 years.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. But a cautionary note: Georgia Tech would be his 12th college coaching job in 22 years. One assumes he leaves the motor running, and Tech should make no retirement plans.

yup, brought up like 30 pages ago you are right.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Here's hoping coach Collins will be announced, seems like a good fit. We all said that a younger coach would be good but also be a stepping stone to something bigger. Well it looks like he's doing that with Temple. Im curious what would happen with Nate Woody, sucks for him to come here only 1 season, there was a lot of potential with his defense. And we just moved away from a 4-3 from Roof

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Yes, really a "no win" situation with GT and longevity. If he is not successful, we have to find another coach. If he is successful, we have to find another coach. With that said, we all want him to be successful.

Again, not trying to beat a "dead horse", but PJ's system is the only reason we did not lose him sooner, and if rumors are correct, he could have gone early on after his initial success here. PJ has never been a "job chaser", which most of these guys are.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Dmo was hired by Chan; and back then due to rules etc put on as admin staff. Although technically correct, should Collins choose to use that head for another person he can do that.
Coach chan and Coach were less of the rah rah type. Plus our a lot of current staff is eligible for social security.
I think GC highly values motivation by the position coaches. IT WAS PELTONS LAST YEAR BEFORE HE BEGAN MOTIVATING ALL THE PLAYERS BETWEEN SERIES.

S

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
This is how you bring excitement and flash to a program desperately need it.

Good Lord after a Decade the Triple slOption Era is Finally Over !!!!!!

https://goo.gl/images/ReqF2o
Yea, I hate Orange Bowls and Conf Championships too.

You can be excited about the new regime (which I am) and still respect the accomplishments of the old. No need to bash Johnson and staff, especially given what they achieved and the good they did for the program in their time here.

sc jacket 22

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, really a "no win" situation with GT and longevity. If he is not successful, we have to find another coach. If he is successful, we have to find another coach. With that said, we all want him to be successful.

Again, not trying to beat a "dead horse", but PJ's system is the only reason we did not lose him sooner, and if rumors are correct, he could have gone early on after his initial success here. PJ has never been a "job chaser", which most of these guys are.
If we're consistently beating Clemson / winning ACC championships, then all of a sudden Tech becomes a VERY desirable job with more potential for longevity. Can we please just enjoy having the guy before we start freaking out about him leaving?!

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Friends let's all remember that CPJ has spent a decade at GT tilling the soil and tossing out rocks, hell he even had to resort to using Round Up when MBob was here, to break through the rancid soil and established a solid foundation which I hope that the next HC can build upon. It will be hard to say that coach _______ is so much better if they take off and have a extremely successful season(s) because someone came before them and rolled up their sleeves and did the dirty work despite not being able to stick around long enough to enjoy the fruits of their labor or worked alongside of a AD who understood them.
Hopefully GT will be able to establish a more realistic aggressive budget to build upon a larger recruiting staff, and coaches who are developing and attainable/sustainable.
#1 or #1b wish is that the new HC is a reasonable/responsible consumer/guardian of those monies and spends it well. We don't have to have the most/largest budget but let's SPEND WISELY!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It seems a little puzzling to me that from all indications only two candidates were interviewed. Clemson's Scott was called "a candidate" but that is beyond doubtful as nobody ever talked to him. More like message board hopes probably. But if the job is that desirable, where were the candidates?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If we're consistently beating Clemson / winning ACC championships, then all of a sudden Tech becomes a VERY desirable job with more potential for longevity. Can we please just enjoy having the guy before we start freaking out about him leaving?!

Yes, if we can afford to pay a coach like the factories, which at least history says we cannot or do not. Some coaches actually prefer to make more $$, and they also like to recruit where they are not as handicapped, so my original statement stands - unless Clem'sSon start recruiting at a very low level or has bad coaching, we probably won't be soon "beating them consistently", but we can hope.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Collins is back at Temple this morning. If he plans to be part of the news conference this afternoon, he will be building up his frequent flyer points this weekend. It is also possible that this is not yet a done deal.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
It seems a little puzzling to me that from all indications only two candidates were interviewed. Clemson's Scott was called "a candidate" but that is beyond doubtful as nobody ever talked to him. More like message board hopes probably. But if the job is that desirable, where were the candidates?
I thought Mike Norvell and Seth Littrell also interviewed? Anyways It sounded like there was a lot of interest, but TSTAN only interviewed a few candidates based on what he saw

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow

Littrell (N. Texas) and Mike Norvell (Memphis) were said to have interviewed or met with Todd. He said it himself - he's not doing this publicly.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yes, if we can afford to pay a coach like the factories, which at least history says we cannot or do not. Some coaches actually prefer to make more $$, and they also like to recruit where they are not as handicapped, so my original statement stands - unless Clem'sSon start recruiting at a very low level or has bad coaching, we probably won't be soon "beating them consistently", but we can hope.
I think you're pretty much on target. We need to compete with Clemson. But that is now a powerhouse in college football and getting better. It is just the way of things. Clemson and Georgia are out of reach except for the ability to make them sweat for a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.